R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: You do what you do and they do what they do.....is that it?  (Read 3732 times)

Die BREMSSPUR

You do what you do and they do what they do.....is that it?
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:53:38 AM »

So down at the Turkish place I'm sitting across from this jackass...

He is German....

He doesn't work...

Like so many, including some of my clients, they don't have to work, the gov just gives them cash....and pays their rent.

My refrigerator is fukken empty, I have no health insurance and invested my life savings in my studio.  Next week the fukken assholes are going to collect three-thousand euros in taxes for 2005 from me.

It's going straight to the retard I had lunch with....(he didn't pay for mine btw).

Now...

This guy and a lot of others like him, hang out all day long and smoke and drink and have an opinion about everything....most of them know everything as well, just ask them...

But in the end, and everywhere else, they are human beings with no less a right to exist than I have.  Do they actually lack character?  Or is it just my perspective?  I mean, these guys would never go to bat for anyone, they are usually self-centered and selfish in every way.  I have seen evidence again and again that they will not meet you half way.  They expect a hand out at the studio concerning working on their music and everything else. These are the types that won't do an extra take even when it costs them nothing....

I don't want to be close minded and would love to wax philosophical about the entire clan of them....

I also want to knock them the fukk out!

Personally, the most rewarding period of my life, with very few exceptions, has been since I've come to this forum.  It has given me access to attitudes far advanced than my previous experience.

The real knowledge that comes from building something and running a sucessful business.  The daily fukken stuggle.  Is it worth it?  Are you a better man than a jag off that knows nothing and gets his government pellet every day?

I feel the need to mentor as well as be mentored.  I love it when young people appreciate my time and I totally appreciate anyone that wastes their time with me.

So don't I have an obligation to kick these lazy assholes in the nuts and get them going?  Isn't it time to slip on the jackboots and mentor away?

Is it hypocritcal to be gracious?

I really can't express the exact sentiments I have on this.

Somewhere between buying them a beer and pouring one on them.

any thoughts?

tik

I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

Tomas Danko

Re: You do what you do and they do what they do.....is that it?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:05:39 AM »

I guess we should all contribute in some way while we consume. That may be what bugs you.

You say their opinion is not enough of a contribution? Probably because they're merely experts as far as wellfare go.

For what it's worth, I've never ever asked for wellfare and I've never gone to the unemployment- or insurance office. I try to get a job myself, or make sure to have enough money to avoid working (as I have done for the last seven months or so). Then again I understand there are people lacking some of what I have and know, only sharing an interest in beer with me

For sound audio advice, this place is where we ask related questions. I don't think there are too many wellfare experts around here.

YMMV, of course.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Duke

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 09:05:24 AM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Thu, 07 December 2006 07:53

any thoughts?

tik

WWJD or,
around here
WWLD
index.php/fa/3833/0/
Bruce Hensal

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 09:15:04 AM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Thu, 07 December 2006 21:53

I feel the need to mentor as well as be mentored.

Good. Giving back, or passing on the knowledge you have gleaned on your journey is life-affirming.

tik said

I love it when young people appreciate my time...

It's cool to sometimes be "the wise old man".

Very Happy

tik also said

and I totally appreciate anyone that wastes their time with me.

...and you blew it. Rolling Eyes

I do understand what you are saying in that self-deprecating kind of way, but you need to realise that it isn't a waste of time for either party.

I've been through this.

If you keep saying that you are a waste of time often enough, eventually they'll start to believe you...and no-one will actually want to bother giving you their time anymore.

Who loses?

Think about it.

Cheers,
Tim

"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Duke

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 09:32:50 AM »

any thoughts?

tik

WWJD or,
around here
WWLD
Bruce Hensal

amorris

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 10:12:08 AM »

quote" they are human beings with no less a right to exist than I have"

we let people take advantage of us over abstractions. not to compare "offences" but, we are letting a child molester plead not guilty after he raped and buried her alive. I would fukken kill him if I could.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 10:16:45 AM »

Tik,

Compassion is an excellent quality -- one that shouldn't be wasted on those without it.  It's the old joke -- why do I keep hitting my head against this brick wall?  Because it feels good when I stop.

I don't believe it's your job to berate them.  Nor is it your job to try to get them going in some positive direction.  It is just like any other dependency, whether drugs, gambling, etc.  You can't get them to change until they want to change.  They won't understand your point until they are open to it.  And for now they have no reason to change.

