R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors???  (Read 47486 times)

franman

Re: Monitors???
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »

Wow, it's quite interesing..;
1. None of you have listed 1031A as your primary monitor.
2. We see these in ALMOST EVERY STUDIO we go to.....
3. No one has listed KRK V8's either...
4. Damn, I hate those speakers..

If I've offended anyone than ... oh well (as Fletcher would say!).... Just some observations, that's all. Twisted Evil
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

jfrigo

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »

franman wrote on Sun, 04 February 2007 13:21

It's funny; we have both of those models out in the machine room, available for visiting engineers to the mix room. I'd rather mix on the Boxer T5 mains honestly. Get me some Quested or ATC close fields, or perhaps ProAc or certain Dynadudio, and then OK. But Genelec just does not translate. They sound OK for casual listening I guess, but they're not very useful for work, and don't translate well at all. KRK V8 gives me a similar feeling. But people recognize them.

neustation

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 02:25:18 AM »

Hello,

I use some monitors that I DIY'd.
They are 24L bass reflex cabinets tuned to 53Hz. I used marine grade baltic birch 18mm.
I used Fostex FE167E full range driver with FT17H super tweeter.
I always thought that full range drivers were sucky things that came in shitty car stereos. These really changed my mind about full range drivers.

I made these as an experiment, they exceeded my expectations.

I was looking for something with good midrange,some of the commercial monitors (mackie, genelec, krk) that I have heard seem to lack midrange. The Fostex FE167E have really great mids. I did BSC network (if you don't the high freq will take your head off) and the super tweeter is crossed 1st order at about 15k.

Also the they are high efficiency drivers at around 92db/W after BSC network, so they get pretty loud with a 5 watt class D amp(I use the tripath chip amps).

Out Here,

Robert  

Consul

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 11:47:51 PM »

Just for kicks I decided to pop those parameters with that driver into WinISD, and it gave a pretty favorable curve. Of course, WinISD is hardly the be-all-end-all of speaker design software, but for its price (free) it's better than nothing.

I have yet to pick monitors for myself, so I shouldn't be posting in this thread, but I remain cognizant of the DIY approach. Thanks for posting that.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

organica

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »

franman wrote on Sun, 04 February 2007 13:21

If I've offended anyone than ... oh well (as Fletcher would say!).... Just some observations, that's all. Twisted Evil

Francis

do you hate the 1031A's ?
if so could/would you please elaborate a little ?

no offence taken here btw .

franman

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 10:31:39 PM »

No I don't really hate any of these speakers.. They are not my favorite... but since I am now a partner in a speaker manufacturing company it only stands to reason that I like our Griffin Speakers the best, right??

Gene's are just ubiquitous.. They are the NS10 of the 2000's... I think they are well made speakers, sound good up to moderate volumes and they are "A Standard!"...

The KRK's have never been my cup of tea.. but we see a lot of big time mixers using them (even in studios with our wonderful G1 main monitors!! how sacriligeous!)...

I think speakers are just tools... like a mic, or a console. You can make great records with tools that you are comfortable with and have experience with. That's what it all comes down to.

OF COURSE, having an accurate room is an important tool... probably more important than the mics and consoles... IMHO...
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

j.hall

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 12:30:13 PM »

quested H108's with a nelson pass designed Adcom amp (it makes a huge difference what amp drives these speakers) and my velodyne sub.

i haven't head much else in the mix realm that i like very much.

el duderino

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 03:46:19 PM »

Since 1031A's are/were so common, are many people getting the 8050's these days since the 1031A's are discontinued?

Are they very different?

One of the studio's I use has ns-10's and 1031A's and I'm always happy with how things sound from there. I know 1031A's are availabe used, but I just have a hard time trusting where a used monitor is coming from.  

Tomas Danko

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 05:26:15 AM »

el duderino wrote on Fri, 09 March 2007 20:46

Since 1031A's are/were so common, are many people getting the 8050's these days since the 1031A's are discontinued?

Are they very different?

One of the studio's I use has ns-10's and 1031A's and I'm always happy with how things sound from there. I know 1031A's are availabe used, but I just have a hard time trusting where a used monitor is coming from.  

