R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: guitar cab micing  (Read 9527 times)

Thomas Lester

Re: guitar cab micing
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »

Quote:

PS...am I the only guy who hates the Masa Dual Rectifier sound?

No...   you aren't the only one.  However...  I won't say I hate it.  But I hate the way most people use it.  It can work in the right hands, but 99% of the time is just sounds like butt.

-Tom

TheViking

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 01:56:46 PM »

[quote title=redfro wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 00:19]
Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Tue, 16 January 2007 15:25

PS...am I the only guy who hates the Masa Dual Rectifier sound?

Another no here.   VHT Pittbull head is more versatile and will do exactly what those Dual Rec's wanna do and sound a million times fuller and the tone is crazy.   If only they weren't so damn expensive.

For a recent guitar driven FooFighters-esque record I worked on I took the following approach.   Guitar One - Soldano Head through old Marshall classic slant cab.   421 and AT4033 on that amp through a pair of RCA BA31C mic pres.   Guitar Two - Vox AC30 through another Marshall classic cab.   57 and e609 Silver on that amp through two channels of Dan Alexander Neve 1272.   The results were pretty cool.   Listen to HotHouse here to hear a sample...   http://www.myspace.com/longsinceforgotten

Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

iCombs

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 04:25:29 PM »

TheViking wrote on Wed, 17 January 2007 12:56

Another no here.   VHT Pittbull head is more versatile and will do exactly what those Dual Rec's wanna do and sound a million times fuller and the tone is crazy.   If only they weren't so damn expensive.

For a recent guitar driven FooFighters-esque record I worked on I took the following approach.   Guitar One - Soldano Head through old Marshall classic slant cab.   421 and AT4033 on that amp through a pair of RCA BA31C mic pres.   Guitar Two - Vox AC30 through another Marshall classic cab.   57 and e609 Silver on that amp through two channels of Dan Alexander Neve 1272.   The results were pretty cool.   Listen to HotHouse here to hear a sample...   http://www.myspace.com/longsinceforgotten

Sounds good...raw and girthy without being too dominant.  

The more I hear 421's on guitar cabs, the less I like them.  They round off the top and have this goofy mid bump that makes the guitars sound like they are puffing their cheeks out...kinda bloated in a way...maybe it's the Marshall cabs they tend to be in front of, maybe it's the G12M75's, which, as a speaker, are as close to my least favorite as something can get.  Maybe I'm just insane.  That last one is a really good possibility.

That said, I really do like the way you used those sounds...they seem to be in the right perspective for the music...big but not overbearing (like my guitar tracks are...definitely overbearing...but then again, that was what we were looking for...)...definitly found a good fit in the mix.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

j.hall

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »

WOW, this thread exploded!!!!!!!!

i need time to review.  i have a feeling i'll have more mic'ing techniques ideas then i'll have time for.

Iain Graham

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 06:39:01 PM »

I know what you mean about 421s. I had one on a bass cab at a gig a while back, and it was totally useless.

So much spill, even though it was right in front of an SVT giving it's all. Made very useless by al the drums in it.

The bass tone I was getting from it wasn't very pleasant either!

I much prefer 441s. Tighter pattern and the tone benefits from this.

I've been using AT4050s on toms recently, and any time I've gone back to 421s I've beer very dissapointed.

I used to really like them, but have been put off every time I've used them recently.
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.