R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My (work) life... up ended.  (Read 15191 times)

Allen Corneau

• Real Full Name: Allen Corneau
Re: My (work) life... up ended.
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 10:35:12 PM »

Update:

Did my first session in the new room today, a 4 song heavy-rock session, and while I don't think I quite "nailed it" I think I got pretty good results. 

Thanks to some great advice from Dave McNair and others I mostly relied on the gear I already knew (Massive Passive, STC-8 and HEDD) but tried little nudges with the other gear including the API 5500, Crane Song Ibis and SSL comp. Didn't mess with the Summit EQ-200 yet as it seems like the user interface has a bit of a learning curve and I've got enough of that going on already!

Some initial reactions:

First off, the Manley Backbone made it really easy to see what each processor was really doing for/to the sound. I like!

I took to the 5500 fairly quickly and I felt comfortable using it without too much second guessing (it's not exactly a complicated EQ!) Ended up using it on 3 out of the 4 mixes.

The Ibis is a little bit touchy in the boost/cut control (I think this is the standard version) and I'm used to being able to completely disable any/all bands like on the MP. Also find the musical notes a little weird, but I'm sure I get used to it quickly. I really liked what the low-cut was doing for some of these mixes. Used it on 2 songs.

I've never had an opportunity to use an SSL compressor before, and while I found it to be quite grabby I ended up keeping it on one song to help tame some peaks and tighten up the low end a touch.

Managed to get through the session without getting all FUBAR'd in Sequoia, which was my biggest fear. Still getting used to having to switch between two different sessions (pitch/catch) to listen between the songs previously done and the one I'm working on.

All in all, I think the clients really liked the new studio and I felt decently comfortable working in the room. For some reason I felt really good about the session even though I know I have a few things to tweak with the songs.

Woot!
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering
http://allencorneau.com/

lowland

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 06:04:44 AM »

Nice one, Allen! I'm sure you'll go from strength to strength from here.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com

bblackwood

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 07:26:54 AM »

Congrats, Allen. It's unnerving working in a new space, initially, but if the room's good, you'll settle in pretty quick.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Viitalahde

• Real Full Name: Jaakko Viitalähde
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 12:48:13 PM »

Yes, excellent news! You'll be settled in no time, and after a few months has passed you'll be finding out things are rolling really good. Room change is always frightening, but it's also refreshing.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
http://www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering

Allen Corneau

• Real Full Name: Allen Corneau
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 11:52:49 AM »

Just finalized my new business logo...

Designed by Isaac Ayala, an old climbing friend of mine that now lives in Germany. (Skype makes this kind of thing very easy!)

DC: sorry for stealing your diamond design, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Business card and website design is in the works. Now if I can just figure out how to change all my forum avatars...
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering
http://allencorneau.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.