I think the new 80x0 series are a big improvement over the old 1031A's. But they still sound as if someone put an exciter and limiter in the treble. Masking high frequency detail and making everything sound hyped and "produced" to some extent.

YMMV of course, especially regarding monitors.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

el duderino

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 12:43:42 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Sat, 10 March 2007 05:26

Are they very different?

I think the new 80x0 series are a big improvement over the old 1031A's. But they still sound as if someone put an exciter and limiter in the treble. Masking high frequency detail and making everything sound hyped and "produced" to some extent.

I've heard what you're saying about the high's plenty. Monitors are definitely a preference thing. With that in mind tho, all i've heard about the 80xx series is what you said but it always comes from people who dont really like them. Dont get me wrong, I still value your opinion. I'd just like to get the opinion of someone who used 1031A's for a while and switched to the new ones.

I don't know what it is about them, (maybe its when coupled with NS-10's because they're so heavy on the mids) but using the two has yielded me pretty good results. I heard the S3A's and i thought they sounded great but after talking to a friend (who always used 1031's and ns-10s) he said he has a problem of adding too much highend to his mixes. I know im not him and its a different room and so on, but still interesting to know, for me anyway.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »

el duderino wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 16:43

Are they very different?

I've heard what you're saying about the high's plenty. Monitors are definitely a preference thing. With that in mind tho, all i've heard about the 80xx series is what you said but it always comes from people who dont really like them. Dont get me wrong, I still value your opinion. I'd just like to get the opinion of someone who used 1031A's for a while and switched to the new ones.

I don't know what it is about them, (maybe its when coupled with NS-10's because they're so heavy on the mids) but using the two has yielded me pretty good results. I heard the S3A's and i thought they sounded great but after talking to a friend (who always used 1031's and ns-10s) he said he has a problem of adding too much highend to his mixes. I know im not him and its a different room and so on, but still interesting to know, for me anyway.

Yes, just like you say monitors are extremely personal so in the end one should always listen and pick what you like the best.

I have used 1031A's a lot throughout the years. I never really liked them, because I felt they masked some high end transient information and I could never balance a mix that translated well elsewhere. When the 80x0's came out I thought they sounded much better, and the 8040's were on my short list when I auditioned monitors a few months ago.

I ended up with S3A's, and even though my room sucks I have no problem at all with adding too much treble or low end. I'm very happy with my choice.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

el duderino

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 16:50

el duderino wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 16:43

Are they very different?

Yes, just like you say monitors are extremely personal so in the end one should always listen and pick what you like the best.

I have used 1031A's a lot throughout the years. I never really liked them, because I felt they masked some high end transient information and I could never balance a mix that translated well elsewhere. When the 80x0's came out I thought they sounded much better, and the 8040's were on my short list when I auditioned monitors a few months ago.

I ended up with S3A's, and even though my room sucks I have no problem at all with adding too much treble or low end. I'm very happy with my choice.

thanks, good to know!

compasspnt

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 11:59:08 PM »

I bought 1031's in '92, and often still use the same pair.  I actually like them, for the most part.  At least I know how this one pair translates.  A couple of years later, I got 1032's and they are also still in use.

However, about 2001, an artist who worked here a lot liked my 31's, and wanted a pair, so we ordered that artist some from the same dealer I got mine.

Things had "changed" inside.  The amplifier was different, for sure.

I never liked this newer pair very much, and they have already gone back for repair three times.

Someone else also came in to mix this very artist, and brought 8050's with him.

I tried to use them, and they really threw me off. I just couldn't stand the 8050's.

But that other engineer was able to use them successfully.

Perhaps different, but that's my Genelec story.

franman

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »

quite a few clients whom we have worked with, have found that after using 1031's and then trying 1032's they really don't want to go back to the 1031's... I don't know, I always felt the 1032 sounded a little warmer, and more musical... more headroom for sure. .. interesting about the 'evolution' of the 1031 that you've noticed though..? Hmmmm Rolling Eyes
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

mcolbert

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 05:18:26 AM »

dynaudio bm6a's for mixing
dynaudio bm15a's for tracking....
i will never attempt to master a record, so i will not comment on mastering speakers...
BUT brad blackwood's B&W's sound amazing.....and they look like space ships, which is a plus in my book.
listen...do you smell something?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.