R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP9 discussion thread.  (Read 23303 times)

ATOR

Re: IMP9 discussion thread.
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2007, 12:43:43 PM »

singsing

ATOR
First pad comes along, wonder how you did that.... =)

It's a piece from the Rhodes part just after the first chorus. One version left, one right, timestretched differently to make it stereo. Both ran through a stereo filter with an LFO on the cutoff frequency. I also used the decay of the last guitar part.

I like your new mix, lots of added detail.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

rankus

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2007, 02:06:59 PM »

SingSing wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 08:02

Guess that sums things up...don't think I've forgotten anyone.

Stefan
SingSing

You missed mine as well Stefan.... I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why my entry seems to be completely invisible to everyone?

Am I on everyones ignore list or something?
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

iCombs

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2007, 02:10:17 PM »

ignored invisible guy wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 13:06

I'm just wondering why my entry seems to be completely invisible to everyone?

Who the hell just said that?
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

SingSing

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2007, 02:28:51 PM »

dconstruction wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 17:53

Thanks!  Though I don't know about the "benchmark" comment (or the "one of the best" part, either).  Certainly radical.  I think the LFO is me jacking with the feedback and time on the delay on the Wurly.  And as for aligning drums, I didn't at all.  No cuts, no edits, no pulling or stretching: those are the tracks.  I think also the "obliterated" bass is actually the doubling guitar, which is pretty far gone.  

I'm listening to your latest mix.  There's a lot more vibe and direction in it.  To my ears, a much better, more focused mix.  I love the little breaks you've added.  That tambourine at the front made me smile.  My only complaint is that I miss the harmony vox in the last chorus; they're pretty low.  And I might not keep the vocal reprise at the very end.  Still, great job.  I like it.

I just figured since you're involved with the band and recording you probably have some insight to the direction of their material.   Smile
Well go figure, not a clue on those drums or that bass (must've mixed that up....)! I just realized you probably didn't lo-cut the vox either.   Very Happy

I find it the most fun to listen to the way-out-there mixes. 'Middle of the road' (aka mine) are so expected, but the ones that really catches my attention (at least in the short term) are a bit off the beaten path. Btw, I get kind of a Beck feeling from this song, in particular the lead vox...and perhaps a bit of the Flaming Lips as well with the somewhat odd arrangement/chord progressions. Some more instruments/elements and it would be even more fun. Once again, thanks to you and the band.

Thanks for the comment, I just had a new listen to my altmix and there are elements that can definitely be polished....to say the least. Yeah, those reprises at the end might be a tad tacky.  Cool

Take care,

Stefan
SingSing

SingSing

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2007, 02:37:10 PM »

gatino wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 18:11

SingSing wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 10:02

Gatino
Back to normal again... Bit of a mono big room feeling, yet the mix as a whole sounds a bit hollow and small, dare I say mono? Thru my cans the lead vox is a bit spitty. Seems you've been working on the lead vox tuning which in my view takes away a bit of the intimacy and feeling of the song.

mono, haha...and here i was trying to practice L-C-R mixing. oh well...  thx for the input

Haha, sorry about that one Gatino! But this was through my cans, so I'm probably completely off the target here...  Very Happy  Don't listen to them bigshots about L-C-R, they're probably just making that up.   Razz

I had a new listen (thru my cans again), and actually that mono remark was a bit off. But the mix seem rather heavy in the mids (and in particular the upper mids). That's probably what makes the mix come across as a bit small.

Take care,

Stefan
SingSing

SingSing

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2007, 02:48:09 PM »

rankus wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 20:06

You missed mine as well Stefan.... I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why my entry seems to be completely invisible to everyone?

