R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP9 begins.  (Read 14848 times)

rankus

Re: IMP9 begins.
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 02:50:06 PM »

six_wax wrote on Fri, 05 January 2007 08:54

what's the name of the song?  Razz

IMP9  Cool
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Tom C

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 03:52:48 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 04 January 2007 03:32

people might be done, but some one might be out of town and grab the tune over the weekend.

Yep, that's me. Can't do much during weekdays for some time.
Mucho appreciated.

Tom

.signature failure

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2007, 10:08:22 AM »

Ho Ho ho:)

I'm ready too.
I like drum sound so much as much as i hate Guitar playing:))))
Mostly not because of sound, but because guitarist probably was drunk!!!!!!!!!! and recorded this song in the morning after party:)

I have intentionally not edited guitar!, and i won't spent my time on this and i hope my concept will be understood even if guitar will be out of time and not comping good with vocals:) SIMPLY because i CANNOT REPLACE THIS GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it so difficult to record powercords in different tracks, main rytmical idea to different and arpegios to the different? and not have all this in single track while switching from one to another and playing out of time.

I wonder how many takes was taken before record something like this.

henchman

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2007, 02:38:36 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 07:08

I'm ready too.
Mostly not because of sound, but because guitarist probably was drunk!!!!!!!!!! and recorded this song in the morning after party:)

I have intentionally not edited guitar!, and i won't spent my time on this and i hope my concept will be understood even if guitar will be out of time and not comping good with vocals:) SIMPLY because i CANNOT REPLACE THIS GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it so difficult to record powercords in different tracks, main rytmical idea to different and arpegios to the different? and not have all this in single track while switching from one to another and playing out of time.

Thank you. I thought I would be the only person who felt the same way.
I edited the drums, and used the one or 2 sections that as far as timing, were close to being played in the same week.
I then edited the bass to that. That wa sit for editing.
I found it to be lazy and bad playing. With no effort at all put into doing something good. The vocals sounded like one takes. And in this case, that's a bad thing.

It seems like "Indie" has becomen synonymous with "bad".

Nizzle

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2007, 04:18:35 PM »

henchman wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 19:38

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 07:08

I'm ready too.

Thank you. I thought I would be the only person who felt the same way.
I edited the drums, and used the one or 2 sections that as far as timing, were close to being played in the same week.
I then edited the bass to that. That wa sit for editing.
I found it to be lazy and bad playing. With no effort at all put into doing something good. The vocals sounded like one takes. And in this case, that's a bad thing.

It seems like "Indie" has becomen synonymous with "bad".

Wow....editing the drums,bass, gtr, etc?

Of course your entitled to your opinion, but the way I see it - an artist graciously allowed this forum to use his song and using adjectives like "bad" or "lazy" seem out of line to me....But most interesting to me is the possibility that you just don't "get" this music....perhaps it's not always about technical ability...perhaps it's mostly(always) about communicating a feeling and a compelling vibe...it seems to me substantially editing a track like this is not only innapropriate(idiomatically speaking), but also counter-intuitive...you may find you've edited away ALL of the vibe and "indy-ness" of it....Again, we are all entitled to our own opinion, and i usually keep mine to myself, but these sorts of comments(the ones I've quoted) seem to A: Miss the point of the music and B: come off as snobby and close minded.

Anyway - I enjoyed the song...this particular song is one of the few that strikes me as text book "Indie Rock" which is what this whole thing is about right?

Look forward to hearing the huge variances in everyones mixes - which is exactly what a song like this yields....great choice.

-t

scottoliphant

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »

what nizzle said. i think the song is great, gushes vibe and love, sounds like real people playing, maybe that's what you don't like?

ScotcH

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 05:32:21 PM »

If you solo the drums, yes ... they are terribly out of time.  However, in the context of the whole mix, they work just fine, and I didn't feel they needed any editing at all.  The doubled bass on the other hand, well, I did edit a bit of that, but certainly not to the point where it sounds like a machine.   I loved the guitar sound, and automation was the key to get the various guitar parts to sit right.  Good tune overall ... this was really easy for me, where usually I struggle and over-fiddle with things for days.
Arek Wojciechowski - Laundry Room, Basement, Garage, Bedroom, etc.

gatino

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2007, 06:11:19 PM »

i'm not gonna edit anything, all as is. feels good to me too. well, that tambourine has me thinking...i guess i just don't understand that part.

so this is due tuesday, right?

garret

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »

I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion... Here's mine.

There's a ton of good in these tracks.  The sum is greater than the parts... I've listened to my (semi) final mix now about 10 times today, just because I can't stop.  And it's one of the better things I've worked on in a while...   My three year old loves it too, and he's got good taste, honest.

Folks, this is an indie rock forum... if you don't get indie rawk, maybe you should:

a) buy some: pixies, fugazi, sonic youth, minutemen, guided by voices, yo la tengo, built to spill, pavement, and modest mouse records, and get up to speed
or
b) find something else to do.

