R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Tax Dollars at "work"  (Read 3788 times)

wwittman

Your Tax Dollars at "work"
« on: December 29, 2006, 02:12:47 PM »

Park Service inanity: they won't tell us how old the Grand Canyon is

by Don Hazen - December 28, 2006

According to Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER) in a report released this week [PDF], Grand Canyon National Park is not permitted to give an official estimate of the geologic age of its principal feature, due to pressure from Bush administration appointees.

Furthermore, a book approved by the Service claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood ,rather than by geologic forces, is on sale in the park for more than three years, even though a review was promised to Congress and the press. A Freedom of Information request reveals that no review has ever been requested, nor taken place.

"In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists, our National Park Service is under orders to suspend its belief in geology," stated PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch. "It is disconcerting that the official position of a national park as to the geologic age of the Grand Canyon is 'no comment.'" PEER urged the new Director of the National Park Service (NPS), Mary Bomar, to end the stalling tactics, remove the book from sale at the park and allow park interpretive rangers to honestly answer questions from the public about the geologic age of the Grand Canyon.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

wwittman

Re: Your Tax Dollars at "work"
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 02:13:49 PM »

Fuck the "war on Christmas".

We should be concerned with the very real "war" on SCIENCE.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer

rnicklaus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 02:25:55 PM »

Or worse yet, the neocons war on freedom.
R.N.

studiojimi

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 03:36:38 PM »

the woodpecker has to go.

index.php/fa/3948/0/
CAZADOR RECORDING
STUDIOJIMI'S PSW SONG FORUM
MY MYSPACE
How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

Die BREMSSPUR

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 06:48:43 PM »

This reminds me of the story of Hillary capping motherfukkers....
I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

kraster

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 08:37:20 PM »

wwittman wrote on Fri, 29 December 2006 19:13

Fuck the "war on Christmas".

We should be concerned with the very real "war" on SCIENCE.

Yes. It gets scarier by the day.

The problem with this kind of thing going on in the grand canyon is that it validates the 6000 year old earth theory as being somehow on a par with real science. If it is allowed into the education of children then any outlandish theory is up for grabs.
2+2=5

I think in matters of science the notion of comforting or offending someone's beliefs are secondary to the truth itself.
It's a slippery slope.

33% of US citizens don't believe in evolution. 14% believe in it and the remaining 53% are undecided and leaning towards creationism.

It's a little known fact that Ken Miller destroyed the creationist theory in the Dover trial on evolution.
Here's a long video of Ken Miller (who, incidentally, is a theist) explaining how he dismantled every intelligent design argument brought ip in the trial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg

I think there is a concerted and clandestine effort within US society to cover up information that would swing people's belief away from intelligent design.

The most disturbing thing I have seen is "Jesus Camp".
For those who missed it the film is a documentary on a Christian Fundamentalist children's camp where the poor kids are indoctrinated into a militant form of baptism.
Good ol' Ted "I believe you dropped the soap" Haggard makes a suitably patronising and smarmy appearance.

The rot of this medieval pseudo-science is seeping into all aspects of US society and is a huge threat to American culture and religious moderates.

Can anyone spell Theocracy?

Barry Hufker

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 06:58:03 PM »

How old is the Grand Canyon?

Old enough to know better.

Old enough to vote.

Older than dirt.

Old enough to be your grandfather.

Old enough to drive.

Old enough.

Who can say for sure?

I dunno.  You tell me.

As old as your mother.

Ask your mother.

Ask your father, he dug it.

Younger than you are.

I don't know, but it's a helluva hole.

Barry

maxim

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 07:49:22 PM »

the monkeys are running the asylum...

Tidewater

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 08:05:03 PM »

how long is a piece of string?

m
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

maxdimario

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 08:33:35 AM »

unbeliavable.

I live in Italy, north of milan, which is historically an area where there were/are factories.

in the 1850's textile factories were set up, making it the only area of Italy where a lot of industrial money was generated.

the lifestyle around here differs very much from other areas of italy insomuch as the people who live here wake up at 7 am, work all day and go back home to sleep, eat watch TV.

there is a very strong influence of the church here, with bells sounding in all day long.

people generally work all their lives. those who accumulate money, never spend it..

just recently, I have been talking to some people who are  natives.. the ones that are well-off, and it seems that a lot of their relatives leave  a substantial part of their fortunes to the church when they die... not to their family...

they have been sold the idea that somehow the chances of going to heaven are improved with heavy donations.

pathetic.

PRobb

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 04:45:03 PM »

wwittman wrote on Fri, 29 December 2006 14:12

"In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists, our National Park Service is under orders to suspend its belief in geology,"

Absolutely pathetic. Geology is not something you "believe in".

The world is more and more going to be driven by science and technology. And we are rejecting the very concept of science.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

kraster

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 11:36:52 AM »

maxdimario wrote on Sun, 31 December 2006 13:33

unbeliavable.

I live in Italy, north of milan, which is historically an area where there were/are factories.

in the 1850's textile factories were set up, making it the only area of Italy where a lot of industrial money was generated.

the lifestyle around here differs very much from other areas of italy insomuch as the people who live here wake up at 7 am, work all day and go back home to sleep, eat watch TV.

there is a very strong influence of the church here, with bells sounding in all day long.

people generally work all their lives. those who accumulate money, never spend it..

just recently, I have been talking to some people who are  natives.. the ones that are well-off, and it seems that a lot of their relatives leave  a substantial part of their fortunes to the church when they die... not to their family...

they have been sold the idea that somehow the chances of going to heaven are improved with heavy donations.

pathetic.

The whole notion of plenary indulgences has been around in the Roman Catholic church for centuries.
It was this corruption and a number of other reasons in the Catholic church that led to Martin Luther's reformation.

Obviously, although not stated outright, you can still buy yourself or your relatives out of some time in purgatory by offering money to the Church.

“As soon as the coin in the coffers rings,
the soul from purgatory springs”

Dominican J. Tetzel (1517)

P.S. God takes all major credit cards, cash and traveller's cheques.

wwittman

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 08:36:32 PM »

kraster wrote on Mon, 01 January 2007 11:36

It was this corruption and a number of other reasons in the Catholic church that led to Martin Luther's reformation.

and yet there's no lack of Protestant crazy religious intolerance.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer

Annie

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »

the fundamental bloggers will tell it to you straight-

Marijuana is the Gateway Drug.

And Darwin is the Gateway Science.

First it's evolution.  Then comes plate tectonics and the Big-Bang.   Then comes Athiesm.  Then comes self-loathing and misanthropy, which leads to elitism and superiority complexes.  The resulting social ostracization leads to homoeroticism and other perversions.  The insatiable demand for money to fund extravagances coupled with the sloth that accompanies the welfare check creates a visceral hatred of capitalism.  Finally, the abuser is no longer able to feel for his country and multiculturalism takes over.  The transformation is complete.

I've seen it happen again and again.

from talk.origins

i always knew plate tectonics was a liberal scam.

Fibes

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 11:26:08 PM »

If the Corps of Enginers would have filled it up with water like they wanted to years ago this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 18 queries.