Personally, I believe these people are robbing you -- of time, of money, of esteem...  It may not be their fault that they are "takers".  They might not know better, but unless they are completely blind, they have to see other people struggling to get by.

Liberal guilt is sometimes a good quality.  But when you are being dragged down because of your compassion, it is time to cut the tie between you and them.  How can you help anyone if you no longer have the means to help yourself?

When one of them finally wants to make a difference in his life, then you'll be there to help.  And that help will grow into something good.

Don't cast pearls before swine.

Barry

John Ivan

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 02:58:47 PM »

TIK: "So down at the Turkish place I'm sitting across from this jackass...

He is German....

He doesn't work...

Like so many, including some of my clients, they don't have to work, the gov just gives them cash....and pays their rent.

My refrigerator is fukken empty, I have no health insurance and invested my life savings in my studio. Next week the fukken assholes are going to collect three-thousand euros in taxes for 2005 from me.

It's going straight to the retard I had lunch with....(he didn't pay for mine btw}.

It's a tough thing to watch people around you 'get it all for nothing' while you bust your ass to make end's meet. I think he should have bought you lunch. I would have.. Really.

TIK: "Now...

This guy and a lot of others like him, hang out all day long and smoke and drink and have an opinion about everything....most of them know everything as well, just ask them...

But in the end, and everywhere else, they are human beings with no less a right to exist than I have. Do they actually lack character? Or is it just my perspective? I mean, these guys would never go to bat for anyone, they are usually self-centered and selfish in every way. I have seen evidence again and again that they will not meet you half way. They expect a hand out at the studio concerning working on their music and everything else. These are the types that won't do an extra take even when it costs them nothing....

I don't want to be close minded and would love to wax philosophical about the entire clan of them....

I also want to knock them the fukk out!"

Well whether or not they have character is a matter of perspective. From your perspective, mine and most everyone here I imagine the answer is No. Your comment about these guys never having the thought of going to bat for someone else concerns me. It seems you would like to go to bat for them but, if they wont swing the bat for even them selves then you will be wasting your time?. Maybe they change?  If they seem to be misguided punk ass kid's who you think could grow as people if they're shown a path of hard work and the reward that follows, then maybe it's a worthwhile venture. I don't know. Do they LOVE music? Do they know how lucky they are to be able to play it? Do you think they can grow out of being so lazy that they wont even do another take?  If the answer is no, I'd be careful about giving to much to those who don't understand giving..

TIK: "Personally, the most rewarding period of my life, with very few exceptions, has been since I've come to this forum. It has given me access to attitudes far advanced than my previous experience.

Me too. I've learned a lot here and it still amazes me to think who posts here. Some of these folks around here helped invent what we know as modern day record making. They were recording hit's and making it up as they went [with the help of serious knowledge about proper engineering technique in many cases, of course}, and I am a much better recordist, mixer, and player thanks to the reading I've done here.. Aint it grand?

TIK: The real knowledge that comes from building something and running a sucessful business. The daily fukken stuggle. Is it worth it? Are you a better man than a jag off that knows nothing and gets his government pellet every day?

I feel the need to mentor as well as be mentored. I love it when young people appreciate my time and I totally appreciate anyone that wastes their time with me.

So don't I have an obligation to kick these lazy assholes in the nuts and get them going? Isn't it time to slip on the jackboots and mentor away?

any thoughts?"

tik

If you feel obligated, Then that's how you feel. Somewhere in your mind/heart, you feel that these guy's could be a worthwhile project. Or, you see that they are NOT worth your time and this pisses you off and on some level breaks your heart. FWIW, Yes, I feel that the hard work you are doing makes you a better man ,at least  as it relates to what most of us think of as 'being a man'. I wont pretend to know where they stand in the eye's of God or anything but I tend to think that people who work hard for what they have appreciate what they have and through this, they are put in a position to help others. It's like a circle I guess. You help your self and see what good can come of it so, you then turn to help others in the hope that good will come from it. Kindness is Kindness and It feels good. Whether your helping you, or helping someone else, it just feels good.

I have given a lot of time and effort away in the past and I don't regret it at all. Even when it was not appreciated or, I at least was given that impression, it was still worth it because I learned so much about people and recording. The one thing I will warn you about, and, I'm sure you're way ahead of me already on this is,, Don't get into something that can break you!! Make sure that, if you are going to help these guys, the bills are paid first.. You need to be in a position to help them if that's what you're going to do so, strangely enough, they end up at both the TOP and the BOTTOM  of the list.  They make the Top in line to be mentored but they make the Bottom in terms of making sure the Business flys. It's a tough deal.. I don't need to tell you that, I'll bet you already know.

