R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Ghost ?  (Read 5480 times)

Buzz

Soundcraft Ghost ?
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:21:25 PM »

Any opinions on the Soundcraft Ghost board ?? I had read a while back that someone here had one maybe Fibes ??? and liked it , I have been running everything in the box and I'm tired of the routing maze and monitoring latency issues .

Later
Buzz

compasspnt

Re: Soundcraft Ghost ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:54:32 PM »

I have one in a small room, and it works and sounds fine if you are very conservative with your levels.  Don't overload it.  And I rarely use the mic pre's.

If I were buying today, I would certainly want to compare it to the Toft ATB however.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:04:01 PM »

My former studio partner owned one that had been modded by Creation Audio Labs in Nashville and I, like Terry, rarely used the preamps on it. I used it as a summing router and sometimes used the EQ, but it was far better IMO than working ITB. There are some good threads on Gearslutz about this board and some mods worth doing. For the money, not a bad little starter console.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

el duderino

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 02:06:29 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 13:54

If I were buying today, I would certainly want to compare it to the Toft ATB however.

I (like so many others) am very interested in the ATB. unfortunately it seems pretty hard to get a hold of one before the next shipment comes in, which i think is may.

NelsonL

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:31:16 PM »

We have a Ghost; it works well for us and is a necessity now that we're mostly tracking basics to 2". The pres even get used once in a while on toms if the drummer has an expanded setup.

We've been talking about trying out Burr Brown's on the master section since we have to service it soon anyway.

Buzz

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »

Thanks Guys I have nice pre's so no need there , I want to get out of the box a bit and have latency free monitoring for phone mix's etc. as well as decent EQ , I have the Sytek Mpii pre with BB's in it and I like them. Are the op-amps socketed ???

LAter
Buzz

Buzz

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »

Rattle what model of BB ( actually TI now )  op-amps do they use to upgrade ?? Opa 2134's ???

Later
Buzz

PS: the Ghost uses ne5532's right ???

Greg Dixon

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 10:25:38 PM »

I've owned one for 7-8 years. It doesn't get used as much as it used to, but it's a good sounding board. Not too much in the signal path to degrade things. I've done plenty of albums where I tracked and mixed on it and never had any complaints about the sound.

Barkley McKay

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »

One minor niggle to be aware of is the lack of pre-fade aux in the Mix B path, which may be a pain if you use mix B for monitoring when tracking and need to do some punch ins.

Barks

NelsonL

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »

Buzz wrote on Tue, 20 March 2007 17:55

Rattle what model of BB ( actually TI now )  op-amps do they use to upgrade ?? Opa 2134's ???

Later
Buzz

PS: the Ghost uses ne5532's right ???

Yep, I think that's the right BB. It's not all 5532's thoughout, I'm told there are lots of TL072's in there as well.

http://tinyurl.com/2bmgtk

Chad Sims

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »

I don't know if it is still an issue and one that Creation Auido Labs says they address(although I have never used one of their moded boards so I can't say for sure)but the soldering on the jack inputs was not great.  If you purchase one of these boards I recommend you know how to solder or know some one who does.

NelsonL

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 03:51:43 PM »

We do have our own tech on staff, so that works out well.

The only failed jack that I know of on our Ghost, is the headphone jack-- which is one of the things we need to pull the master for.

marcel

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 09:52:03 PM »

I considered buying one of these boards recently, but after some research I settled on an older Delta DLX, which is currently on its way to Audio Upgrades for a re-fit...

My logic was that for the same price (the purchase price of the Delta and the price of Jim's work roughly equal the price of a new Ghost, at least for 24ch), I could have something that was truly modular, a little more solidly built, and fully tech-ed for 'issues' from the word go.

I guess time will tell whether I made the right decision.

Best, Marcel
Best, Marcel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 19 queries.