How could I miss your mix?! Nah, haven't even found that feature yet! I even downloaded the whole songlist twice and must've missed your mix both times....strange.....   Rolling Eyes

Well, takes off rather laid back with nothing in particular standing out (much like all the straight forward mixes of this song). Kind of like that panned snare verb, though it might be a tad to prominent...perhaps a couple of dB down? Overall very pleasant drum treatment according to these two ears. Well balanced mix and the feeling I get is very much band-in-a-room playing. Definitely up there with the better 'mainstream' mixes. Doesn't add a whole lot to the original raw tracks, but let's the performance shine through. Though the lead vox is rather low it comes through very good. Love the rhodes fx in the choruses, and especially in the 2nd chorus where it coexists really nice with the guitar in the center. Good job R!

Take care,

Stefan
SingSing

SingSing

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2007, 02:56:38 PM »

dconstruction wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 17:53

Thanks!  Though I don't know about the "benchmark" comment (or the "one of the best" part, either).  Certainly radical.  I think the LFO is me jacking with the feedback and time on the delay on the Wurly.

Btw, what delay is that? Ronin?

Cheers,

Stefan

chrisj

« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2007, 03:28:46 PM »

I've done a remix as well, because it upset me to have people going 'I thought you were an ME, what's with the bass' and all. Actually I see mixing as very different from mastering because I don't see mastering as creative- I see it as a technical challenge of retaining the spirit of the mix while typically making it way louder. Mixing is more creative and I wanted the song to be a big throbbing wave with the singer riding it- but this was also affected by another thing.

I was right in the middle- okay, at the beginning- of replacing all my plugs with my own brand, and at the time I mixed it, I had this:
Nypass: a highpass with an unusual algorithm
Drive: really smooth overdrive/saturation, which tends to build lower mids rather than upper mids like most digital distortions. You're hearing a lotta 'drive'.
Pressure: a compressor with vari-mu, also really soft-textured and pillowy, you're hearing them crushing the hell out of the drums, which does not make them come forward- that's the idea of this comp plugin, it can stay deep
Pafnuty: Chebyshev 3rd harmonic in trace amounts, makes things hot and wild sounding, used on drums and Chop
Slew: slew limiting, which is good at getting stuff not to sound ITB, but also minimizes treble and accentuates body, low-mids and bass. Everything has some slew limiting except high percussion.

As you can see, I wasn't done! I had no boosts worth a damn, only Logic channel EQ which I'm not happy with for that, and I didn't have any brighteners, only, um, murk-eners. Also I was using Spitfish, Freeverb and the Logic flanger.

This is what I should have done, anyone hating the bassy one please check to reaffirm your waning faith in my basic auditory sanity Smile

http://www.airwindows.com/m/IMP9chrisjRemix.mp3

This remix has:
DeEss, Pressure, Boosts (pick attack), Boosts (8K vocal gloss), Spike (expander), Nypass, BrightAmbience (a convolution plug), Pafnuty, Drive, BassDrive, Boosts (1K bass articulation), Boosts (1.5K intelligibility), Slew, Air, Slick, and TapeFat (also a convolution plug). I'm not using Punch (a dynamic-sensitive highpass), BucketBrigadeDelay (convolution, like a MemoryMan) or TapeDelay (convolution, delay but cleaner than TapeFat which is real sloppy)

The non-Airwindows plugins are my recompile of Freeverb, but I'm not done with that yet- also, the Logic Flanger (which is what was on the original lead vocal, just a bit). All those Airwindows plugins should be for sale as soon as I can thrash things out with Kagi, as AU plugs. Probably 20$ a pop.

Chris

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2007, 04:45:26 PM »

chrisj wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 14:28

I've done a remix as well, because it upset me to have people going 'I thought you were an ME, what's with the bass' and all. Actually I see mixing as very different from mastering because I don't see mastering as creative- I see it as a technical challenge of retaining the spirit of the mix while typically making it way louder. Mixing is more creative and I wanted the song to be a big throbbing wave with the singer riding it- but this was also affected by another thing.

