R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Epiphone "Valve Junior"  (Read 39490 times)

Neal Ward

Re: Epiphone "Valve Junior"
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 07:18:02 PM »

Based on the comments in this thread I just got the valve junior head.  I replaced the sovtek tubes it came with a couple NOS RCA tubes I had and it made a huge improvement.  The distortion and tone are much smoother without the sovteks (I always find them to be kind of "spitty" or square wavish sounding).  Another treat was putting a 12AU7 in place of the 12AX7.  This gave me a great rhythm gtr track with that lovely soft crunch where every note in the chord is pretty clean with just a touch of distortion.  The 12AU7 worked especially well through open back cabs which opened up the high end more.  I'm seriously considering getting another Valve Jr. and keeping one for the big fuzz of the 12AX7 and one for the rhythm tone.  Nice call Fletcher!
Neal
silvertonerec.com
Silvertonerec@msn.com

zekmoe

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 07:31:22 PM »

I have one, amongst many cool amps, and for me, it's the best $99 amp you can buy. Some cool, if limited tones, can be used with a variety of cabinets (try an 4-12, then an open back 1-12), and is sort of creating it's own underground mod community. Plus it really looks cool. The head is totally worth it. I bought an EarCandy 1-12 specifically for it and it's my office stack of doom!
Bob
Not a downstroke, fistpicker.

daniel

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 08:05:49 AM »

i just bought one of the new Orange amp heads.  it's called the tiny terror.  it's about the size of a small api lunchbox.  looks eastern block built - all metal, lot's of venting, and an industrial handle.  it's 7 watts or 15 watts (switchable).  it's really cool in the same way the valve junior is.  little box, lots of sounds to be had.  but the tiny can really get loud if you want it to.  and it's built like a fuckin' tank.  

i don't know if it's worth the extra $500 you'll spend on it over the epiphone but maybe i'll know in the long run with maintenance.  just thought i'd hip people to it.  great studio amp.  ya'll should demo one.  

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/ortitehe15wa.html

spoon

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »

Threads on both of these two have been beat to hell and back on the GS forums...

Anyway, I have both the TinyTerror and the Valve Jr.
They both exist quit happily with each other and are very complimentary.

The VJR is darker and a bit less focused in the lows (not saying that is bad, just presenting it as a characteristic).   According to their literature, Epiphone was going for a "vintage" sound....take that FWIW.

The TT is tighter, has a tone control as well as a master volume/gain switch witch makes it very versatile (and able to achieve crazy gain).

I have loads of fun running them both thru my 1960A in stereo mode using a switcher (and loads of pedals too).

Fun and crazy looking setup ifin I were to ever play out with that it.  
I am currently looking into a 2X12 convertible with the Marshall switcher for a more reasonable live rig.

Both are great and the VJR is soooo cheap (like FX pedal cheap) I see there no reason not to have two or more with various mods.

I am getting another to try the "stand-by" switch mod and the "more clean tone" mod.

Regards,
David

daniel wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 07:05

i just bought one of the new Orange amp heads.  it's called the tiny terror.  it's about the size of a small api lunchbox.  looks easter block built - all metal, lot's of venting, and an industrial handle.  it's 7 watts or 15 watts (switchable).  it's really cool in the same way the valve junior is.  little box, lots of sounds to be had.  but the tiny can really get loud if you want it to.  and it's built like a fuckin' tank.  

i don't know if it's worth the extra $500 you'll spend on it over the epiphone but maybe i'll know in the long run with maintenance.  just thought i'd hip people to it.  great studio amp.  ya'll should demo one.  

Coco

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:47 PM »

daniel wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 13:05

i just bought one of the new Orange amp heads.  it's called the tiny terror.  it's about the size of a small api lunchbox.  looks eastern block built - all metal, lot's of venting, and an industrial handle.  it's 7 watts or 15 watts (switchable).  it's really cool in the same way the valve junior is.  little box, lots of sounds to be had.  but the tiny can really get loud if you want it to.  and it's built like a fuckin' tank.  

Matamp makes a small, hand built one too that is supposed to be better and slightly cheaper than the Orange Tiny Terror. I've heard neither so I'll just shut up now.
Colin G.

ziggy

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 08:22:58 AM »

has anyone also tried out the extension cabinet for the valve junior? it looks very nice, but how does it sound?

greetings
luc

E.P.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »

These are very nice to add to those small amps. Blurb from the Barber site.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/images/Barb_EQweb.jpg

The Barber Barb E.Q.is now shipping, list price $149.95

Three classic EQ sounds direct from their vintage amp circuits...add Blackface, High wattage Tweed and British "stack" EQ to your current amplifier rig!

This EQ is magic with simple amplifiers that have only a volume or Volume and a single tone control. The Barb E.Q is a high headroom classic EQ that adds no overdrive to your signal yet imparts the famous "sound prints" of classic amplifiers.

The Barber Barb E.Q. uses a high voltage internal supply, makes 9 volts into 24 volts for superior headroom.

True bypass

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »

I'm on my way to pick up one of these guys....  What I'd love to do is figure out how to wire it so that I can run it directly into the input of another amp (like a Garnet Herzog).  Should be pretty simple I think.  Wouldn't I simply need a 5 watt resistor/potentiometer across the output?
Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

Kendrix

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 05:45:43 PM »

I just picked one up.   How could you not. The class a Tone per dollar ratio is too good to resist. It seems a bit dark.  However it makes up for that in vibey tone and responsiveness - and there are ways to adjust the tone elsewhere.

The hum issue seems absent.
However, How can i confirm that Ive got the new design?
The face plate has two racing stripes running across.
The serial numer begins 0506... I expect that would indicate May of 06?
The moroons at banjo center could not confirm the vintage.

Epi just launhed a cab for it at NAMM. Im not sure of the price.

Im running it into  Seymour Duncan convertible 100 cab.
Do ya think a speaker rated for less power will impact the sound much?

So far so good.
Ken Favata

littlehat

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 03:29:42 AM »

Kendrix wrote on Sun, 21 January 2007 17:45

The moroons at banjo center could not confirm the vintage.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

How many new names for that crapyard can we come up with?
I'm starting a new thread right now.

Push the RED button!

Kendrix

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 09:13:46 AM »

Anyone know whether or not its possible to tap off one of the three speaker outputs, use some resistors to enable an effects send or an input to another amp?
Ken Favata

iCombs

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 12:14:44 PM »

You could do it with the line output on a THD Hotplate...I know some guys that do...
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

littlehat

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:45 PM »

You can do this with a standard DI box that allows a speaker level input. The cheapest would be the behringer...

http://www.behringer.com/GI100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Push the RED button!

sparklehorse

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 09:44:29 PM »

I've had mine for about 4 months and use it primarily with my Avatar 2x12 open back cabinet with vintage 30's.  One thing I've noticed is how good it "takes" stomp boxes.  From my Big Muff, Rat or Overdrive pedal they all sound great with this amp.  You can get a lot of different sounds out of this $100 amp!

snaggle

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 11:27:55 PM »

i heard the tiny combo before the head came out (and the other combos suck ass btw), and thought to myself this probably sounds amazing through a 4x12, so i plugged into one and dug the shit out of it, then heard the head as well.. good shit, you really cant go too wrong when one or two knobs are involved, you start having twenty on a rig is when you have problems, maybe marshall should take a look at that concept and not call it a reissue and charge way too much like they do. (yes i know of no marshall with two knobs, so dont bother telling me)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.