Sorry for the long ass post. It's just that I've been through this kind of thing as many here have. I bet this aint your first time around either..

Good luck bro..

Ivan..............................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Tidewater

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 03:07:26 PM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Thu, 07 December 2006 09:15

tik said

I love it when young people appreciate my time...

It's cool to sometimes be "the wise old man".

Very Happy

Cheers,
Tim

Much better to be "the wise ass". Schkrew olde.

Tik, I have more ideas, than I do time... bbl on this... oh, and you rock.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

el duderino

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 04:16:46 PM »

So don't I have an obligation to kick these lazy assholes in the nuts and get them going?  

I've found the best way to get them going is to give them a few suggestions on how to improve their situation.

after that tho, dont give them shit.

people who get things for free will never work, or try, or learn to improve themselves or their quality of life.

ok, so there's probably an exception or two out there for that but acting differently wont help the majority. I get asked 10 times a day, at least, for change. Quite often by the same people. If i gave them a thousand dollars today they'd still be there tomorrow asking for change.

I think welfare should be provided to people with time limits. And in that time limit, the person is required to go to school (paid for by the gov't) and maintain a passing grade. If they dont, then no more money. If they do they'll learn and do something. Once they finish some school and have skills to get a job they get 1 year to find one. After that year no more money. If its a matter of sheer laziness then fuckem. I gave up on lazy people a long time ago and i dont know why others havent. If they do get a job, but arent earning enough, then perhaps thats reason for continued welfare. provided they work 40 hours per week of coarse. Actually, maybe they shouldnt. I know people who's parents worked 80 hours a week to make ends meet, what did they learn? do good in school so they dont have to work 80 hours a week..

they also learned not to have a kid every year until your dick falls off if you dont have the means to support them. but thats a different rant. Very Happy

Fibes

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 04:28:53 PM »

As a libertarian I've always felt that people are much better at taking care of each other than the government. All government waste aside, when people are giving of themselves they are much better than a beaurocratic red tape farm at seeking out those who want to be helped.

A handout is not help, a helping hand is.

The people who think that the world owes them a favor can go fuck themselves.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

leester

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 04:55:11 PM »

nevermind... I like what Fibes said.  

Your only obligation IMHO would be not to waste your energy on it.  You'd prefer to mentor someone who wants to hear it, so do that.  Screw the rest of 'em.  IF they change, it will likely be due to a string of circumstance beyond their control that puts them out of their comfort zone, just long enough to enlighten them on a 'life changing' scale.  

When's the last time that happened to you?  

Reminds me of a lil quote, which I'll mis-quote here I'm sure.

"When you think about how hard it is to change yourself, you realize how pointless it is to try and change someone else."

Let that sink in.  It's helped me avoid a lotta heartburn since the day THAT lil nugget 'changed my life' in a way.  

me

- "If you really think I am a 16 year old with a digi 001, then your own challange should be easy for you... shouldn't it.
Consider these insults to your honor and character and your face slapped with a 'muscular chat room' glove."  -  loudist

wwittman

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 06:24:47 PM »

If you're starving, a "hand out" is help.

>>I mean, these guys would never go to bat for anyone, they are usually self-centered and selfish in every way. I have seen evidence again and again that they will not meet you half way. They expect a hand out at the studio concerning working on their music and everything else. These are the types that won't do an extra take even when it costs them nothing....

I've seen these people too.
and I've seen it in rich, successful people who aren't on the dole....

it's a subset of humanity... and has NOTHING to do with class or working status or government assistance.

it may have to do with parenting, but i doubt even that.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

danickstr

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 07:35:40 PM »

I hear you Tik.  This kind of attitude is too easy for people to slip into, after a bad run.  Psychologists have said that the best way to change someone's behavior is to shame them.

If you can say something like, "So is this what you wanted to be when you grew up, a welfare recipient?" But actually mean it, not as a smart-ass thing to say, they may very well say, "yes."  Or they may think about what they have become later, even thought they may not want to.

It is a legitimate question.  And they will answer you based on your sincerity.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

rankus

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 10:20:54 PM »

Give a man a fish ...  and he will eat it in front of you while you starve...
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 16 queries.