Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: y  (Read 15628 times)

Dave Hecht

Re: Alignment of Studio Magnetics AR2400 2"
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 04:22:02 PM »

sodderboy wrote on Tue, 28 November 2006 12:52

Somewhere in sunny Florida-

Lassie:  Woof! woof-woof. . .  woof, woof-woof-woof-woof.  Woof woof woof.

Larr:  Oh, you're right girl.  This Otari RHS play tension should be 400 g and not 425.  

Keef:  Um, actually, Lassie, that SR# machine should be 395 g.

Lassie: woof, weef!

Keef:  It's OK.  That rev. C gets the best of us.  Walkies!

Dave:  who let that dog into the forum?

Larry, you made my day!  The possibilities are endless with "Studio Lassie".
Mike

Mike,

No problem with a dog in the forum. As long as he doesn't rant at us because he doesn't like the advice he's given.

Dave Hecht

Andy Peters

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 06:16:31 PM »

Dave Hecht wrote on Tue, 28 November 2006 14:22

No problem with a dog in the forum. As long as he doesn't rant at us because he doesn't like the advice he's given.

Besides, on the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

http://www.unc.edu/courses/jomc050/idog.jpg

(from The New Yorker, July 5, 1993)
-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Buzz

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 01:14:46 PM »

I have met Al in several other music forums and this has been his behavior at every one of them !!!

So just ignore him and he'll go AWAY !LMAO

LAter
Buzz

Dave Hecht

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 02:57:38 PM »

Buzz wrote on Wed, 29 November 2006 10:14

I have met Al in several other music forums and this has been his behavior at every one of them !!!

So just ignore him and he'll go AWAY !LMAO

LAter
Buzz

Why does that not surprise me? He doesn't have to go away - we're all laughing AT him, not with him.

Dave Hecht

althemusicwizard

u
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 05:56:40 AM »

ssltech

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 10:37:18 AM »

Al, I hope you appreciate that I've never tried to crucify you, and I think you're being a bit oversensitive to what others are saying. -Certainly if I was there, watching you do what you've described thus far, I'd ask for you to hand me the screwdrivers/allen keys, and watch for a few minutes, while I talked you through it and pointed out the mines to avoid...

Anyhow:

Do it. Prove us all wrong. It'd be a valuable education for us if you did.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Dave Hecht

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 02:12:33 PM »

Al

Even when you try and be rational , it becomes a rant. As I read Mike's post, it comes off as him trying to be humorous, not insulting. What he (and Keith, Larry and Tom) were trying to tell you is these adjustments require experience, and should be done by a qualified tech.

After several similar responses, you replied by ranting that "I don't want your advice, I want you to tell me how to do this"
( not an exact quote, but the basis of your reply). You also did that in an offensive manner.

The earlier posts were all trying to help you, and not once were you called an asshole or an idiot (your words). After your ranting began, it was fair game for anyone who wanted to reply. You picked the fight - expect to get hit back.  After I pointed out that your responses were out of line, I got criticised as well, and basically accused of taking sides against you.

Another poster also claims you've pulled similar crap on other forums. Hearsay yes, but it does fit your pattern. I don't care what you do elsewhere, but it does give some indication of who we're dealing with.

Apparently you still don't get it - several highly experienced techs give you the benefit of their experience and you shit on them. I value their participation in this forum even if you don't, and I don't want them feeling they're wasting their time here.

Enough is enough. I've tried to keep this on a professional level, but you seem intent on taking it into the gutter. So be it.
You've been an ungrateful asshole (yes, NOW i'm calling you an asshole, feel free to quote me) right from the start. You don't have the intelligence ( and NOW I'm calling you an idiot, again feel free to quote me) to accept good advice. Instead, you'd rather behave like a spoiled child and throw a tantrum whem you don't get your way. In the future, feel free to take your problems anywhere but here. Until you can learn to act in a professional manner on my forum, your participation here is not welcome..

Dave Hecht

althemusicwizard

R
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2006, 05:40:11 AM »

ssltech

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2006, 07:52:44 AM »

Al,

Add me to the 80% if you haven't already done so: -but you're omitting a key part: I don't think you should do this without personal instruction from a tech.

Hel, you're here asking for help from a tech. All everyone's done (yes: EVERYONE) is say that it's the sort of help that a tech needs to be PHYSICALLY PRESENT to give, and that you've almost certainly done more harm thn good. I am in full agreement. I think I just expended more patience in trying to het the message across, but I think it's just not taking root, -and that's a pity.

