R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Filter plug  (Read 5826 times)

dietrich

• Real Full Name: ds
HP Filter plug
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »

My current plug choices only go down to 16hz, which is usually fine but I love options.

anyone have HP recommendation? I have hardware solutions that start @ 10hz

D

dietrich

Re: HP Filter plug
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »

Found my solution under my nose...The UAD Massive Passive has the mastering version hp/lp choices.

zeropoint

• Real Full Name: Alvin Sommers
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »

My current plug choices only go down to 16hz, which is usually fine but I love options.

anyone have HP recommendation? I have hardware solutions that start @ 10hz

D

the plpar eq is excellent all around for linear phase. HP goes down to 10, and quite steep with the 4-pole option. also has an excellent LPF, 4-pole. of course you can stack the filters within the same module for steeper. virtually no ringing, and an optional min phz as well. great "surgical" eq. mid/side options, as well as L/R for each filter, up to 10 per plugin module, on the fly.

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »

Fabfilter Pro-Q goes down to 10hz.  24, 12 or 6 dB per octave.  It does M/S and can also operate in either minimum or linear phase.  Great digital EQ plugin.  Might be overkill for your needs though. 

dietrich

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »

Fabfilter Pro-Q goes down to 10hz. 

how much CPU does Fabfilter eat?

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »

how much CPU does Fabfilter eat?

Very little if you are in minimum phase mode.  If you use the highest quality linear phase mode it takes a bigger toll on your CPU and also induces latency (as you would expect from a digital EQ operating in linear phase).  Minimum phase mode is very light though.  Give it a demo!

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »

Pro-Q is great!
The ergonomics and thought behind all the fab-filter plugs are a breath of fresh air in the plugin arena. Real nice native plugs.

Ciao'
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

mmarra

• Real Full Name: Mike Marra
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »

How about the Brainworx's bx_cleansweep (http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins/bx_cleansweep_v2)....it's also free
Mike Marra (P.Eng)
João Carvalho Mastering
http://www.joaocarvalhomastering.com & http://elitemastering.com
Toronto, Canada

Andy Krehm

• Real Full Name: Andy Krehm
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »

In spite of all the great outboard gear I have, I prefer the MDW Hi-Res Parametric EQ plug-in for a HP filter.

I will say I haven't tried any of the newer plug-ins but that's mainly b/c the MDW does the job and for almost all other tasks, I prefer outboard.

One advantage of plugs over outboard gear is programability as it is sometimes helpful to be able to change the frequency of the roll-off within a song.
Andy Krehm
Silverbirch Productions
www.silverbirchmastering.com

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »

Both the Flux Epure II and the PSP Master Q do a nice job of this, but I only go to HPF if it really needs it, which is determined by listening.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

Viitalahde

• Real Full Name: Jaakko Viitalähde
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:17:33 AM »

In spite of all the great outboard gear I have, I prefer the MDW Hi-Res Parametric EQ plug-in for a HP filter.

I'm steering this topic away from here, but I've been thinking of this stuff lately.

Low/high passing isn't a daily routine, and there are numerous tasks that aren't daily either. I've always been thinking how I want to add this and that to the rack to do even the rarest things, but I'm beginning to think that these things could just as well be done digitally.

Right now, I'm looking at the Sonoris mastering bundle. EQ+compressor, both can go M/S. These things could do most of the more exotic things I'm after, especially in the EQ domain.

Transparency is one thing to consider. I've spent a great deal of time to make sure my chain improves things instead of taking away, but there's a limit on how many analog processors I want to add. For the odd tasks, digital seems like a better way to go - to me.

I would love to have it as hardware though. I keep on thinking about adding a Weiss processor to the chain, but I'm not so sure anymore.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
http://www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 03:38:02 AM »

I'm with you on the Weiss.  bang for buck - I think there are some more things you can do itb for a better price.  But I am yet to hear a weiss...so who knows.  is it worth $10000, will it get me $10000 worth of work, will my sound improve by that much that clients hear it....
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.