R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital tracking with low levels = better...is this new???  (Read 189848 times)

presto

Re: Digital tracking with low levels = better...is this new???
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2007, 04:53:46 PM »

^^ no worries mate. i guess we all work with what we have, in my case a poorly designed DAW   (a Carillon PC running Cubase and Audiophile 2496) Confused sorry to drag the standard here down  Very Happy  

i do reiterate however, that tracking at lower lower levels has worked for me, and is possibly more pertinent for these prosumer setups?

so my questions still stand if anyone else cares to have a stab!

cheers guys

presto!

garret

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »

Presto: I think all the pros have tired of the endless debate in this thread... so I'll take a stab.

Your mastering engineer will love you if you hand over tracks that peak somewhere from -10 to -6 dbfs.    They'll have no trouble making up that gain.

For printing review mixes, many engineers like to engage a limiter on the main bus, to get the peaks up to 0dbfs and the average level up a little bit.  By little bit, I mean a couple db of peak limiting, that's all.
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

presto

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2007, 06:11:41 PM »

thanks Garret. oops jumped on too late hey? fair enough.

I'm familiar with the mastering process.  I guess what I really wanted to know was what level folks arond here are hitting the master bus?

I'd changed my habits to track lower, as mentioned, but have still been hitting the mix bus at around -2dB. I thought this would have been ok, as it's really the possible accumulation of distortion of a large number of tracks (eg. a 30 track song with each track recorded at -2dB) that's the concern, rather than hitting the mix bus hard, which is inevitable (if working ITB)?

maybe this scenario doesn't apply to most here, that's cool.

sorry if I've missed something and am doubling up on this.

cheers
presto

RKrizman

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2007, 07:47:11 PM »

garretg wrote on Fri, 09 February 2007 10:06

Presto: I think all the pros have tired of the endless debate in this thread... so I'll take a stab.

Yeah, me too.  Set everything on 7 and stop worrying about the math.

Really, I thought Paul Frindle's whole thing was about intersample peaks.  Where's this "bad math" revival coming from?  Hey, it's 2007 ferchrissakes, and it's okay to move your digital faders, and guess what, it's not going to overstress your computer to do some adding and multiplying.

-R

cerberus

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »

presto wrote on Thu, 08 February 2007 16:53

^^ no worries mate. i guess we all work with what we have, in my case a poorly designed DAW   (a Carillon PC running Cubase and Audiophile 2496) Confused sorry to drag the standard here down  Very Happy  
i said "some daws", not "your daw".  it  is practically impossible to clip cubase's mixer internally.

Quote:

i do reiterate however, that tracking at lower lower levels has worked for me,
... and others, although nobody can explain why.
presto wrote on Fri, 09 February 2007 18:11

I thought this would have been ok, as it's really the possible accumulation of distortion of a large number of tracks (eg. a 30 track song with each track recorded at -2dB) that's the concern
it can easily be proven that a recording peaking near full scale contains LESS distortion than the same recording after the wordlength has been truncated.
RKrizman wrote on Fri, 09 February 2007 19:47

Really, I thought Paul Frindle's whole thing was about intersample peaks.
 that's what i would think too, but nobody has proven that intersample peaks can be 6db higher than a daw could measure.

perhaps this "distortion" presto describes doesn't need for any reconstructed part of the waveform to exceed zero?  maybe if the slew rate (rate of change) is too high, then the signal will distort somewhere, however, lowering the gain would not affect slew rate. so what is the operating principle behind this theory?  or maybe people just prefer a distorted signal over an accurate one? some types of distortion can seem quite scintillating, but conventional wisdom holds that truncation distortion is always nasty.

jeff dinces

gatino

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2007, 02:17:54 AM »

cerberus wrote on Wed, 07 February 2007 14:16

the main topic of this thread is a non-issue for floating point systems.

jeff dinces

can you elaborate on this or point me to info on the advantage of having my projects set to 32/64 bit floating point?

my daw has the option of working in 32/64 bit floating point.