As for 'Love Thy Neighbour', -to my mind you've also omitted to mention the crucial part of the comedy: namely that while these two equally bigoted men of the same age and background but different races were insulting each other, their WIVES were the best of friends.

-In the majority of instances which I remember, the comedy was found in how stupidly the husbands were driven to behave, and how the wives, -who ignored the race issue and simply got on with their lives by working together- didn't get into the same farcical self-induced messes that their husbands did.

-yet all anyone seems to remember is the white guy shouting "N**-***!" and the black guy shouting "H****!" at each other, due to their forced proximity. (For the Americans, who will NEVER see this show due to its political sensitivity, they lived in mirror-image "terraces" (row-houses) where the front doors were about eighteen-inches apart, to reinforce the friction when they met.)

-So I do get it. -What was being ridiculed in that show was not the races, it was the men. They were the bigots. -both as bad as each other. The women were there as a foil by way of contrast.

Now, I'll try again one last time: -You came here seeking help. Perhaps you'll accept this wording:

I'd have to be there to SHOW you what you need to do. I can't describe it to you sufficiently well for you to avoid the pitfalls -and I don't think anyone else here can either.

And a job half-done is no use: a head-path alignment has to be gold-plated, one-hundred percent "gnats-knacker" spot on, or it will start to wear things that will do permanent damage. This damage is not apparent until it's just too late, and -once again- it's simply too much for us to describe EVERYTHING you have to avoid.

If you're approximating, you're screwing yourself. -not now, but in the future.

-If you're reaching adjustment limits on the way to setting up the path, you're not seeing the "turn back!!!" signs.

If you're not seeing the "TURN BACK!!!" signs, you're approximating.

I can't give you any more clear or accurate advice.

You need help. -You know that, you came here asking for help. Everyone has said that someone has to be physically looking at the machine to give that help.

And your response is "Don't tell me that I need a F****king Tech".

Good luck. Something has to change.

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Dave Hecht

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2006, 01:05:45 PM »

althemusicwizard wrote on Fri, 01 December 2006 02:40

Dave,

Usually there are three sides to any argument. My motive for replying to your thread is not to say 'I think you're wrong'....you're entitled to your opinion and interpretation as you see fit. For the record, Buzz says he's seen this on other occasions on other sites. It's funny that I only remember him from VS Planet, and I've only had a 'spat' with one person there about 2 years ago.....Strange that you should come to a conclusion about me or for this to add weight to your conclusion about who I am.
I do seem to have hit a raw nerve with you though, the end of your post had the tone more like the person you were accusing me of being.
I don't know you from Adam, Dave. If you're involved with music chances are you're a decent bloke.
I only had one motive for posting on this site, that was to get my machine working to the best of its ability. As it seems impossible to get anyone to look at the machine, this will probably be down to myself to sort out. Any suggestions as to books, articles to read would have been useful....I guess I'll have to track them down myself.

Al    

Al,

I haven't based my opinion of you on Buzz' comments. I merely said it was hearsay, but did suggest a pattern. As for the tone at the end of my last post, it was intended to come off that way. Not as "the person I was acusing you of being" but as the person you have been all through this. And judging by your response here, it's the only thing that gets through to you. As for not suggesting books on the subject, you still don't get it. We have all been trying to tell you the information you need has to be shown to you in person, and that attempting the transport adjustments on your own will likely result in some damage to the machine.

Dave Hecht

althemusicwizard

R
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2006, 03:10:16 PM »

ssltech

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2006, 04:50:53 PM »

What part of the country are you in?

You never know... I may even know someone...

Keith

althemusicwizard

R
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2006, 09:13:25 AM »

ssltech

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2006, 10:03:25 AM »

AH, maybe Gurdo can hook you up! Very Happy

-Assuming you mean Manchester England and not Manchester New Hampshire (And if a Studio Magnetics machine ever made it to New Hampshire, I expect it would be shot!) I'll ask around.

Peter Coghlan sadly died at the beginning of last year, or else I'd say you could do no better. It's been 12 years since I left the NorthWest. I know one bloke in Liverpool who is an sxcellent guy for electronics, and who services a growing number of analog tape machines, but before I reccommend him I'll ask how he is with tape path... He may not have ever had to go down to grass Roots before, I'm not certain.

Other than that, who's looking after teh machines at places like Parr Street, and could they be persuaded to make a 45-minute trip over on the M62?

Keith

althemusicwizard

R
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 20 queries.