R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ART Digital MPA... Are you serious? can it be? ART?  (Read 20125 times)

vegas4ever

ART Digital MPA... Are you serious? can it be? ART?
« on: January 03, 2007, 04:32:29 PM »

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent

compasspnt

Re: ART Digital MPA... Are you serious? can it be? ART?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »

Anthony at ART was supposed to send me one of these to test (as well as the tube compressor) a while ago, but obviously never got around to it.

The only reason I was interested at all is that their standalone converters (no longer available) were actually amazingly good.

vegas4ever

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:41:16 PM »

I can't seem to find a single BAD review on them, the info and features look amazing,:

-Variable Input Impedance For Flexible Microphone Voicing (150 Ohms to 3000 Ohms).

-Selectable Tube Plate Voltage

-The A/D is front panel adjustable from 44.1 to 96K or syncs to ADAT or external word clock (32KHZ to 100KHz).

I think is the only pre I have ever seen for that price thats a "Actual tube pre" not starve.. so whats the catch??...
David Brent

CHANCE

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 03 January 2007 14:19

Anthony at ART was supposed to send me one of these to test (as well as the tube compressor) a while ago, but obviously never got around to it.

The only reason I was interested at all is that their standalone converters (no longer available) were actually amazingly good.

If you like, it would be no problem for me to inquire (Anthony) at the NAMM show.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Galil

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 10:55:55 AM »

So Chance,

NAMM is over, is Terry going to get one?  I have a Masterlink that it would be great to find an under $500 A/D converter upgrade.  The design on the masterlink is a bit old compared to the generation life-cycle of digital audio equipment.  Most of the praised A/D solutions are way outside of my budget.  Another pair of mic pres would not be bad either, but I'm not expecting them to be my first choice.

Still,'m looking forward to a review.

Galil

d gauss

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:37:59 PM »

vegas4ever wrote on Wed, 03 January 2007 17:41

I think is the only pre I have ever seen for that price thats a "Actual tube pre" not starve.. so whats the catch??...

ART seems a bit cryptic in their marketing specs for this, i.e. :

"The tube circuit is differential, and provides the equivalent of a 300V power supply on the high voltage setting."

i believe someone actually measured it at around 170 volts or so. why not just say it is 170 volts...

-d. gauss

vegas4ever

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 02:03:33 PM »

d gauss wrote on Tue, 23 January 2007 12:37

vegas4ever wrote on Wed, 03 January 2007 17:41

ART seems a bit cryptic in their marketing specs for this, i.e. :

"The tube circuit is differential, and provides the equivalent of a 300V power supply on the high voltage setting."

i believe someone actually measured it at around 170 volts or so. why not just say it is 170 volts...

-d. gauss

Ok so I see not realy 300 but 170v, interesting, thats still better that "most" tube pres.  the market is full of pres that offer TUBE NOISE not actual TUBE GAIN, I cant lie for $399- 2 pres, digital clock, Kick and snare here I come... SO has anyone actualy used this guy? compasspnt did you get yours??
David Brent

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »

Not yet, but I think something is in the works.  Unless they are afraid of it, perhaps I'll have a review before too long.

mshilarious

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »

I think I may have been the source for that 170V measurement, and it's incorrect, it is probably the full 300V advertised, or close to it.  I recall at the time I couldn't figure out a place to measure plate voltage without major disassembly, so I could only get to the tube pins easily, that was 170V so the supply must be higher.  How high, I don't know, but I recall the cap near the pin, which I'd guess was part of a voltage multiplier, was rated at 250V (or was it 350V??).  That fact, plus ART's strange marketing statement, probably confused me into accepting my initial incorrect measurement.

That was a year ago, since then I have used the pre nearly exclusively, and it's a screaming buy at its price.  I love practically every feature it has.  Quiet, good converters, the impedance feature is very handy, lots of tonal options between that and the ability to set level going into the tube.  I almost never use the low plate setting though, the high plate voltage sounds too good.

The only minus I can think of is the pots on mine are scratchy.  I haven't bothered with lubrication, it hasn't troubled me that much.

CHANCE

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 08:30:36 PM »

Was/is it this one?
 http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=36&cat=14& ;amp ;type=91
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

compasspnt

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 12:24:57 AM »

CHANCE wrote on Sat, 27 January 2007 20:30

Was/is it this one?
   http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=36&cat=14& ;amp ;amp ;amp ;type=91

Yes, that's it. But they stopped making them.  I even had (Anthony, then at) ART scour their warehouse too, and they had NOT ONE left anywhere.

You can find them on Ebay, often with the Denver mods.

vegas4ever

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 09:06:49 AM »

Hey mshilarious, I hate people that ask this... but ... since you seem to be the only one that has use this pre, what does it sound like: Dark Neve, clean Martinsound, or Cant do wrong API?
David Brent

CHANCE

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »

I picked up 2 of these as well as 2 of the ART pro-VLA comps for my remote rig/rack, but haven't use them yet. I also put two of the TC-300 comps in that rack. I did get a somewhat feel for these pieces of gear, but the true test will be actually using them on a session. My next schedualed remote isn't untill April. According to one of the reps (not Steve) at NAMM, the same identical converters (DIO) are in these new ART products.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

Galil

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 07:55:35 AM »

compasspnt wrote:

You can find them on Ebay, often with the Denver mods.

Is  there a link or explaination of what the "Denver mods" consist of?

CHANCE wrote:

I did get a somewhat feel for these pieces of gear, but the true test will be actually using them on a session.  My next schedualed remote isn't until April.

The self control is amazing.  Pick it up in January and test it in April.  I note in the thread that some of your fellow posters are hoping for some scraps before April.   Laughing  

Thanks,

Galil

CHANCE

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 08:33:57 AM »

Galil wrote on Wed, 31 January 2007 04:55

The self control is amazing.  Pick it up in January and test it in April.  I note in the thread that some of your fellow posters are hoping for some scraps before April.
Galil

I'm sure I will no doubt use/try/experiment here in the studio before April. I got these so when I do  a remote, I can leave the good stuff in the studio-rack un disturbed.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 17 queries.