R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors???  (Read 47473 times)

franman

Re: Monitors???
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 12:17:25 PM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Tue, 27 January 2009 11:27

brett wrote on Sat, 14 July 2007 16:47

innesireinar wrote on Tue, 10 July 2007 01:00

Has anyone out there never heard Lipinski 707 ?

Bob Katz is a supporter of them for mastering applications. But they must be used with a subwoofer or pair of subs.

Why?

... because they aren't full range monitors (without the subs)
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »

I figured as much. The 707s don't go down below 50 hertz like most every other quality near/mid field monitor? I thought external subs were mainly just for main monitor playback for clients if one didn't want or couldn't have larger monitors in their room that have design built in subwoofers, but I could eaily be wrong.

Thanks
AB
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Bruno Gouveia

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »

The L-707 are very good speakers that pretty much follow the rules of how a speaker should be built expect that they have passive crossovers and that's not the best way to do a crossover! The only speaker I know of which thoroughly follows the principles is the Legend loudspeakers series from Celtic Audio
htttp://celticaudio.co.uk

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »

I'm going to try out the Focal for starters as my near-field monitors. Not the SM series however. I haven't got than much coin to willingly part with for my first pair of real monitor speakers as I am choosing to sink big funds into a analog board and converters. I will go with the CMS series. I'm also thinking something along the lines of Harbeth, or Paradign passives to try, not just in the control room, but the reverb chamber, and hall too. Then again I might put in-walls in those spaces...several... of which I can select any 1 or 2 of for my desired reverb or delay effect. I'd probably try the Klipsch in-walls if I go that route. Some may think what speaker is used in a reverb chamber doesn't matter. They could be wrong. I could be wrong. I want to put a Manley Snapper on it too. That is all just my plan as of now. Practicality may differ my plan...time will tell.

Thanks to the wise for any help now or later
AB
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

mixwell

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 01:21:27 PM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 07:23

I'm going to try out the Focal for starters as my near-field monitors. Not the SM series however. I haven't got than much coin to willingly part with for my first pair of real monitor speakers as I am choosing to sink big funds into a analog board and converters. I will go with the CMS series. I'm also thinking something along the lines of Harbeth, or Paradign passives to try, not just in the control room, but the reverb chamber, and hall too. Then again I might put in-walls in those spaces...several... of which I can select any 1 or 2 of for my desired reverb or delay effect. I'd probably try the Klipsch in-walls if I go that route. Some may think what speaker is used in a reverb chamber doesn't matter. They could be wrong. I could be wrong. I want to put a Manley Snapper on it too. That is all just my plan as of now. Practicality may differ my plan...time will tell.

Thanks to the wise for any help now or later
AB

The Focal CMS series is great!! They're really true to my ear. You can certainly get some work done with them, no question about it.

B.Mel

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »

I'm about 3 years late for this post topic, but here goes in order of near-mid-mains:

NS10T. They are the original home version NS10 that made the famed studio M series even a standard.

Genelec S30. Let's face it people, it has a three-way active crossover network with ribbon tweeters.  The LF driver is paper cone with a foam surround which, is way more musical than what 1031's LF are made from (polypropylene not really sure).

System 12 Gold Ltd. I know this sounds like a cop out for mains, but for the size and fidelity of these dual concentric drivers they really cannot be matched. They also have a paper cone. If I had to choose a regular client pleaser with an engineer's detail in mind it would have to be the Dynaudio Munro M4+ system with Chord amps.
BDR Sound Design

myspace.com/bevindean9

Bruno Gouveia

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 03:38:35 PM »

franman wrote on Sat, 09 December 2006 04:39

I'll go first:

Griffin G2A (5.1 system) and Griffin G1.5 3-way.. Both active with Griffin ICEpower amplification.. we use analog crossover/controller in our G2A 250Wx2 amplifier package and London DSP processor for our 1000W 250+250+500W Amplifier package on the G1.5. Check em out on our website (link below)... (yeah, it's a shameless plug!! WHAT CAN I SAY!)  Twisted Evil

