R/E/P > Whatever Works

Digital tracking with low levels = better...is this new???

<< < (54/55) > >>

Geoff Emerick de Fake:
tom eaton wrote on Tue, 10 August 2010 14:16
Hey Jean Luc-

A page or two ago on this very thread you'll find me suggesting folks use the Dorrough meters for this very reason.  Not only can you see average and peak levels simultaneously, you can look at the dynamic range of your signal (and with the digital meter you can see your absolute headroom as well!).  Great for tracking, mixing, mastering...

I must admit I'm somewhat spoilt by Samplitude, which offers me a vitual Dorrough meter while tracking.

Bob Olhsson:
Amazing how people listen with their eyes today!

If you break out an audio oscillator, feed it into all of your own A to D inputs at once so as to place maximum stress on the converter power supply and then sweep different frequencies and levels, you can hear which converters have enough headroom and which don't. An IM distortion test is even more revealing.

If you haven't actually done this, aka your homework, don't make assumptions about level capabilities.

thedoc:
And you can de-rattle your room at the same time.

organica:
Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 18 August 2010 14:59
Amazing how people listen with their eyes today!

label guy today told me;
"The mix is so much better now.
Bring down all vibes, harp and mellotron being used as accompaniment, in the mix, by about 5%."
When this adjustment is made , it'll be a  calculated numeric measurement and afterward if it doesn't sound bad, that's what they'll get.

<If you break out an audio oscillator, feed it into all of your own A to D inputs at once so as to place maximum stress on the converter power supply and then sweep different frequencies and levels, you can hear which converters have enough headroom and which don't. An IM distortion test is even more revealing.>
Must do this.

phantom309:
organica recording wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 23:08

<If you break out an audio oscillator, feed it into all of your own A to D inputs at once so as to place maximum stress on the converter power supply and then sweep different frequencies and levels, you can hear which converters have enough headroom and which don't. An IM distortion test is even more revealing.>
Must do this.

That's a damned good idea. I'm going to try this with the 3 I/Os we have in here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version