I was right in the middle- okay, at the beginning- of replacing all my plugs with my own brand, and at the time I mixed it, I had this:
Nypass: a highpass with an unusual algorithm
Drive: really smooth overdrive/saturation, which tends to build lower mids rather than upper mids like most digital distortions. You're hearing a lotta 'drive'.
Pressure: a compressor with vari-mu, also really soft-textured and pillowy, you're hearing them crushing the hell out of the drums, which does not make them come forward- that's the idea of this comp plugin, it can stay deep
Pafnuty: Chebyshev 3rd harmonic in trace amounts, makes things hot and wild sounding, used on drums and Chop
Slew: slew limiting, which is good at getting stuff not to sound ITB, but also minimizes treble and accentuates body, low-mids and bass. Everything has some slew limiting except high percussion.

As you can see, I wasn't done! I had no boosts worth a damn, only Logic channel EQ which I'm not happy with for that, and I didn't have any brighteners, only, um, murk-eners. Also I was using Spitfish, Freeverb and the Logic flanger.

This is what I should have done, anyone hating the bassy one please check to reaffirm your waning faith in my basic auditory sanity Smile

http://www.airwindows.com/m/IMP9chrisjRemix.mp3

This remix has:
DeEss, Pressure, Boosts (pick attack), Boosts (8K vocal gloss), Spike (expander), Nypass, BrightAmbience (a convolution plug), Pafnuty, Drive, BassDrive, Boosts (1K bass articulation), Boosts (1.5K intelligibility), Slew, Air, Slick, and TapeFat (also a convolution plug). I'm not using Punch (a dynamic-sensitive highpass), BucketBrigadeDelay (convolution, like a MemoryMan) or TapeDelay (convolution, delay but cleaner than TapeFat which is real sloppy)

The non-Airwindows plugins are my recompile of Freeverb, but I'm not done with that yet- also, the Logic Flanger (which is what was on the original lead vocal, just a bit). All those Airwindows plugins should be for sale as soon as I can thrash things out with Kagi, as AU plugs. Probably 20$ a pop.

Chris

Sorry to dissapoint:
Check you monitors or more likely buy them:)
I got BM5A pair just for 800$ But i now think you can get genelecs much more cheaper...

Somebody told mine was muddy(and i agree comparing to others), but this is just muddnes forest...

rankus

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »

SingSing wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 11:48

rankus wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 20:06

How could I miss your mix?! Nah, haven't even found that feature yet! I even downloaded the whole songlist twice and must've missed your mix both times....strange.....   Rolling Eyes

Well, takes off rather laid back with nothing in particular standing out (much like all the straight forward mixes of this song). Kind of like that panned snare verb, though it might be a tad to prominent...perhaps a couple of dB down? Overall very pleasant drum treatment according to these two ears. Well balanced mix and the feeling I get is very much band-in-a-room playing. Definitely up there with the better 'mainstream' mixes. Doesn't add a whole lot to the original raw tracks, but let's the performance shine through. Though the lead vox is rather low it comes through very good. Love the rhodes fx in the choruses, and especially in the 2nd chorus where it coexists really nice with the guitar in the center. Good job R!

Take care,

Stefan
SingSing

Thanks Stefan!  I don't feel invisible and un-loved anymore. Smile
Cheers, Rick

PS:  Your right about the mix being very plain and "vanilla" .. I did not know where else to go with it honestly.... That's why I love these IMP's.  They give me another way(s) to look at things...
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

chrisj

« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 16:45

Sorry to dissapoint:
Check you monitors or more likely buy them:)
I got BM5A pair just for 800$ But i now think you can get genelecs much more cheaper...
Somebody told mine was muddy(and i agree comparing to others), but this is just muddnes forest...

Sorry, I'm not going there. I can tell from this what you don't like! Wink

i think the point is more that I really hate that brittle, ITB, shattered, DAW type of mix which I admit is very popular. I like the places some people take it- it's fascinating to hear what Charles Dye does with musical density and solidness, all with fairly grating distortions- but I really hate how thin and 2D that type of thing can get, and when you take the bass out too, forget it.

