R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: small powered monitors on a budget: Event, Yamaha, MAudio??  (Read 3772 times)

bohemian

small powered monitors on a budget: Event, Yamaha, MAudio??
« on: March 13, 2007, 02:18:55 PM »

Hi All... new to this board.... Need recommendation on purchasing small powered near field monitors for home based DAW.... I know perfect truth is not available for under 500 bucks a pair, but.......

It's between Event TR5 or TR6 and Yamaha HS50M, ??mAudio BX5a??

I borrowed a pair of Event TR5s which sounded great in my space (10' x 12' x 8' boxy room with some blankets, carpet, no special acoustic treatment or bass traps, workstation in a corner, monitors about 2' out from corner. Music sounded good, a sweep surprisingly did not find any huge bass resonances. Far better sound than a pair of paradigm bookshelf speakers powered by a nakamichi 70's-80's vintage receiver.

I have listened to yamaha and mAudio in recording rooms at pro audio dealers, and they all just sound different... maybe some better, some worse, but mainly just different...

I figure the show room audition will bear little resemblance to how a monitor behaves in my own space and that therefore the Events win because I heard them in my space, and that I should stop searching for that perfect dealer who has all three to AB (C!) them all because the winner in their space may not be the winner in mine. Am I wrong??

The rest of my stuff is a Mackie Onyx 1620, Mac G5 using Traction, recording predominantly acoustic guitar and voice, piano, bass, other acoustic instruments, won't be doing any rock.

Any thoughts from those who have done this will be appreciated

JDNelson

Re: small pwerd mons on a budget: Event, Yamaha, MAudio??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:32:22 PM »

I can tell you that from my own (admittedly limited) experience, that the Event TR-6 are decent monitors, for the money.  I mean for $400 a pair there isn't really much to choose from besides the TR-6's and the KRK Rockits.  I would pass on the M-Audio BX-5A's if I were you, because the midrange response is pretty squirrely and you'll have a hell of a time getting this right in your mixes.  

Folks in the know say that the Yamaha NS-10's are "truthful", even to a fault... but they aren't being made anymore.  You could probably find a pair on e-bay, or maybe the HS50M Yamaha's are similar to the NS-10's.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:08:29 PM »

JDNelson wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 08:32

Folks in the know say that the Yamaha NS-10's are "truthful", even to a fault... but they aren't being made anymore.  

Funny...I always thought folks in the know say that NS-10's lie like bastards...but they are such well-known liars that people take the well-known lies into account when using the lying bastards.

Very Happy

Certainly, if by "truthful" you actually mean "unflattering", I would tend to agree with you.

Cheers,
Tim

"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

JDNelson

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Tue, 13 March 2007 20:08

JDNelson wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 08:32

Folks in the know say that the Yamaha NS-10's are "truthful", even to a fault... but they aren't being made anymore.  

Funny...I always thought folks in the know say that NS-10's lie like bastards...but they are such well-known liars that people take the well-known lies into account when using the lying bastards.

Very Happy

Certainly, if by "truthful" you actually mean "unflattering", I would tend to agree with you.

Cheers,
Tim

I'll trust you on that... I don't use them (NS-10's) myself so I don't know.  The Events aren't prefect but at that price I can't imagine finding better.

TRA

Re: small powered monitors on a budget: Event, Yamaha, MAudio??
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 01:57:20 PM »

I've got a pair of Event TR8s that I've been using for two years, and they lie their asses off.  They are very flattering so unless you are murdering a mix everything tends to sound good on them.  Then when you reference anywhere else it sounds like you were mixing while smoking an 8-ball.  

I just picked up some Mixcubes to do my "real world" checks, and I ended up turning on my sub and mixing with the cubes exclusively.  I'll turn on the TR8s at the end of the mix to hear how the mix will sound on a prettier speaker and to adjust reverb.

My mixes are now translating like night and day, but then again most would say I'm nuts for mixing on the Mixcubes exclusively.  

I'm in the same boat as you.  I want a pair of monitors in the $1k range that don't lie.

Cosmic Closet

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 10:21:31 PM »

...since we are talking this price range, a plug for a set of mid-fields that get no respect: the Samson Resolv80a. 100W amp built in, 3 kinds of input connectors, and, sonically, to my ear, pretty damn analytical for the money ($450-$500/pair.)

They have a solid soundstage and sound great especially for pop or rock. Just a thought...

Best,
CC.
When his production designer complained that he was using too much blood on the set, Polanski replied: "I know violence. You should have seen my house last summer."

mcolbert

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 07:44:24 AM »

i usually enjoy dynaudio speakers for nearfields, but i have recentley worked on a pair of the TR-5's and for the price and size in a small room, they are pretty freakin sweet!
listen...do you smell something?

redfro

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:46:26 AM »

ArtGarceau wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 12:57

...they lie their asses off.

My experience with every Event I've worked on...

For $1000 you can get the intro level Adam's....

Pretty good speaker, for MY ears....

A little more than you want to spend, but since it's the most important part of the recording chain, this is where you want to spend the dough. If you can't hear what's going on you can't mix (or track, for that matter).
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media

chorga1

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »

I've been using the Yorkville powered monitors - 6.5 inch woofer - and am very happy with them for the price.

I listened to the Mackies 6 and 8s, Events, Wharfedales, KRks, Dynaudios, Blue Skys, Adams.

The Dynaudios and Adams were clearly a step above the others - but were 1k a pair... Out of everything under $500 the Yorkville stood out. the KRKs were a close second.

The Events did not work for me, and the Mackies - while loud - were so tinny and tubby I couldn't stand it. I woudln't trust the M-Audios for a second. My 2 cents...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 17 queries.