R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP9 discussion thread.  (Read 23281 times)

Tom C

Re: New user New Mix
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2007, 06:32:15 AM »

SingSing wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 09:58

Hi Matthieu, not sure what server its on... Could you post the entire URL?

Thanks,

Stefan
SingSing

It's on our very own IMP server, see
http://www.prosoundweb.com/imp/files/IMP%209_Pr_Tiouz.mp3

BTW, bonjour Matthieu, nice to have you here!
Tom

.signature failure

Pr.Tiouz

Re: IMP9 discussion thread.
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2007, 07:26:43 AM »

Hi Tom C,

Yes i put it there because when i was looking at comments on mix in this discussion it was hard to find the mix that was not on the IMP server.

Rolling Eyes
Matthieu Le Roux
Pr.TiouzATstudio-sirenesDOTcom

gatino

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2007, 11:27:27 AM »

SingSing wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 13:37

...the mix seem rather heavy in the mids (and in particular the upper mids). That's probably what makes the mix come across as a bit small.

Take care,

Stefan
SingSing

ok. if i put the mix thru SPAN (freq analyser) would i see a larger peak in the upper mids?

SingSing

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2007, 01:06:58 PM »

gatino wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 17:27

SingSing wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 13:37

...the mix seem rather heavy in the mids (and in particular the upper mids). That's probably what makes the mix come across as a bit small.

Take care,

Stefan
SingSing

ok. if i put the mix thru SPAN (freq analyser) would i see a larger peak in the upper mids?

I've got no clue....but as I said, I listened thru the Senn HD600 cans so chances are that I'm not even in the ballpark.   Smile

When I have the time I'll try and check your mix myself to see what it looks like. It'd be great if you care to share your findings.

Take care,

Stefan
SingSing

j.hall

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »

chrisj wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 17:33

Sorry, I'm not going there. I can tell from this what you don't like! Wink

chris asked me to review his revised mix (which of course is against the rules to post recalls that are not requested by me....but whatever)

chris, i only have a few comments (and you'll need to apply my overall opinions and approaches that you already know)

1.  the bass guitar is too loud.  the vibe you are going for is not far off.  your approach was MUCH different then mine, but it can work really well.  now, the level of the bass is too much, however, if you were to really jack up the bass tone, i might change my opinion of it being this loud.  on top of all that, your mix lacks the subs i want to hear from this approach.  

2.  the drums being mixed back actually work.  whatever you did to them sounds cool and fits the overall image you want for the song, however, i think you can squeeze a touch more impact out of them, even at the lower level they are at.  think of them as trying to speak more, not necessarily drive the song.

3.  the guitar part is to clean.  you need to do something to it to glue it to the drums better.

with your current approach i'd say having the vocals be upfront, dry and clean is a great choice, but really, nothing else can take this approach.  it all needs to get wrapped around the vocal to work.

j.hall

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2007, 05:00:35 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs:

for all the technical prowess you ooze all over this forum i honestly expected to be blown away.  unfortunately, i am not.

first off, the effects on the guuitar are making your entire mix smeared.  the EQ and such is great, the FX are not.

your drum sounds are good, but they don't exist in the same physical space as you guitar  and since the guitar is up in the mix it creates an out of balance mix.  the drums in general don't have much edge, but that doesn't really mean they are bad.  i actually think your drum sounds are solid and should have dictated the sonic vibe a lot more then they are.

i like what you've done in the outro, take the guitar effects off and i might be totally sold on it.

the lead vocal needs more edge.  right now, it just doesn't jump out at me.  in fact, it's making want to turn the mix off.

it sounds like you edited the drums for timing, which if i can hear that, it's not a good thing.  however, i don't think this one element is ruining anything for me.

i'd actually like to hear this mix develope.  if you feel my comments are helpful, and worthy of your time, i'd certainly enjoy hearing a recall.  it is completely up to you and your schedule.

j.hall

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2007, 05:03:27 PM »

SingSing:

i listened to your mix 3 times from start to finish.  well done man, i dig everything about it.  granted, no one here should be looking to impress me, nor should my opinions be carried with any extra weight then for what they are.

i think the sonic vibe you went for, you pulled off without missing any detail.

makes me happy to hear an IMP submission like this.  very different from what i wanted this song to do, and it works really well.....nicely done.