My Lavry Black isn't wrecking the sound, my Channel Islands monoblocks aren't wrecking the sound, my mains might be more revealing of treble glare than a set of forgiving Genelecs but they aren't lying to me. It sounds terrific on a lot of very modern mixes as mastered by guys like Ted Jensen- which typically do not have the same fake, glarey sound I sometimes hear off DAWs.

I write tape-simulation plugins and the like BECAUSE not all mud is mud, BECAUSE sometimes you want to thicken stuff way up in specific ways. No apology from me. I meant it to be that way. Perhaps different songs and different bands would suggest a very different treatment to me...

Seriously... I have the low end completely reworked to put weight on the kick drums, I have the spotlight on the voice and enough de-ess to keep it from sizzling, I have light on the hats and a bit of top on the snares and the guts of the song, the bass and guitar thunder I wanted in the first place, I still have that in a better-controlled fashion, even more roaring and dense than before despite not having as much lows on the bass. I meant to do that. I just checked it on the Lavry/SennHD600 combination and it was the same. I want the kicks to be really big fat beefy things. It's not a mistake or a failure to achieve something else.

I guess we'll have to wait until IMP X to see how things continue to develop...

maxim

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2007, 08:10:49 PM »

stefan wrote:

"There's a kind of fade during the end chorus, what's that about?"

that's 2-bus treatment in peak

i took a few seconds, ran it through b4 fx, followed by deep 9 phaser, then blended it with the original in a linear fade fashion

imo, this song needed some highlights, and this was one of my feeble attempts...

henchman

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2007, 10:40:37 PM »

Sorry I haven'y had time to respond. The last week and a half have been crazy. Mixed 2 episodes of the L-Word, an hourlong Doc and a Pilot for a new series ove rthe weekend.

I've read the comments that others have made, I don't have much to add.
As far as editing the drums, well, I would have prefferred to not  to of had to do it. But again, the drumming was so incredibly inconsistent and out of time, there is, IMO, no way to get a decent mix without at least consistent playing.

And once you start editing, well, you know what happens. As far as the sounds go, again, the only way, IMO, to keep it raw etc, is to have a great room sound.
In this case, it was  a fight to get some top end in the snare, again, IMO, due bad drumming and of course the obligatory SM57 that loses all top. And the sympathetic frequency of the kick, which I was able to notch out. And then to not have any good room mics, well, it's just not a good recipe for a great, raw, natural drumsound.
And because the drumming was all over the place, using both takes was a waste of time, IMO.

Anyway, am looking forward to the next one.

Pr.Tiouz

New user New Mix
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2007, 01:02:56 AM »

Hi,

I just discovered this forum today from a gearslutz post about IMP9, and i immediatly like the mood coming from this place.

I'm a sound ingeneer from a little studio in Marseille (France), i'm 33 years old and i'm more interested in improving my skills than buying gear (though if i could i would also by gear  Twisted Evil ).

so i immediatly made a mix for the IMP9 you can find it on the server at IMP9_Pr_Tiouz.mp3.

This is a 5 hour mix made in the middle of the night, so now it's late and i'm gonna take a rest but i would be really pleased if anybody can throw an ear to it.

See you tomorrow
Best regards
Matthieu
Matthieu Le Roux
Pr.TiouzATstudio-sirenesDOTcom

SingSing

Re: New user New Mix
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2007, 03:58:15 AM »

Pr.Tiouz wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 07:02

Hi,

I just discovered this forum today from a gearslutz post about IMP9, and i immediatly like the mood coming from this place.

I'm a sound ingeneer from a little studio in Marseille (France), i'm 33 years old and i'm more interested in improving my skills than buying gear (though if i could i would also by gear  Twisted Evil ).

so i immediatly made a mix for the IMP9 you can find it on the server at IMP9_Pr_Tiouz.mp3.

This is a 5 hour mix made in the middle of the night, so now it's late and i'm gonna take a rest but i would be really pleased if anybody can throw an ear to it.

See you tomorrow
Best regards
Matthieu

Hi Matthieu, not sure what server its on... Could you post the entire URL?

Thanks,

Stefan
SingSing
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.