R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linn Drum  (Read 19195 times)

strawberrius

Re: Linn Drum
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2007, 08:07:11 PM »

i still think it was prince that did the coolest most innovative stuff with it. mostly printing it to tape thru boss gtr pedals like on "the beautiful ones" or "when doves cry".

zmix - please tell us a little more about how he printed these sounds?

rnicklaus

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2007, 10:12:46 PM »

RKrizman wrote on Wed, 03 January 2007 16:55

I still have my Linndrum up on a shelf somewhere.  Now I'm curious to get it out and see if it really sounds so bad.  At the time it was totally the nuts.  The first ones sold for about 4k, but nothing else would do what they did.  -R

It was expensive to get into a Linndrum or DMX when they were new.  I think I paid in the mid 3's for mine.  And that was early '80's dollars.

Gear, in many cases, is sooo much cheaper today.
R.N.

arconaut

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2007, 08:48:18 AM »

rjd2 wrote on Tue, 02 January 2007 06:06

on a related sidenote, my friend is in possession of the original dmx run-dmc used on all their records up through walk this way. he acquired it from chung king studios, and it was apparently modified. when a tech opened it up to check it out, there was a crack rock INSIDE the machine somehow. you would be amazed at the sum he is going to get for it, due to its history....

Just to be nebbish... according to a little birdie I know (who worked on those records) the first album was a DX and they switched to the DMX for the King of Rock album (2nd album). But I don't think that diminishes the coolness of your story.

Noah

You Are Number Six

rjd2

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2007, 09:22:43 AM »

the dx/dmx thing is entirely possible. you know how those things go. my friend who is in possession of it is not a musician, so the story could be bogus, it could be a dx he's calling a dmx, who knows. his boss is apparently willing to fork over 4k for it because of its history-crazy huh?

so ross...... you worked with georgio moroder? wow. you know there's a lot of people that see him the way rock dudes see george martin right? id love to hear any anecdotes on him.

anybody got one of the vox rhythm machines?. the one that sounds like video game drums? those are so badass.....

rj krohn

CHANCE

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2007, 10:57:18 AM »

I think I might have one. Is it about 12" in diameter, with 3 pots and  PSU input jack on the side? It looks like it could be mounted on a drum kit.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

zmix

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »

strawberrius wrote on Wed, 03 January 2007 20:07

i still think it was prince that did the coolest most innovative stuff with it. mostly printing it to tape thru boss gtr pedals like on "the beautiful ones" or "when doves cry".
zmix - please tell us a little more about how he printed these sounds?

Alright, Straw B... I'll fess up.

Like Hendrix and his Strat, Prince found his voice in one particular machine, the Linn LM-1. It was his most recognizable sound throughout the 1980s. He had several LM-1s, I saw at least 5. They had modifications, such as a Cymbal sample accessed by a mini toggle on the front. There were also trigger inputs on the units he took on tour.

We only used 4 tracks to record his Linn.

Due to some early tape transport issue damaging some tapes, the Claps were always on track one. Kick was on two, Snare on three, and 4 was always the Linn Mix output, usually through a string of stompboxes. These were always printed as is. No 'dry' signal was ever recorded. On songs like 'Hot Thing' (Sign of the times) the 'bass' is actually a Linn LM-1 tom through a Boss Octaver and Overdrive pedal. There were tuning issues, so "Forever in my life" , which used the same sound, added the Boss Vibrato pedal to obscure them.

By the time 'Lovesexy' was born, a Dynacord ADD-One drum module was added for kick and snare samples.

These sounds were triggered from the direct audio outputs of the Linn.

We rented an LM-2 (Linndrum) from Total Music Systems for one weekend between "Batman" and "Grafitti Bridge" because the LM-1s were all on the road and the one in the studio had developed a buzz.

We tracked just three songs with it. If you listen closely you can hear the Linndrum Kick on several cuts, especially "Elephants and Flowers". I was never given proper credit on those (accurate credits always a problem on Prince records). But I've got signed work orders, MF! Twisted Evil

-CZ

Jeff Goodman

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2007, 04:45:29 PM »

OK, Here's what I've been told by a musician friend that grew up in Minn. and worked a considerable amount with Prince up until a few years ago.

Prince still uses the original Linn 1. His have all been modded to have individual trigger outputs so that any drum machine/sampler/sound can be triggered. He feels that that the first Linns somehow have a certain funky groove to them that was "corrected" by Roger in subsequent models as an improvement. Prince didn't like the improved...I guess the only way to term it would be 'feel'. He wasn't able to get the other drum machines to groove the way he wants them to (or is used to). There was also a sync mod done, but I am not clear about what was done, or to what effect (gen smpte? chase smpte?, midi?). I'll ask when I speak to my friend again probably in the next few days and post back whatever info I get, if anyone is interested, that is.

Jeff

compasspnt

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2007, 09:19:29 AM »

Is that why the music is as good as ever?

rjd2

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2007, 09:28:15 AM »

chance, let me know if you do have one. ive only seen pictures, i never knew someone who had one, but they look rectangular. not totally unlike any of the other rhythm machines of the era, ala korg/maestro/etc.

i would love to have one, as a very classic record was made with one, and i loved the drum sound on it. maybe...you.....sell??? Very Happy
rj krohn
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.