R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for a new DAW - which interfaces?  (Read 13264 times)

bblackwood

Time for a new DAW - which interfaces?
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:34:12 AM »

It's time for a new DAW and this means new everything - the drivers for my old RME Digi96 sound cards aren't 64 bit capable (and really aren't usable beyond XP as the drivers only allow ASIO after that). I've read though the old 'interface' thread but wanted to ask what folks are using who are running Sequoia under Win7 - I need two soundcard (either two of the same where they are capable of running @ independent sampling frequencies) or recommendations on one as a 'pitcher' and one as a 'catcher'.

Any / all feedback appreciated - even if you aren't using a ptch / catch system.

Thanks.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
Re: Time for a new DAW - which interfaces?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:22:13 AM »

I suspect if you are using external DAAD that another RME solution would be the best bet ecomically and driver wise.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

Gold

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »

I've been using a Lynx2 with LS-AES and an RME AES32 in the XP machine without even a hint of problems. I recently got a Windows 7 64 bit machine. I got a Lynx AES16 and an RME AES 32. I don't have that machine running yet. Just got my Sequoia 11 upgrade to install. I'm hoping for the best. Both cards have been rock solid in the XP machine. I'm keeping the XP machine as is.
Paul Gold
Salt Mastering

PBM

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:22 PM »

I've been using a Lynx2 with LS-AES and an RME AES32 in the XP machine without even a hint of problems. I recently got a Windows 7 64 bit machine. I got a Lynx AES16 and an RME AES 32. I don't have that machine running yet. Just got my Sequoia 11 upgrade to install. I'm hoping for the best. Both cards have been rock solid in the XP machine. I'm keeping the XP machine as is.

+1 for the RME AES32 with Sequoia partnership - rock solid here (in XP) since forever too.

Cheers,

Eric
Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »

Sounds like what I'm leaning towards with the new machine - the Lynx for WL playback and the RME for it's rock-solid work with Sequoia.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jdg

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53:30 PM »

i have a lynx aes 16e and RME HDSPe.

the lynx in the mac, and RME in the PC.

everything is working great on both, but the total mix app is still amazing, and maybe worth the price delta
John McCaig
-the caption captain

Gold

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »

I know there were problems with the Lynx AES16 driver and V9 but I think since V10 it's been solid.

If you are upgrading Sequoia take a look at the service contract instead of a straight upgrade. It seemed like a better deal to me.
Paul Gold
Salt Mastering

Viitalahde

• Real Full Name: Jaakko Viitalähde
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »

Now that the Win7 has been out for a while, what's your experience with it? Is it better/more solid than the XP?

I have a RME AES32. Has been rock solid so far. Before that I used a Lynx Two card, which was stable too. But the Lynx software is really confusing to me, and that's what ultimately made me go RME.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
http://www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering

Ed Littman

• Real Full Name: Ed Littman
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »

Sounds like what I'm leaning towards with the new machine - the Lynx for WL playback and the RME for it's rock-solid work with Sequoia.

3 months back i had an os failure so I thought i'd try windows 7 as a fresh install. WL kept vanishing so i reinstalled xp  with great success.  i'm keeping windows 7 on a spare drive. i'm thinking why fix what aint broke.
Ed

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:07 AM »

RME aes32 - windows 7 64bit, sequoia
rock solid for months
though I did turn off automatic upgrades to windows today...no reason, just got sick of waiting for upgrades to install before the machine turned off.  have been contemplating the lynx 2 card for playback though, but it means loosing one of my UAD cards...at present my WL playback is via an optical out on a mac mini... I dont use it a lot though. 
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 01:56:25 AM »

RME .. RME .. RME .. Solid interface and drivers, just can’t beat that.
Also, as always, I format to WinXP SPII, no matter what’s new out there.

No need to port over as yet ..

Ciao’
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

bblackwood

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »

Hrm , interesting point - WinXP or Win7 for Sequoia 10+?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Cass Anawaty

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »

XP and V10 here.  Not planning on upgrading to W7 with this machine, nor Sequoia just 'cause I don't think there's a reason to.

I've thrown in the towel on mixing in Sequoia because with XP the multi-core implementation is problematic with DSP on board (UAD2 and 2 Poco FW), and the machine must be restricted to 1 core.  I only bring up the mix aspect because that's where the bottleneck is--not for mastering work.

Magix needs to get their upgrade strategy in order.
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

MatteskyK

• Real Full Name: Kevin Mattesky
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »

Ever think of something like Windows Vista Ultimate?  If you are worried about any possible compatibility issues with Windows 7, then that could be an option.  Before buying Sequoia I did talk to Tim Dolbear and he said via email ""Yes it works perfectly in bootcamp-W7 32 or 64 bit."  I have not tried it with W7 personally though and am running the program on Vista Ultimate 64 bit (hence the recommendation), but I have not put the program through its paces yet.  The program is still a very new purchase for me.   

These charts may be of some help too:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Compare Windows to Windows and Features of Vista:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/products/compare?t1=tab09

Compare Windows 7 editions:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare
Kevin Mattesky

Gold

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 02:21:26 PM »

You have to do some registry hacks to get Sequoia 10 to run on 64 bit Windows 7. I am a luddite so I opted to upgrade to V11. The instructions look thorough. I tried Sequoia 10 on a Windows 7 32 bit machine and it seemed to work fine but I didn't do extensive testing.
Paul Gold
Salt Mastering
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 25 queries.