R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie!  (Read 2131 times)

forgetmeknots

Re: Newbie!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 06:39:38 PM »

Hey Pam,

Welcome and congrats on landing that first job!

The best advice I can offer (I think I heard it from Brad on here and it stuck!)
"If you are the only one always talking, then you're telling everyone what you do know (or don't) and If you keep quiet and pay attention you will learn what others know"

I didn't quite word it as eloquently as he put it, but pay attention to everything, all the time, and when you have a question, think about it before you ask, and you will most likely find that in time you'll solve them yourself.  

I remember many nights retracing the evenings events, after the session wrapped up, through my mind and making sure that I understood what we did, and why we did it.  But remember, if you have have to ask questions, to keep them to a time when it is convenient for an answer.  (This is a pet peeve off mine as well when I am mixing)

Aside from that, use your ears, and when it's in the sweet spot you will hear it, you just need to train your ears, they're your money, so treat them like a pro athlete would treat his legs, cause when they're gone they're gone, read all you can, question everything (when it's okay to do so) read, read ,read....(I like books, they're better than manuals AND internet forums when you need to get to the crux of the matter.)

But nothing can beat the stories and experience here, that much I will say for sure, so ask lots here as well, because I could almost bet that the people that made some of your favorite albums are lurking here as well, I know lots of makers of my favorites are.  

Good luck with everything, and stick with it through thick and thin, and I think you'll come out on top.

Feed Your Head - Listen
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 17 queries.