R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Text-speak'/internet language allowed in New Zealand's high schools  (Read 1008 times)

Impaler

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2006-11-13-text-speak_x .htm

What do you think of that?

Natural development or the beginning of the end of the English language?

I couldn't believe it when I wrote it...
This world sucks, and I'm its pacifier.

• Nail here for a new monitor

Die BREMSSPUR

Re: 'Text-speak'/internet language allowed in New Zealand's high schools
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 04:11:38 AM »

"thinking" and "that" hmmm....

I for one am all for the destruction of this hideous language.  I work at it all day long.  Like my president, I believe that the whole process of articulation is way over rated.

Imagine if everyone were like the Brits and expressed themselves with clarity and precision.  What fun would that be.  What fun would it be to actually communicate?  I mean what do they actually do with all that communication?  

Run off to the kitchen, and eloquently and brilliantly recite "open can, dump in pot, stir in boiling water until tasteless."  That's clear and precise right?  FUKK THAT!!!!

When I watch a newscast, I want it to be an 'Merican newscast!  I want there to be some doubt as to what the fukk actually happened and who was involved.  This is the spice of life.

I guess when Brits fight it's pretty clear what the fight is about, where as with 'Mericans the first inflammatory phrase is usually, "what did you say to me?"

This is probably why the murder rate is so fukken high.  You can chalk most of it up initially to poor communication.  As the bullets start flying however, communication becomes accute and substantive.  This is why I am proud to be 'Merican.

Slang is another reason to be proud of our accomplishments.  British slang is stupid.  That Rhyming Cockney Slang is super dooper gay (NTTAWWT).  They think they are hip if they are talking like "Huggy Bear" from "Starsky and Hutch" and pepper that with "my gat" and "my bitch".

In the end, and everywhere else, I suppose using text message abbreviations will be our undoing like every other major societal cue that has come from NZ.

What an eye opening experience these youngsters are about to have thinking they are on the cutting edge, only to realize they are losing the entire contest to people who have streamlined it to: fuck, shit, this, that, my, yo, dogg, bitch, yo, wazzup, fuck and yo.

lemme nough dogg....

I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

Version

Re: 'Text-speak'/internet language allowed in New Zealand's high schools
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 11:05:05 AM »

I don't even talk to chicks anymore. I just stare directly into their eyes from across the room until they come rushing over, begging to have my baby or get me something to drink or eat.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.