Ashermusic

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2007, 11:41:39 AM »

cerberus wrote on Wed, 07 February 2007 20:16

maxim wrote on Wed, 07 February 2007 00:38

does digital have a "sweet spot"?
no, but apparently  some  digital mixers have a sour spot.  

the main topic of this thread is a non-issue for floating point systems.

jeff dinces

Well that is what I would have thought also but some pretty high priced talent here, like Terry, seem to feel otherwise.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

cerberus

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2007, 02:11:10 PM »

gatino wrote on Sat, 10 February 2007 02:17

can you elaborate on this or point me to info on the advantage of having my projects set to 32/64 bit floating point?

my daw has the option of working in 32/64 bit floating point.

the archetecture of a modern cpu is floating point, so it is most efficient for a native cpu to do float calculations and return a float result. thus the internal maths of all native daws is float at this time.

if you can imagine doing the calculation "one divided by three" on a float system... you end up filling the ram with .3333... to infinity... a float system has to stop somewhere; so we cannot say the math is ever "perfect". now i've raised an issue which was significant to early dsp designers... memory...  fixed point math co-processors were common in computers 20 years ago because ram was so much more expensive and native cpu was not yet fast enough to play 8 tracks at 16 bit/44.1khz.   fixed-point co-processing made the first daws possible.  tdm was invented to bring horsepower to systems where a native daw was an impossible proposition.

but nowadays our computers do not bother with math co-processors. so the option to run your session at 32 or 64 bits is about how you will write files.. and of course you want to write the whole signal to a file, not truncate the value and lose data (and this is why i think itb mixes generally sound like itb, not analog...).

so on your system, the only fixed point processes are a/d/a conversion. therefore if you wanted to keep the signal preserved within your system and throughout the chain (which in practice is likely to include bouncing)  you would keep it floating from the moment it leaves the converter until it is ready to pass through a converter again.

64 bit float .wav would, in theory be the "safest" bounce/export/freeze formatting option for anyone who's signal is processed on native (floating point) cpu,  but i haven't experimented with that file format yet.

Ashermusic wrote on Sat, 10 February 2007 11:41

Well that is what I would have thought also but some pretty high priced talent here, like Terry, seem to feel otherwise.
terry  is mixing on a fixed point system.  regardless of any tdm mixer's internal bit depth, the signal gets squeezed back into 24 bit fixed point format at both the entry and exit points of every plug-in on all tdm systems.  red lights anywhere on the mixer mean ugly digital clipping to terry, but not to all of us.

let's say you have 100 tracks and 100 plug-ins.  do you have 100 eyes to watch for clipping??!!  can you afford to do 100 audiosuite gain reduction processes before you even start mixing?  so let me tell you a little secret way to actually get your work done on such a system...    that's my opinion of what is going on here.

the light edition of protools, dp and logic all use floating point math but refuse to write float files. so one can't tolerate red lights in the path of anything that might need to be bounced on those systems.

terry, like many daw users, needs to heed the red lights at all times.  one way to handle this could be to attenuate the input to each mixer channel.. that would give the same result but not affect tracking, nor the correct practice of archiving what actually passed the converter.

but terry's daw doesn't have an input trimmer on every channel like cubase and nuendo do; so it wouldn't be so convenient for terry on his mixing system as it would be for some other engineers to drop the gain after recording as it would be to do it when tracking: before the information is stored to a file. <to toss away recoverable signal data without ever listening to it is imo, so very very wrong!>

i think we need to establish cause and effect here.  
i trust that when terry is able to apply scientific method to prove his fascinating but questionable theory, he will.

jeff dinces

CWHumphrey

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2007, 03:10:12 AM »

So I have a question.  Jeff, what happens when your mix (whole or in part) comes out into the real world?  Say, for example you wanted to put an outboard compressor on the bass?