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2007, 06:11:13 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 16:00

Vladislavs Korehovs:

for all the technical prowess you ooze all over this forum i honestly expected to be blown away.  unfortunately, i am not.

first off, the effects on the guuitar are making your entire mix smeared.  the EQ and such is great, the FX are not.

your drum sounds are good, but they don't exist in the same physical space as you guitar  and since the guitar is up in the mix it creates an out of balance mix.  the drums in general don't have much edge, but that doesn't really mean they are bad.  i actually think your drum sounds are solid and should have dictated the sonic vibe a lot more then they are.

i like what you've done in the outro, take the guitar effects off and i might be totally sold on it.

the lead vocal needs more edge.  right now, it just doesn't jump out at me.  in fact, it's making want to turn the mix off.

it sounds like you edited the drums for timing, which if i can hear that, it's not a good thing.  however, i don't think this one element is ruining anything for me.

i'd actually like to hear this mix develope.  if you feel my comments are helpful, and worthy of your time, i'd certainly enjoy hearing a recall.  it is completely up to you and your schedule.

Hello,
Thank you for your comments.
I probably agree with your comments for the most part.
Yes it should be developed more, i was actually afraid what we should not arrange songs and just mix them, next time i will also arrange song much then i have here...

As for guitar, i have tried to do it wiwthout Delay layer, but it sucks, because then everything sounds pretty simple and no space feeling, what guitar is giving, maybe i should have lovered volume for that guitar, i don't know, most probably if i had something what i can enphasize rytmically, then i could use it instead of guitar, but everything else was in high freq range so i don't considered that.

I have not edited drums, only aligned snare tracks in order to avoid what? Phasing issues right:)

I never mixed so minimalistic mixes before, so i quite new to this, for me more tracks gives more choise:(

I'm also a person who don't goes to much into FX, and consider FX as only elements which add to the solidnes of song, not becoming song itself. I don't meen my delay, but reversing tracks, some choruses flanges, etc.

Regarding Drums being disconnected, yes it is probably true, but what i can do to connect them?Smile

What about vocals? How to make more edge? Using some harmonixers? Enchancers? I made all i could with EQ. Rise volume?
yes that was my mistake, i made a Vocal down mix, i liked Vocal up what i heared here, so i shoud remix it.

Thomas Lester

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2007, 07:50:47 AM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 06:11

I have not edited drums, only aligned snare tracks in order to avoid what? Phasing issues right:)

I'm not sure I understand this comment.  What was out of phase on the drums?  They all sounded in-phase to me.  What alignment of the snare did you find necessary for phase issue?

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2007, 09:09:45 AM »

Thomas Lester wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 06:50

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 06:11

I'm not sure I understand this comment.  What was out of phase on the drums?  They all sounded in-phase to me.  What alignment of the snare did you find necessary for phase issue?

Sorry, but they all sounded terribly out of phase to me:)
I have aligned Top and Bottom (inverted phase first) snare and Also second drummers tracs. Used Sound Replacer Peak Align Option.
Try it maybe you haveen't heared drums which are in Phase, so you don't notice when those are out of phase.

Also you can read Sound Of Sound article about nuging drums.

to the first track.

Thomas Lester

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2007, 10:16:26 AM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Thu, 18 January 2007 09:09

Try it maybe you haveen't heared drums which are in Phase, so you don't notice when those are out of phase.

I'll try not to take that as an insult.  Rolling Eyes    Of course I know what drums sound like in phase!  I just don't subscribe to the "nudge all the wave forms together" thing that some are doing these days.  I think it ruins the feel of the instrument.  That's not the way instrumens behave in the real world.  

Hey, but that's me....  Feel free to keep mixing the way you want to mix.

-Tom

NickT

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2007, 11:33:23 AM »

This was an interesting tune. I have since replaced my monitors and would mix this differently...but it is what it is.

