R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidechain Limiting  (Read 2945 times)

Mark Fuller

Sidechain Limiting
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »

Curious how folks are using sidechain control of your limiters.

I'm especially interested in knowing what you're using for the sidechain input/source.

Pre-eq? Pre all other processing?

Any and all perspective on this would be greatly appreciated and devoured.

Thanks folks!

Mark

bblackwood

Re: Sidechain Limiting
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »

Hey mark, do you mean limiters in the modern sense or are you referring to compressors/limiters as limiters (the old school sense)?

With digital limiters (hard limiters) I can't say I've tried using a SC EQ. Interesting prospect. Do digital limiters have SC inputs?

With a compressor, it can be useful, ime. I had my tech build a passive HPF for my OCL2 and I use it fairly regularly - it allows much greater use of squeeze when needed without the dreaded pumping.

Or am I missing what you're asking here?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Mark Fuller

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:02:53 AM »

Hey mark, do you mean limiters in the modern sense or are you referring to compressors/limiters as limiters (the old school sense)?

Hi Brad, Was mostly referring to attack/release limiting in the old school sense.
Not plugins nor complex ADSR analog units.

(I wish there were SC inputs on plug-in versions but nothing I use has them, either.)

I get doing an HP-type filter on the SC inputs to keep the squeeze off the low freq's.
I do it often, as well.

An experienced ME recently told me he often used pre-eq'd, pre-ANY-processing program material as the source for the SC input, but ran his eq'd program etc. thru the I/O.

I mean, if there's no filtering or eq being inputted to the SC, and no built in filtering in the SC circuit itself, what is different?
Seems to me it's nothing.

He claimed it wasn't about de-essing or an attempt to control any particular area of the mix btw., but to my thinking, that's essentially what he's doing.

For him, this was a big deal magical trick. A dubious claim, but it works for him.

The whole thing made me curious. However, it seems this is an unusual technique, and I'm not seeing responses at the few boards I posted to about anything beyond the obvious use of filtering, as you said, to keep the low-end from getting squashed, or the obvious use as a de-ess/freq. specific technique.

anyway, that's what prompted me asking.

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »

Yah, the only benefit to EQing the signal the SC sees is to alter the way the compressor compresses the signal. I mean, it doesn't *have* to be about de-essing or keeping the bottom end from causing pumping - anything you change in the SC EQ will affect how the compressor sees the signal.

Just not sure how effective this would be for day-to-day use.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Mark Fuller

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »

Yah, the only benefit to EQing the signal the SC sees is to alter the way the compressor compresses the signal. I mean, it doesn't *have* to be about de-essing or keeping the bottom end from causing pumping - anything you change in the SC EQ will affect how the compressor sees the signal.

Just not sure how effective this would be for day-to-day use.

Excellent. Thanks Brad. It's what I'm hearing and thinking but good to get confirmation from someone with more experience than I.
Much appreciations!

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:24:13 PM »

I think, Waves have some plugs with Side-Chain functionality.

C1 Parametric Compander
C6 is a multiband compressor

Ciao’
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Greg Reierson

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »

Some limiters (Elephant for example) have a lot of parameters while other (L2) don't. You could look at the extra parameters the Elephant as side chain controls in that they affect how the limiter responds to the input signal. So in that sense, side chain limiting is not that uncommon.

GR
Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »

SC in compressor is common for tonal shaping and reducing side effects, that much we know.

Limiters are very advanced devices with a lot of maths going on and as a protective device predominantly (of course other uses to) I do not see why it would be useful. The transient information will predominantly be in the drum attack portions. I usually want to limit the entire signal with some predictability from what is already an extreme dynamic process. If you do feel a need for it you could put a compressor with a side chain eq prior to the limiter.

I have got used to choosing from 4 limiters for the specific flavour that each one imparts and a side chain (of which none of them specifically have) would impair my ability to choose the right tool. And knowing what you have and what it does is very important for mastering dudes.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.