R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: just curious..why SSL is famous?  (Read 39751 times)

Sarusan

Re: just curious..why SSL is famous?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 09:35:38 PM »

I'm with William.  Those who think that an SSL or new Neve give you more flexibility don't know how to use a patch bay creatively.

Steven

Reitzas

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 09:50:52 PM »

Sarusan wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 18:35

I'm with William.  Those who think that an SSL or new Neve give you more flexibility don't know how to use a patch bay creatively.

Steven

??

Those who limit themselves to a patchbay for flexibility don't know how to creatively use an SSL or new Neve. Smile

Dave Reitzas
http://www.reitzas.com

rnicklaus

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 09:56:24 PM »

Les Ismore wrote on Thu, 11 January 2007 15:22

Personaly, I always blamed SSL for putting a compressor on every channel.

It's all SSLs fault.

In the mid '70's. the Console at Gold Star had a compressor/limiter on every channel, if my memory serves me well.
R.N.

maxim

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 10:15:09 PM »

pete wrote:

"It's all SSLs fault"

anything that has a triple letter acronym for a name can't be good for dynamics

thedoc

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 10:17:27 PM »

Nicklaus, Your memory serves you right.  I owned it for a while.  It had those long thin compression meters for each channel.  Dave Gold designed the compressors using light bulbs and photo resistors.
The surface was one big piece that was milled out and the mic input transformers were those tiny Beyer cans.  Electronics were similiar to old Quad Eight consoles in that it all was hand wired card frames with plug in cards.
Doc

Bill Mueller

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »

I am in no way against William. He has a perfect right to his views. He earned it.

However, the patch bay comment is silly. Razz

(I do not own an SSL at this time, but I have made lots of ((what I consider)), good recordings on them... and a Neve 8068, Neve 5404, Neve 8036, Neotek, Trident, Auditronics, API, MCI, Flickinger, Sontec, ITI and Yamaha consoles.)

In the end, at least to me, the music is much more important than the gear.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

wwittman

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 11:52:08 PM »

Bill you mean the fact that you can do some things without PATCHING makes it by definition capable of "doing things no other desk can do"?????

the music of course matters most.

but we STILL choose to make that music with this guitar or that, this drum or that, this MIC or that, this desk or that  and in this room or that...

desks aren't the most important thing.
But they make a big difference and it's only natural for discerning popele to have PREFERENCES.

I would never say I can't make a record on an SSL... I say I PREFER not to. (or a Neve V by the same token)

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Les Ismore

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 12:04:32 AM »

maxim wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 19:15

pete wrote:

"It's all SSLs fault"

If you take the "L" out you have the "SS", the dreaded fascism enforcers. It's the bloody 3rd Riech come back to control the musical world for 1000 years.

"You VILL not huv any dynamics in der poopular music!" (feigning german accent)
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

Bill Mueller

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 12:16:47 AM »

William,

I found Steven's "you don't know how to use a patchbay creatively" line to be demeaning and silly among professionals. If we are going to argue something to death, how about let's argue about something really worthy, like 96K A-D converters, or Pro Tools verses Logic Pro. How bout Mac versus PC? Wink

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

J.J. Blair

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2007, 12:21:41 AM »

Or analog vs. digital?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2007, 10:25:55 AM »

Or The Beatles v. Herman's Hermits.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2007, 10:31:59 AM »

Les Ismore wrote on Sat, 13 January 2007 05:04

maxim wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 19:15

pete wrote:

"It's all SSLs fault"

If you take the "L" out you have the "SS", the dreaded fascism enforcers. It's the bloody 3rd Riech come back to control the musical world for 1000 years.

"You VILL not huv any dynamics in der poopular music!" (feigning german accent)

Didn't they have to change the name to compressor, initially calling it "oppressor"?

This reminds me of one of the best posts here ever:

Peter Weihe wrote on Fri, 10 November 2006 22:32

Ven vee mate se first stereo recorting in 1943 in Germany wizz V41 mikrophone amplifiers we only hat too directions:
Left and Right. And Left was forbidden!
Fotunately zee Allies brought uss se middle point back in 1945!
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

J.J. Blair

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2007, 12:31:30 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 13 January 2007 07:25

Or The Beatles v. Herman's Hermits.

There's a toilet flush ... all over the world, tonight.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

djui5

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2007, 03:37:32 PM »

wwittman wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 15:51

ON an 8078, I have 22 busses I can use as 'sends' in addition to the 8 dedicated sends..

Well that's why I said except for a few. There are some consoles out there with similar flexibility and options as the SSLs have, but most consoles don't have that kinda luxury.

I'm not entirely familiar with the newer Neves and what they are capable of. I imagine some of them do as much, if not more than an SSL can. I do know the 9098i is more flexible than a 9J, and sounds a hell of a lot better too.

In general though, save FOR A FEW consoles, the SSLs can and do a lot more.

The original poster asked why SSLs were so famous. The answer is they do things MOST consoles can do, or are not set up to do AS EASILY. They also have a large footprint, which is somewhat "awe inspiring" to clients, well some of them anyway. They look nice in a studio, and to some people that matters.

If we want to debate the audio qualitites of a desk versus the flexibility I'd be happy to state my case that the 9098i is the greatest console ever produced. Some won't agree, you have the Neve 88R and API Vision which run in the class, and others prefer older consoles without all the bells and whistles. I don't recall many people saying the SSLs sound better than any other console out there, but that the SSL sound is "famous" as so many songs/hits have been mixed/recorded on them that people are familiar with the sound, the sonic footprint of the console.

My apologies for "assuming" you have a "hatred" for modern working techniques.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

stevieeastend

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2007, 03:45:55 PM »

djui5 wrote on Sat, 13 January 2007 20:37

wwittman wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 15:51

ON an 8078, I have 22 busses I can use as 'sends' in addition to the 8 dedicated sends..

In general though the SSLs can do a lot more.

They look nice in a studio, and to some people that matters.

The SSL sound is "famous" as so many songs/hits have been mixed/recorded on them that people are familiar with the sound, the sonic footprint of the console.

That sums it up nicely, SSL makes things quite easy.. at least to me..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.