R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors near front wall wall  (Read 3210 times)

Ciaran Ryan

Monitors near front wall wall
« on: March 15, 2007, 11:50:58 AM »

Hello,

I've been trying out different setups for my midfield monitors ( ATC SCM100A's) moving the mix position about and moving the monitors about taking measurements with fuzz measure and listening to reference tracks. I've moved them up against the front wall of the control room and really like how the wall loads the low end, its like having a sub, I feel it may help my mixes cause they are usually bass heavy and end up being harsh when I try to correct this by adding highs or removing lows or low mids. The down side of this monitor position is that there is the inevitable notch in the low mids due to the front wall at approx 150Hz and nearly 30dB down. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to have the monitors this close to the wall and install some form of absorber or resonator to cure the notch, by the way to make matters even more difficult there is a long window behind the monitors too!

Thanks in advance

Ciaran Ryan.

Ethan Winer

Re: Monitors near front wall wall
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 05:14:55 PM »

Ciaran,

All rooms have numerous peaks and deep nulls throughout the entire low end. The solution in all cases is the same - as many bass traps as you can manage. You're on the right track using FuzzMeasure to help find the best speaker and listener placements, but you still need a lot of bass trapping regardless.

--Ethan

franman

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 03:25:06 PM »

You can cetainly widen the Q and hopefully lessen the depth of your SBI notch with the addition of bass trapping. You don't mention your room treatments in your post. We typically have some deep trapping in the front corners for any free standing monitor configuration. We still get a SBI notch, but you can 'optimize' this by making a proper tradeoff between low frequency boost and mid bass-midrange freq response... It's all a series of comprimises... welcome to my world!!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

barefoot

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 01:26:07 PM »

Ciaran Ryan wrote on Thu, 15 March 2007 08:50

The down side of this monitor position is that there is the inevitable notch in the low mids due to the front wall at approx 150Hz and nearly 30dB down.

You will have more problem frequencies than just 150Hz.  Sound wraps around the speakers, bounces off the front wall, and interferes with the direct signal well into the midrange.   Check out my Wall Bounce Calculator.   http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=630

Thomas

Thomas Barefoot
 Barefoot Recording Monitors

Consul

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »

Holy cow! You are still around, Thomas!

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Wink
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

barefoot

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 06:24:03 PM »

Can't post as much I used to, but I'm still around.  Smile
Thomas Barefoot
 Barefoot Recording Monitors

Consul

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 07:34:36 PM »

We miss you over on the Prodigy Pro forums. Smile

(Sorry for the hijack, folks. I promise this will be my last off-topic post.)
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.