Quote:

ChrisJ

Imp9NickT- Let's be really loud!  Could I hear this mix again on a song about taking too much crack and peeling your lips off? Belongs on Lou Reed songs. The vocalist is too serene for this mix. There's nothing glossy or sentimental about it, which is a wrench considering the way the lyrics are sort of misty and emo. I don't think this harshness works with the song, and I'm surprised not to hear it on the harshest background elements where it DOES work.

Well...I was on crack and my lips are chapped...does that count?

Quote:

From SingSing
NickT
Bright and squashed mix with lots of snare verb and some short panned lead vox delays. The snare is maybe a bit weak/phasy, but the drums in general are just fine. Interesting kick, how did you do that? Sounds like no other mix, so thumbs up for that! =)

Kick is just comped and eq'd. A little comp on the drum buss. Thanks. The delay just got past me with my old monitors. Just didn't seem that loud or  sibilant.

OK...Mix comments:

JHall - Nice low end I like the vox treatment.

TLester - Very smooth mix. Nice tones.

Cary - Nice intro. I like the second guitar coming in later. Chorus vox could come up.

Gatino - Vox very bright. I like the stereo field.

Undertow - Heavy Bass. Not muddy, but a little loud. Nice overall mix.

Scottoliphant - More reverb than I like. Nice Drum mix.

NickT - To Freakin' Loud! After my ears stopped bleeding, I made a discovery...right in front of me...a volume knob..and yes...I could turn it down..and the world was good again!  Twisted Evil  A little bright. You must have mixed on old monitors!  Embarassed

ScottH - Bass is making attack noises. A little distracting, but the overall levels and tones are very nice.

DConstruction - Very creative. I like the vox...maybe a little bright, but nice. I would like a little more bass.

LouMan - Verb separates the vox from the mix a little. Tones are good.

ScottVolthause - Nice mix. Low mids a little muddy to my ears.

ChrisJ - Bass is really loud! It masks the drums. Chorus is nice.

Garret - Noise in this mix. Drums disappear. Vox sound nice. Pitched up?

Henchman - Nice Mix. The drums sound great. The Rhodes fx  track in the chorus is a little loud. Covers the vox.

Nizzle - Very "stereo" mix. Nice treatment.

Ator - Nice intro. Smooth mix. Vox could come up in the chorus a little.

iCombs - I like this. Attack on the bass is a little distracting but a very nice mix.

SingSing - Another smooth mix. A little bass heavy. Nice overall mix!

Rankus - Nice live feel. Like walking into a small club.

MarkFassett - Has a distant sound to it. Levels are good. Verb sets it back.

TomC - Bass is missing. Vox seem a little mid heavy.Drums are set back in the mix. Vox sound better in the chorus.

Greg Dixon - Another intimate mix. Feels like you are in the room with these guys. Nice

Maxim - Bass is loud. Nice use of the tracks for fills. Vox a little to far out front for me.

Star - Intro was different! I liked that. Chorus is a lot louder than the verse. Lost the vox in the chorus.

RedFro - Nice mix. The delay in the chorus set the vox a little to far back. Nice overall mix.

Spoon - Mix is good. I like the vox a little drier. Nice tones.

Sir Wax - Nice mix. I like the way the chorus opens up.

VlaD - Guitars sounds good but a little loud. Something in the chorus is making a noise. Not sure what that is.

These are just my thoughts.

Thanks,

NickT

SingSing

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2007, 09:52:20 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 23:03

SingSing:

i listened to your mix 3 times from start to finish.  well done man, i dig everything about it.  granted, no one here should be looking to impress me, nor should my opinions be carried with any extra weight then for what they are.

i think the sonic vibe you went for, you pulled off without missing any detail.

makes me happy to hear an IMP submission like this.  very different from what i wanted this song to do, and it works really well.....nicely done.

Thanks so much for your kind words   Smile

Any opinion like this is the kind of opinion I like...   Razz

Once again, thanks for doing this IMP thing...it's been a blast and I'm looking forward to X.

Take care,

Stefan
SingSing

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2007, 06:57:49 AM »

Probsbly time to thanksgiving has come, because no more reviews:(

so Thanks to Everybody commenting my mix and thanks for effords making thease IMP happen.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.