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

cerberus

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2007, 10:44:01 PM »

hi carter;

it appears to me and some others that conversion is a degenerative process. i think that the real world (hybrid style) is more about saving a buck than about making a better sounding record than <name your favorite album of all time>.

i know an engineer who bought an otari mx5050 so he could have analog. that deck is a p.o.s !  otari called it "the workhorse" in their ads... but it wasn't even durable. the real world has disposible tools to be used to create temporary content.

the real world engineer monitors on ns-10s. and commutes to work wearing ear buds.  

i heard some good records lately which i am sure they were recorded and mixed on tape. e.g. the last teenage fanclub album, the recent flaming lips... sigor ros.. mumm...

and kraftwerk does fine with cubase because kraftwerk have the knowledge and the power to make it work.

so i put "hybrid" in the same "bean counter" category as mx5050 and dat...  real world ways to get the job done in time and under budget... but few classic recordings were made on such gear or with such techniques.

i just learned here at w.w. that "the cars" was recorded on a stephens.  that answers a lot of my questions about "the cars".  tiny little subtle refinements make a huge difference to me. it turns out that a lot of great sounding records were made on this particular brand of tape deck. so it makes for a pattern.  not a coincidence.

when "the cars" came out it affected the way i thought about recordings and i realize now that it gave me a false sense that technology was improving things. and wasn't a pink floyd record or two made on one of those machines?  

when i was a kid.. this was supposed to be the real world :  technology would make that kind of quality better and cheap enough that someday i could afford it.  but no, it's gonna be expensive to rent one of those tape decks now.  

in the part of my career that involved all analog chains , i was fortunate enough to be trained on studers... i thought that was as good as it gets.. but there is always something better. now i get why the places i worked at with studers all had "a sound"... scully had a different sound... but i never had a sound like "the cars"... nor "the wall" or whatever it was that inspired me to get into this line of work.

so i think analog is great.  and i prove every day to my no-name clients that digital can be great.  but i think it's like saying oil is great, and water is great... and then assuming they must be great mixed together, which does not necessarily follow. you need to alter the structure of the oil for that to happen...once it gets emulsified, it doesn't even look like the same oil.

jeff dinces

Paul Cavins

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2007, 11:33:56 PM »

Wonderful thread. It is great how audio experts are so ready to share their knowledge.

May I raise a practical question at this point:

Are we going to do "Stonehenge" tonight?

But seriously, I'm wondering how, in the real pre-DAW analog stage, your signal gets into the computer.

Here is my deal. My little PTLE/iMac setup has the mic going into a Sytek MPX-4A pre, perhaps the Summit TLA-50 compressor, then into the Digi 002r.

When I've tracked in the past, the Sytek was not turned up all that high, the comp not cranking out signal (to my knowledge), but the peaks were much higher than would be desired if I were to follow the advice in this thread, which I intend to do.

What about people who like to "drive" their preamps to get a desired effect?

Anyhoo, do you find yourself using an analog fader to diminish the signal, or do you have other ways of keeping it modest before the DAW.

Please forgive the technical naivete revealed in this post-

PC

thedoc

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2007, 11:08:03 AM »

I would lower it in the analog domain before the signal gets to the A/D convertor.  Otherwise you may get some digital uglies that you would have to live with for the life of that track.
Doc

tom eaton

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2007, 11:31:03 AM »

cerberus wrote on Sun, 11 February 2007 22:44

hi carter;

it appears to me and some others that conversion is a degenerative process. i think that the real world (hybrid style) is more about saving a buck than about making a better sounding record than <name your favorite album of all time>.

I don't think anyone is saving a buck by having Clearmountain, or Tom or Chris Lord-Alge mix their record "hybrid style".  Fact is that many of us "professionals" (people who make a living as engineers) prefer to mix on an analog console using tried and true outboard gear REGARDLESS of the recording medium.  

I can't imagine why I'd want to track everything near clipping atthe a/d only to have to lower the level ITB before spitting the track out to my console or a piece of outboard.  There IS a standard!  -20dBFS=0VU=+4dbm.  Lots of us use it.  It works.

It just doesn't work for Jeff.

This conversation goes around and around...

RSettee

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2007, 11:43:05 AM »

Whenver i've tracked hot (especially with a really dense delay of reverb) it always comes back to sting me--that digital clipping is in there. Not fun, especially when it's in your best take....

CWHumphrey

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »

Jeff, thanks for the reply.  But you didn't answer my question.  

Say you did come out of the box (scenario of your choosing).  Walk me through how you would handle that.

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.