I've followed your links and found you're a loudspeaker designer: I'll always wanted to ask this to a loudspeaker designer, it might be an inconvenient question but here it goes: Why do you use bass reflex or transmission line or any other resonant technique to extend bass response in your designs?

franman

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2009, 06:07:04 PM »

Bruno,

Let me refer the post to my partner, Lars Tofastrud, who is the "speaker designer".. I'm just the sales weeney in Griffin Audio and I know what I like when it comes to sound. He's the expert in the design and technology that we use. I'll get him to come to this thread and post a reply about bass reflex for you... I know he has his reasons, as he always does... question back at you though>>> Why not?? If it's a better system? Do you feel the sealed box is the only true way to go??

FM
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Bruno Gouveia

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2009, 07:21:25 PM »

franman wrote on Fri, 06 February 2009 23:07

Bruno,
Do you feel the sealed box is the only true way to go??

Well, yes!  Very Happy If the purpose is to reproduce the input waveform as faithfully as possible in theory is the way to go! Why should one have bass through a resonance mechanism if it's possible to have the real thing? And of course I can tell that the best bass I've heard was through a sealed box and it played very loud as well, but I also can tell I've heard bass reflex speakers with excellent bass but I still can't understand why it's so rare to find sealed box loudspeakers!

franman

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2009, 07:33:51 PM »

Once again.. Lars really needs to reply, but it is my understanding that the efficiency issue is the main reason..

and what makes a paper cone 'the real thing'.. isn't a resonator a lot more organic (LOL).... Cool

Lars!! you help here please!!!
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

andrebrito

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »

Bass reflex adds an extra ressonance (lower) to the system, it is just a way to get extra low power for heavy metal music or dance in small speakers hahaha !
--------------
Acoustician and Musician

http://www.onlineacoustics.com - Projects and Products (RGP and Green Glue)

http://www.sonicflames.com - my crazy label

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2009, 02:02:29 PM »

And isn't a reflex design only used on a certain spec woofer and sealed design for a certain spec woofer. Reflex design can make a smaller encloser with a smaller driver sound bigger than it is?

I've known now for some time in other relms of woofage there are designs of drivers that only need only enough sealed space for the driver to fit in that go way down low, and sound smooth while retaining definition and hit you like a sledge hammer to the chest.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Bruno Gouveia

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Sun, 08 February 2009 19:02

And isn't a reflex design only used on a certain spec woofer and sealed design for a certain spec woofer. Reflex design can make a smaller encloser with a smaller driver sound bigger than it is?

I've known now for some time in other relms of woofage there are designs of drivers that only need only enough sealed space for the driver to fit in that go way down low, and sound smooth while retaining definition and hit you like a sledge hammer to the chest.

Yes, I think in closed box woofers it's necessary to guarantee that the dominant spring of the system is the mechanical not the acoustic suspension that the air tight in a box will do. In this situation the mechanical suspension is much more linear than the acoustic suspension, so this is one of the aspects to consider. This is probably due to the difference of pressure inside the box and outside. We need compliant drivers in closed boxes!

L_Tofastrud

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 10:02:58 AM »

Unfortunately there is no simple (and short) answer to the question.. I ended up making a PDF document with some graphs but as this is not an allowed file type i called it jpeg and hopefully it will be ok to download the document and rename it from jpeg to PDF file extension.
Let me know if you can't get it to work and i'll try to post it directly.

Regards
Lars T

Thomas Jouanjean

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »

L_Tofastrud wrote on Tue, 10 February 2009 09:02

Unfortunately there is no simple (and short) answer to the question.. I ended up making a PDF document with some graphs but as this is not an allowed file type i called it jpeg and hopefully it will be ok to download the document and rename it from jpeg to PDF file extension.
Let me know if you can't get it to work and i'll try to post it directly.

Regards
Lars T

Excellent article lars - thanks!
Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.