-Garret
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

ATOR

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »

I don't think sloppy playing makes a song more real, human or more emotional. I'd pick a solid groove anytime, I don't mind if it's loose but it has to make me move. Then again I don't have any records of the bands Garret just mentioned  Very Happy

So I just edited the drums and bass to a grid. I never had any live drums to edit and this was a nice opportunity to figure out how to do that.

We'll see if my brutal editing has robbed the song of it's essence or indieness. At least it will make a nice discussion when we can listen to different approaches side by side.

Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

garret

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2007, 07:16:32 PM »

What's funny is, despite all my indie rock preaching, I also wielded a heavy knife in editing the drums... the challenge of this track, to me, is that it's a damn fine tune, with some terrific tracks and some not so terrific ones.   What bothers me is blanket statements about the artists being lazy, etc....   sometimes, folks, that's the best a band can do.

There's something great in there, and perhaps these guys struggle with locking in a groove because they're not genius players.   But that doesn't make the music bad and fodder for cheap criticism...  it just means your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to help find the diamond in the rough.

-Garret

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

Nizzle

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2007, 07:21:49 PM »

ATOR wrote on Sun, 07 January 2007 00:03

I don't think sloppy playing makes a song more real, human or more emotional. I'd pick a solid groove anytime, I don't mind if it's loose but it has to make me move. Then again I don't have any records of the bands Garret just mentioned  Very Happy

Who ever said sloppy playing ever made a song more real? That's as silly as saying super tight playing makes a song better(can you imagine "Slanted and Enchanted" with Vinnie Colaiuta playing drums - It would be a fricken disaster). The fact of the matter is that NONE of these things make or break a song....either the right things are happening or they're not - it's your job to to be able to discern what IS and what ISN'T working - end of story(as far as I'm concerned).

-t

henchman

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2007, 08:26:25 PM »

garretg wrote on Sat, 06 January 2007 15:19

I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion... Here's mine.

There's a ton of good in these tracks.  The sum is greater than the parts... I've listened to my (semi) final mix now about 10 times today, just because I can't stop.  And it's one of the better things I've worked on in a while...   My three year old loves it too, and he's got good taste, honest.

Folks, this is an indie rock forum... if you don't get indie rawk, maybe you should:

a) buy some: pixies, fugazi, sonic youth, minutemen, guided by voices, yo la tengo, built to spill, pavement, and modest mouse records, and get up to speed
or
b) find something else to do.

-Garret

You know what, I've heard lots of indie rock that, allthough not edited to a grid, feels great. This is simply, IMO, bad playing. I'm fien when things move around tempowise.  This is not the case here.
A good exampel of excellent playing where the tempo moves around, for me, is "Brand new caddilliac" by The Clash. That was a first take recording. When they finished the beds for that track, the produicer said "great, that ones in the can". The band protested and said it was the first take, and the tempo moved around. The producer said, it's great, let's move on.

And that song rocks.

So, learn how to play togetehr first, before you go into a studio and try to be one take wonders.
I've seen many an indie band put on their release that they recorded all their songs in 2 days, and it wa sall one take. So, they're starting off by putting an excuse on the label.

The Beatles recorded their first album in an afternoon.

The Stray cats recorded their first album in 5 days, and if you listen to "Rock this Town", you'll hear part where Setzer plays a lick in the completely wrong key. But it deosn't matter, becasue it rocks.

scottoliphant

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2007, 08:51:24 PM »

Quote:

So, learn how to play togetehr first, before you go into a studio and try to be one take wonders.
I'd take this ANY day over 95% of whats on the radio, that's perfectly in time / in tune etc. just a difference in aesthetic i suppose. It just doesn't sound that bad to me.
Quote:

I've seen many an indie band put on their release that they recorded all their songs in 2 days, and it was all one take. So, they're starting off by putting an excuse on the label.
I don't think anyone here would argue that there are just as many bad bands in this genre as any other.

Nizzle

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2007, 10:27:07 PM »

[/quote]

I've seen many an indie band put on their release that they recorded all their songs in 2 days, and it wa sall one take. So, they're starting off by putting an excuse on the label.
[/quote]

Any idea how many important records you would have wiped out of existence with the sort of hard line narrow mindedness expressed above?

Look - I get it - you don't like this music. Fine , Cool...End it there. You know - I remember listening to the Pixies "Surfer Rosa", the first Stooges record an the Velvet Underground for the first time and I Fricken Hated them. You know why? At the time, I would have said that I hated it because they can't play there instruments and proceed to point out the various technical issues....but later in life - I grew to like and in some cases absolutely worship some of these bands...The fact of the matter is I wasn't ready to like them due to my narrow view of what "good music" should be- Now I'm not saying your "not ready" for this music - I would never presume such a thing - however I'm reading many things in these posts that remind me of myself years ago. Bottom line - None of it makes a shit of a difference- what makes good music good is far more complex than these things we're discussing(thank God!).....If it communicates - it's worthwhile.

-t
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.