R/E/P > Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab Stickies

eBay: How To Avoid Becoming A Scam Victim

<< < (2/5) > >>

John Stafford:
As I write there are two M49s and a set of three 414EBs from a seller who says he will not respond to questions sent via ebay, and who gives an alternate e-mail address. The account holder is in the US, but these items are supposedly in London.

It's such a shame, as I could have done with an M49 for GB

John Stafford:
The whole lot has now been removed.

compasspnt:
John Stafford wrote on Sun, 17 December 2006 20:35

It's such a shame, as I could have...

Yes it is.

And if pigs could only fly...

Mike Cleaver:
I have had nothing but good experiences on Ebay but you have to be very very careful:

*Items being offered for lowball "buy it now" prices always are scams.

* It also helps if all of us who use Ebay and know something about electronic  
  equipment being offered to let Ebay know if the listing is at all suspicious.
  If you are an Ebay member, it's really easy to do and takes only a few minutes.
  And they do respond. Suspected bogus auctions I have reported are often pulled  
  within a day.

* If you're spending more than a few hundred dollars, make sure you are dealing with      
  someone who is reputable and can be contacted by phone.

J.J. Blair:
Mike brings up some good points.  BTW, as soon as you bid on an item, you are able to get the seller's info, including their phone number.  If something seems fishy, put a bid on the item, get that info and call the seller.

Also, those (previously offered on eBay) M49s are back up.  One of those is a repost of an auction from three weeks ago!   It's funny, because the account they are using usually sells jewelry only, and their auctions look totally different.  

As well as notifying eBay, I notified that seller that their account has been hijacked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version