R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epiphone "Valve Junior"  (Read 39500 times)

Podgorny

Re: RE: loading of power amps
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »

maarvold wrote on Sat, 06 December 2008 10:43

if I had any complaint it would be that it's just a teeny bit less dynamic than I am used to".  I thought about this on the way home, then remembered--we were totally roaring through a single 12" [25 watt Celestion] speaker.  I'll bet the lone speaker just wasn't quite paying off for him like a half stack would.

No, he's right.
The VJR is a cool amp (and I miss mine), but it doesn't offer the expression nor the tightness of a larger amp - And you shouldn't expect it to.  It's an inexpensive low-wattage amp that is a great deal, even with the mods.  Just don't fool yourself into thinking it's as responsive as a hiwatt.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

andychamp

Re: Epiphone "Valve Junior"
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2009, 05:37:32 PM »

Fletcher wrote

(...) then again 4x 10" cabs are pretty cool in general [ours is a Marshall... I have no idea of the model number].

Well, the "1965A" I recently discovered is brilliant! And it's cute. I should take "before & after" pictures of guitar players' faces. 1st when they see it, and then when they hear it.

Fletcher wrote

I think 4x 10's are better for metal and industrial than 4x 12's as you can kinda 'imply' the bottom and leave some room for the bass... but that could just be me.

You were right. No more fighting for frequency territory, even with downtuned gtrs.
André
______
"Curiosity is the nemesis of fear!"

hargerst

Re: Epiphone "Valve Junior"
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2009, 01:11:52 PM »

An even cheaper solution is a Fender Frontman 15 (with an 8 Ohm output jack on the front).  Hook it up to a Marshall 4x12 cab and pure heaven.  You can usually find them on Craigslist selling for $25 to $45.

Yes, it's not a tube amp, but....

The amp on the left is a Marshall 100 watt into a 4x12 Marshall cab.  The amp on the right is a Fender Frontman 15 into a 4x12 Marshall cab:

http://www.itrstudio.com/Metal%20Guitars.mp3

It has a nice clean channel, and a dirty channel.

Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

C.Cash

Re: RE: loading of power amps
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2009, 11:58:01 AM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Sat, 29 November 2008 18:19

Michael,

The flavour that you are enjoying is the saturation and early clipping of the under-damped output stage, as the output transformer generates more voltage in the secondary (less current), saturates sooner and produces all those lovely harmonics.

I have a '62 Bassman head which I ran for many years into an 8-ohm cab. I didn't mind that it wasn't louder, because it produced the perfect tone for me at a manageable on-stage volume. (I didn't know at the time that the Bassman was designed for a 4-ohm cab, as it didn't say it on the amp, and reference material was limited back then.) The amp has survived unharmed to this day .

Underloading (as long as it's kept within reasonable limits) is less risky than overloading, because you're transferring less power, not more. But go too far in this direction too, and damage will result to both transformer and tubes from the continuous overshoot.

+1 Bassman into 8ohm cabinet, soooo nice, and still quite loud.

BEAUTIFUL THICK LOVELY TONE! my Tele never sounded so wonderful.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.