R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source for microphone boxes?  (Read 9298 times)

klaus

Source for microphone boxes?
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:24:06 PM »

Originally Posted By: fivestarstudios on Sun, 01 August 2010

I have a few Neumann LDC's with no boxes, although they are very deserving of one-
 I tried to order a box from Red mics for my 47, but they refunded the money, perhaps they are out of boxes or business-
 I have seen the HE Studioteknik boxes , which resemble vintage Neumann boxes, but I can tell even from the pictures the tolex is a little plasticky looking, and these boxes are over $200..
 Does anyone know of a source for great mic boxes that are reasonable and attractive?
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

rjc

• Real Full Name: Ray Cologon
Re: Source for microphone boxes?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:47:43 AM »

I ordered a couple of wooden boxes for older Neumann mics about two years ago, from vintagemicrophone.com. They took a while (several months) to fill the order, but the boxes when they finally arrived were quite satisfactory.

Not sure if they're the same boxes you're referring to when you say that you tried to order from Red Mics. However I see they still have them listed as available on their web site (there's a link at the lower left of the home page).
Ray Cologon
Darksky Media
http://www.darksky.com.au

Jim Williams

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:46:45 AM »

I would advise against anyone storing a capacitor mic in a box lined with any sort of cloth. That will cause fibers to shed and become attached to the capsule diaphram. If you must, first place the mic in a sealed plastic bag.

GYMusic

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:15:29 AM »

I never thought that boxes that any mics came in were made very well.  I was fortunate to buy a bunch of Pelican cases when they were reasonable.  They last forever.  I think they're a good investment.

John Willett

• Real Full Name: John Willett
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:07 AM »

Have you tried talking to a company like FLEA that make copies, to get one of their boxes?

See HERE.

Mike Owings

• Real Full Name: Mike Owings
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »

I never thought that boxes that any mics came in were made very well.  I was fortunate to buy a bunch of Pelican cases when they were reasonable.  They last forever.  I think they're a good investment.

I came across this post using the search function. While I fear that I should have started a new thread due to the other content hear I will ask hear anyway.

Specifically: I ordered a Pelican 1510 to check out for tube microphone storage/travel. I ordered with the 'pluck' foam. Is it me or does this foam seam 'oily' and 'crumbly' at the same time.

I seem to recall Klaus stating on the other forum that he had used Pelican with success, but did not refer to a specific model or whether the Pelican foam was used. So my specific questions are:

1) Do you find the Pelican foam to be problematic in any way other than that which all foam (apparently) suffers from? That is it needs to be monitored and replaced AFTER several years. Is it OK in the short term (3-5 years)?

2) Does anyone have any thoughts with regards to the foam causing damage to paint on components (vintage power suply, pattern selector).

3) I've got a Pelican 1510 as sample. I currently intend to use it for tube microphones (U67s, M49s, etc.). I've see that it really won't hold all the cables request for a full C12 set. Does anyone prefer a specific Pelican model number or non Pelican alternative?

Thanks!

klaus

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »

Mike,
I would never expose any mic directly to any foam, old or new, crumbly or not.

As mentioned in several of my Stickies, a mic belongs in a plastic bag before being stored anywhere.  With that in mind, I see no problems exposing your mic to Pelican's foam material as long as the barrier protection is used over the mic.

As to testing when it's time to replace the foam, please read this Stickie:
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/415/0/
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »

Klaus, do you like to put a desiccant such as a silica gel pack in the plastic bag with the microphone, in the microphone case outside the plastic bag, or not necessary at all?  Just curious. 

klaus

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 03:06:31 AM »

How about this stickie for an answer:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/415/0/
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Marik

• Real Full Name: Mark Fouxman
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »

Since this is quite a rare item I hope it is OK to plug in my products here (Klaus feel free to remove my message, if you feel I crossed the border). We can make any box to custom fit any microphone (just give us exact dimensions), if there is demand. Laser engraving of the provided logo is not a problem. The box made out of curly Maple with Walnut accents. No foam--we use Maple pillow blocks and piano grade felt. I am attaching for you to see an example of how it looks and how our own microphones fit in it.

Best, M

Mark Fouxman
Samar Audio & Microphone Design
www.samaraudiodesign.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.