R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wavelab 6 tweaks  (Read 4642 times)

Oldfart

Wavelab 6 tweaks
« on: December 01, 2006, 09:59:59 PM »

Well I finally bite the bullet for the upgrade from 5 to 6. I wasn't planning to do so for a while, but since I'm temporarily down for a couple of days for other changes, why not...

My main reasons for doing so, are(in order):

-the new SRC
-the "Smart bypass"
-the spectrum editor (tried it quickly on a guitar pick noise during a quiet part, worked out pretty good considering I don't even know how to use it yet !)

Anyhow, I stupidly ditched my WL5 without taking notes of my "preferences" tweaks (not that I had that many). Anyone here care to share with us what your favorite ones are?

(As always), thank you in advance for your replies,

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

Thomas W. Bethel

Re: Wavelab 6 tweaks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 07:20:21 PM »

Probably a good place to start is here

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=cab b870f94b8af1fa4f604eeaaeaee14

Do a serch for tweaks.... There is a lot of information on this site.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Oldfart

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:48:09 PM »

Thanks Thom.

Added that site to my favorite.

I had forgotten about it. hadn't been there in a while.

Later,

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

Ed Littman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 11:45:06 PM »

Oldfart wrote on Fri, 01 December 2006 21:59

Anyhow, I stupidly ditched my WL5 without taking notes of my "preferences" tweaks (not that I had that many). Anyone here care to share with us what your favorite ones are?

(As always), thank you in advance for your replies,

Oldfart

No reason to ditch 5 when you have 6. they both work on the same machine...just not at the same time.
Ed

Oldfart

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:10:14 AM »

Ed Littman wrote on Sun, 03 December 2006 23:45

No reason to ditch 5 when you have 6. they both work on the same machine...just not at the same time.
Ed

Really?

I did (as I always do now since going thrue hell once), have a tech support guy on the phone, to walk me thrue the install, and the first thing he made me do is ditch 5, saying it was a must for a proper install of 6 !!!

(sigh)

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

DBarbarulo

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 03:25:02 AM »

Hi guys,
I'm planning a new machine for surround purposes. Can you tell me a little more about surround and DVD-A creation on WL6?

Thanks

DB
      www.20Hz20kHz.com
 stereo & surround mastering
            Italy

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 07:46:51 AM »

It works GREAT see this http://www.steinberg.net/128+M52087573ab0.html for more information.

Also join the WL forum and post your question(s) there

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=9 it is free and you get to interact with PG who is the author of WL.

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

greg charles

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 07:53:55 PM »

I'm loving smart bypass. (Does any other program have this feature?) Also the file compare where you can listen to the difference you made between 2 similar wave files is helpful.

As far as tweeks...the only one I can think of which didnt work because of a bug which was corrected in the most recent update is how a wave looks when you open it.

For example I have set my tweaks up so wave colors are dependent on 16, 24 or 32bit float. I also have a wave color for MP3s. It's nice to immediately see the bit rate through colors.  I believe you can also integrate the sample rate too.

mbruce333

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 11:10:31 AM »

greg charles wrote on Wed, 06 December 2006 16:53

For example I have set my tweaks up so wave colors are dependent on 16, 24 or 32bit float. I also have a wave color for MP3s. It's nice to immediately see the bit rate through colors.  I believe you can also integrate the sample rate too.

That's a good one!  I'll have to give that one shot...pretty good thinkin'!

Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

Oldfart

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 06:22:01 PM »

mbruce333 wrote on Thu, 07 December 2006 11:10

greg charles wrote on Wed, 06 December 2006 16:53

That's a good one!  I'll have to give that one shot...pretty good thinkin'!

Mike Bruce

I second that. Great cue Greg.

This is exactly the type of tweaks I was looking for.

I'd love to hear more !!!

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

greg charles

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 09:15:55 PM »

I'm a bit currious as to what the disadvantages of Wavelab 6 is compared to most other higher priced programs that ME's use.  Or another way to look at it is.......why do most mastering engineers use program________instead of Wavelab?

I'm also wondering of the other programs have implemented features such as Smart Bypass?  I see this as an excelent way to compare before and after as the loudness issue has been eliminated!

tldave

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 10:50:10 AM »

I would say the only real "disadvantage" Wavelab currently has is lack of built-in DDP support. It's available as a very expensive add on. I think what makes the difference in price between Wavelab and say, Pyramix or Sequoia is that the latter two can do EVERYTHING from tracking all the way to mastering very well, with flexible routing mixing and monitoring whereas Wavelab is excellent for editing batch processing, mastering and creating discs and that's it.

So when it comes to final editing and mastering duties, I can't think of anything I'm aware of another Mastering DAW doing that Wavelab can't. And everything in Wavelab is incredibly easy to do. I think the most important thing that causes one person to choose software A over B is how easy it is to get around and work inside the program. Sequencing and coding a CD in Wavelab is very simple, in the Samplitude demo I have it seems weird and illogical to me, just my personal preferences.

For example, I love Wavelab but I really hate having to set the cursor and then press "S" in the montage to make a cut. The other option is to double click in a specific "zone" to cut. I really wish there was just a scissor tool(like every other DAW on the planet) that I could select and make a dozen cuts as fast as I want. I've asked WL's programmer Philipe about it and he thinks the idea of a dedicated cut tool is ridiculous. Also, WL sometimes won't read all of the CD text I inlcude on a disc USING WAVELAB but plextools reads it all just fine so i can be sure it's there. Little, irritating things that go away with each update.

All the functions are there, they just have different names and different implementations. WL has clip effects, Sequoia calls it object effects, etc. I guess you just have to demo everything and go with what you like, but I wouldn't feel guilty about using wavelab because it costs less than other programs. It's just taken WL a while to get to where it is today and in that time there have been other programs to suit the needs of ME's better, but I don't think that is the case any more.

So do I love WL 6? Yes. Am I looking into Sequoia and Pyramix? Yes. Have I yet been able to justify the cost vs what WL 6 is already doing for me? Not by a long shot. The metering, delay compensated everything inlcuding external effects loop, the smart bypass (WL exclusive I believe)and ease of use keep me a loyal WL user.
David W. Holt
www.tlaudio.net
Mastering outside the box

Bob DeMaa

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 07:13:34 PM »

I just installed windows on my MacBook Pro. After going through the new features in WL6, I'm really looking forward to checking this out. Thanks for the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 22 queries.