R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP9 begins.  (Read 14752 times)

dconstruction

Re: IMP9 begins.
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2007, 10:06:05 AM »

OT: Scott, definitely try out the Lawson.  One, it's not that expensive (I mean, it is, but you know).  Two, it sounds fantastic.  And three, it's modular, so you can add the tube body next, or maybe the 251 head - whatever.  A big selling point for me as I'm trying to spend my money in the most flexible and expandable means possible.  One reason for the API 500-series chassis and pres, too.

Thomas Lester

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2007, 10:50:33 AM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Tue, 09 January 2007 08:16

I WANT DISCUSSION THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...  is there going to be an official discussion thread?

garret

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2007, 11:42:14 AM »

dconstruction wrote on Tue, 09 January 2007 01:49

Thanks to everyone who participates.  Can't wait to hear the results!

Lindsay Graham

Cool back story, Lindsay, and terrific results... I love it when something just comes together despite everything...

Thanks for letting us mangle your work...

I think the bass double makes the tune... I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the electrical buzz jumps out every backbeat... very cool...

The vocal is perfect, first take, damn.  Wish I could sing like that sober, much less a touch drunk.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of my mix...

Best,
-G
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

Cary Holding

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2007, 01:09:20 PM »

Thomas Lester wrote on Tue, 09 January 2007 10:50

Perhaps J forgot???  Plenty of chatter here that belongs in the discussion thread.
Cary

rankus

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2007, 01:44:12 PM »

Thomas Lester wrote on Tue, 09 January 2007 07:50

Yes,  Wait for it... some of us are on the west coast you know (late risers) ... J usually waits until he figures everybody has upped their files... perhaps Wed. even ...  Until then listen to the files and make notes for later comment... I usually try to comment on all the mixes, so I make sure that all of them have been uploaded before I even start listening... Patience is difficult in these imps ... lOL
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

mattrussell

« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2007, 02:04:13 PM »

my ONLY issue with anything on this recording is the amount of compression on the vocal track.  was hard to wrangle. a deesser-fest.  otherwise, i think the song and performances are working perfectly together and THAT is what matters.  as tom said, if you brought in vinnie to play drums, it would SUCK.  i don't need dave grohl either.  the drums are just fine and none of that shit matters an ounce on a song like this.  the fact that it's super loose is the WHOLE fucking point of the song itself.  

the snobbery going on in this thread is making me want to puke.  thanks to those trying to fight some of it off.  

matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

ScotcH

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2007, 02:46:39 PM »

Ok, now that everyone is done with this thing (I think?) how many think that the tambourine was just thrown in to see how many people would actually try to use it?  I just can't believe that this was part of the original tracks Smile  I contemplated copying just 1 hit and pasting it in places, but that seemed an awful like "adding a part" to me, so I didn't.
Arek Wojciechowski - Laundry Room, Basement, Garage, Bedroom, etc.

henchman

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2007, 02:50:58 PM »

ScotcH wrote on Tue, 09 January 2007 11:46

Ok, now that everyone is done with this thing (I think?) how many think that the tambourine was just thrown in to see how many people would actually try to use it?  I just can't believe that this was part of the original tracks Smile  I contemplated copying just 1 hit and pasting it in places, but that seemed an awful like "adding a part" to me, so I didn't.

I was so glad that the tambourine was thrown in. It allowed me to copy and paste one of the hits in the chorus, according to the rules.

dconstruction

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2007, 02:54:18 PM »

Here's the answer to the tambourine, a description of which I left out of my previous post.

We were about done with the track, and it was late.  I walked in from the tracking room and into the control room as Marcus was listening back.  While getting back to the desk, I stepped on a tambourine.  Marcus's eyes widened and he jumped up exclaiming, "that's it!".  Back in the tracking room, he had both fists full of every tambourine I own (four, I think) in front of the L47.  What you hear is what he tracked.

We loved it.

L

ScotcH

« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »

dconstruction wrote on Tue, 09 January 2007 14:54

Here's the answer to the tambourine, a description of which I left out of my previous post.

We were about done with the track, and it was late.  I walked in from the tracking room and into the control room as Marcus was listening back.  While getting back to the desk, I stepped on a tambourine.  Marcus's eyes widened and he jumped up exclaiming, "that's it!".  Back in the tracking room, he had both fists full of every tambourine I own (four, I think) in front of the L47.  What you hear is what he tracked.

We loved it.

L

Lol ... awsome.  I guess there is a madness to every method Smile
Arek Wojciechowski - Laundry Room, Basement, Garage, Bedroom, etc.

chrisj

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2007, 04:55:53 PM »

To me it sounded like sputters from the powerlines which were down on the wet streets. Not a rhythmic sound- color, EFX. I put reverb on, and killed the lows ruthlessly, until it sounded sparky enough for my taste Smile

scottoliphant

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2007, 06:08:28 PM »

me too =) i reversed it and added a little space echo and verb

gatino

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2007, 06:11:04 PM »

chrisj wrote on Tue, 09 January 2007 15:55

To me it sounded like sputters from the powerlines which were down on the wet streets.

at least it made some sense to you. i left it out cuz i didn't get it. Lindsay said they were drinking all night long and that part came late. maybe i should have a few drinks and listen again. Smile

anyway, good song Lindsay, thx for letting us use it!

redfro

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2007, 10:32:19 PM »

This is the first time I've gotten to do one of these. They always seem to come when I've got a project that's gotta be out the door yesterday.

This time it was a project that's gotta be out tomorrow, so I gave it a couple of hours. Hope it works on it's own.

I didn't edit anything, and I used the tamb track. I loved it, too.

Look forward to listening to everyone's, and getting some critiques of mine.
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.