R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PT Certification...meaningless?  (Read 3382 times)

wwittman

Re: PT Certification...meaningless?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 08:17:06 PM »

they're not RELATED

ProTools "chops" have nothing to do with recording ability.

not that they're not useful in their way... just not related.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 09:30:40 PM »

Ok... It sounds like I'm the only person who has actually taken the classes.  So I'll give you my two cents on the subject...

I already knew Protools going in and knew how to use it pretty well.  Most of the information they go over in the classes is in the 600 page reference manual that comes with protools.  If you sit down with that for a while, you'll get most of the same information as you do in the classes...

BUT!!!  the big thing about the classes is they show you how to apply all the functions/tools in protools (which the manual doesn't do very well, if at all)... and the classes also help to "fill in the holes" of what you already know about protools.  

I always suggest that everyone consider taking at least a couple classes.  Even if you work with protools every day, you'll walk away learning something...whether it be about Protools' file management, or some shortcuts or how to use a feature like beat detective or sync points, etc...  Everyone can benefit in some way.  For me, the best part was seeing the Post applications of Protools and realizing that there were a lot of things that would work for music as well.  But everyone will at least find something of value after taking the classes.

One thing you should know about the classes is that they are INTENSE.  They are VERY fast paced and it can get EXTREMEMLY hard for you to keep up if you don't already have some familiarity with Protools.  But the cool thing is they have practice sessions for you to play with and step by step instructions on how to play with those sessions, if you need them.  For example, in one of the classes they have the multitrack recording of a 311 song that the band donated to Digi for educational purposes.  You get to open it up, hear and see the raw (well, somewhat raw) tracks and practice things like Beat Detective, Autotune, Vocalign, Comping from playlists, etc...  Or if post is more your thing, in one of the advanced classes they have the chase scene from the Movie "The Fifth Element".  You have to spot some of the ADR, Sound Effects and Music, then do a quick mix (called a "Dub" in the film world) of the scene.

Now... will it help you to get an internship?  Absolutely NOT!!!  If you get an internship, might it help you stand out next to all the other interns?  Definitely.  The Certification isn't the important thing, it's the knowledge you gain regardless of whether you take the tests or not.  I've had Operater Certified assistants that couldn't even tell me what a SyncIO was nor did they know how to install HD Accel cards into a system!!?!?!  After taking the classes myself, I know all this information is definitely taught, but a lot of the students that get the certification don't absorb the information.  Because of that the certification in and of itself doesn't really separate those who "know" from those who don't.

One other thing about taking the classes that might help you get an intership is the fact that you went to the school.  Most schools have some sort of placement program in place for their students.  While the certification itself might not mean that much to your employer, schools are a good place to search for possible employees.  I usually contact the local schools in my area when I'm looking to hire someone.  Why?  Because if I posted in the news papers or on craigslist I'd get a bunch of people that aren't that serious about the work... Going to a school and making that investment shows that you are taking this at least somewhat seriously (or at least your parents are! LOL).  I do get some kids from the schools that have no motivation, but I also get a lot of kids that are highly motivated and willing to really work their asses off.  So I think, if nothing else, going to school will help you at least "get behind the eight ball" so to speak.

Lastly, the one thing you ABSOLUTELY have to remember is that you don't just go to school to learn.  You go to school to learn how to learn!  Your real education starts once you get out and you start working as an assistant or intern.  Why is that?  Because in this industry, experience is the best teacher.  School kind of gives you all the "building blocks" or "tools"... but experience and the mentoring from others will teach you how to use all those building blocks/tools, and then some!

There are definitely ways to get into the industry without going to school as well, and those are also valid options.  In the end you have to decide what feels right for you and follow that path, whether it be schooling, or purchasing gear and books, or find someone who is willing to mentor you, etc...  

Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 09:40:23 PM »

Also, I should mention after reading over my post that taking the Protools classes in NO WAY teaches you how to be a recording engineer AT ALL!!!  All they talk about in the classes is protools and things you can do with protools.   Some schools will also offer other classes to try and cover areas such as acoustics and microphone techniques, etc...  But to get the Protools Certification you don't need to know any of that... which is why the certification doesn't really mean you are a sound engineer...it just means you know how to use protools.  Just keep that in mind when looking at schools... How is their curriculum for other topics other than "Protools" and what is their teaching facility like?  Do they have recording studios?  how much TIME do the students get in the studios? What classes are actually taught in the studios as opposed to in classrooms/lectures?  How small/large are the class sizes? How is the school's Job Placement Program?  What percentage of graduating students go on to careers in the industry? Etc... these are the kind of questions to ask and look at if you decide to try and find a school.

Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

cerberus

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 10:42:31 PM »

coincident with "certification", they stopped giving out the laminated quick reference card with all the shortcuts printed on it.  remember the quick reference card?  

(dere's muh certifake! got sum f.a.q. 4 me?)

i am certified by shick to use a razor blade. and by 3m for leader tape. also johnson and johnson... never use the same q-tip twice, don't swallow paint chips from the grease pencil, and stop cleaning your ears with isopropyl!

but if your work has been "certified by the r.i.a.a."... now that's a credential.

jeff dinces
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.