R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 bit files 24 bit processing....questions...  (Read 1733 times)

zakco

16 bit files 24 bit processing....questions...
« on: January 08, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »

Hi All,

My apologies if this is a little OT in a mastering forum, but you folks know more about bitrate/dithering than anyone else I can think of so...my question:

I've just finished mixing a project that was recorded elsewhere. All files were 16 bit sources. Out of habit, I set up the mix projects as 24 bit in my DAW and proceeded to mix the album. Now...when it comes to rendering the raw 2track mixes, I'm questioning whether I should create 24 bit files.  

Will plugins gain anything from functioning in a 24 bit project or am I simply padding the files with zeros?

OR...would downgrading the project to 16 bit and avoiding the need for dither later be a wiser decision?

Any advice you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Z-

djwaudio

Re: 16 bit files 24 bit processing....questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:20:42 PM »

Any dsp (levels, EQ, effects, mixing etc.) done to a sound file will result in longer wordlengths. I suggest retaining that additional information by rendering to a 24 bit file.

Of coarse, what matters is how it sounds. Tell us what you hear when doing it both ways.

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 09:40:06 PM »

Hi Zac, nice to see you again.

I'd render to 24 - any processing will generate longer words and any noise/quantization error issues should be further down.

Don't know if the difference will be audible or not, but it certainly can't hurt to open it up tp 24 bit...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

zakco

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:20:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys...that kind of confirms my suspicions, and I WILL do an a/b with at least one of the tracks to see if I can actually HEAR the difference and report back.

Cheers!~

-Z-

zakco

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 02:05:50 PM »

Well, I tried printing the mix both ways on 2 different songs. The first was upbeat, relatively dry and fairly dense. The second was a sparse moody track with a fair amount of reverb (by my standards).

Monitoring was Dynaudio BM15As and Sennheiser HD580 cans.

On the denser/drier track I couldn't tell any differnce at all on the monitors or the headphones. However, on the sparse/wet track I think I could hear more detail and less grain on the reverb tails when I listened on the Senns. That subtlety was inaudible on the dynaudios though.

Not a scientific test of any kind and it could have been my imagination too...

Anyways, thanks for the replies.

-Z-

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.