R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 track master recorders...I'm curious...  (Read 6538 times)

rnicklaus

Re: 2 track master recorders...I'm curious...
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 06:07:09 PM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Mon, 08 January 2007 14:59

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 08 January 2007 15:44

If you make a search you'll find lots of information and opinions here. The usual suspects I take it, Mytek, Lavry, Apogee, Universal Audio, Lynx and others.

I take it that the "lowly" Lucid ($800) is no improvement over the stock ML converters...? Confused

Here (hear) is my take on this.

If you print your mix to a "format" with "a" converter and when you play it back, to the client and yourself it sounds the same as the output of the mix, it's good.  Of course none of this takes into account monitoring accuracy, etc, but still....

Everything on top of that is opinion, but worth learning to improve you ears and your gears. (groan)

R.N.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 08:34:56 PM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Mon, 08 January 2007 22:59

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 08 January 2007 15:44

If you make a search you'll find lots of information and opinions here. The usual suspects I take it, Mytek, Lavry, Apogee, Universal Audio, Lynx and others.

I take it that the "lowly" Lucid ($800) is no improvement over the stock ML converters...? Confused

Actually, it is.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Fletcher

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 08:29:02 AM »

From what I've been able to gather the stand-alone boxes just store the data and burn it to CD... with a computer you're just storing the data for a transfer to CD... or to email to the mastering house... or to convert it to MP-3 and post on "MySpace", etc.  The stand-alone boxes will require a chassis [just like a computer], a power supply [just like a computer], memory [just like a computer], a read out [screen, just like a computer], audio I/O [just like a computer], a CD drive to burn CD's [just like a computer], and software to run it [just like a computer]... so seeing as the stand-alone things have kinda shitty converters and will need outboard converters [just like a computer] it seems pragmatic to me to just get a computer.

As always, YMMV.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Neal Ward

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 09:28:11 AM »

I agree that the Masterlink sound horrible on it's own.  I use mine as a storage device with a PSX 100 converting both the inputs AND the outputs.

As far as Boutique 2 track recorders...  I was talking to the folks at RADAR several years ago at AES who said they were looking into an 8 channel hi-res mixdown machine.  I have never heard anything from them about it since.  It seems to me that would be a strong selling avenue for RADAR who already have a solid reputation for their "sound".  Especially if you remember when studios were paying 10-12k or more for good condition Studer A820's and Ampex 2 tracks.

This has got me thinking.  My RADAR sounds more like 2" than my Pro Tools rig. And even when mixing in the box I'll use analog gear on inserts (especially on 2 mix insert)...  so why not use the RADAR in place of a 1/2" 2 track.  If I slave it to code I can print multiple mixes in the same time location at higher sample rates than the original session.   Hmmmm..
Neal
silvertonerec.com
Silvertonerec@msn.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.