R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr Lavry's forum is gone.  (Read 29913 times)

Fletcher

Re: Mr Lavry's forum is gone.
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 08:37:57 AM »

John Ivan wrote on Tue, 21 November 2006 12:21

Brad, am I to understand that Dan was ASKED to leave? Over this Business with this Max clown? and Fletcher, who I think is a great great cat but who I think over stepped? Is this because a certain digital Audio company is not happy? I'm not accusing, simply asking.

Yes, you are accusing.  You're not even being subtle about it.  Dan was ASKED to leave because he and "the President" of Lavry Engineering became abusive with the management of the website, they had enough of the Lavry's bullshit and fired the guy.

There is no Oliver Stone like agenda here.

I was not part of the decision process... but when it was run past me [as decisions of this nature are] I rubber stamped it in a heartbeat as I too was sick and fucking tired of his/their bullshit.

I have 10 moderators with whom I have to work... which doesn't count Brad and Bruno.  Brad is an administrator.  Brad and I talk about once a week to discuss what has been going on, what we can do better, what we should keep an eye on, blah, blah, blah.  Bruno is Brad's guy... I have never spoken to him either verbally nor by email.  Eventually I will, but at the moment we have yet to meet.  The other 10 can range from "can you take a look at this and tell me what you think" to ruining my day by ripping management a new asshole because they haven't been paid in what they consider a timely manner.  Neither here nor there.

But I have to say... for the amount of traffic Lavry's forum drove the pain in the ass far outweighed the benefits from my perspective.  To that end, I explained to my boss that unless they were going to come up with a significant raise for me they weren't paying me enough to take Dan "+1"s bullshit and either [my boss] could deal with Dan or I was out of here.  I don't need the money bad enough to warrant the time suck that was "backstage Lavry".

Now... as for the cowtow to the advertiser or the large purple company from Santa Monica... Apogee does not advertise, nor shall they be permitted to advertise for the remainder of the year.  After the end of this year we will review whether or not their advertising may or may not be admissible.  When the nonsense started Apogee was not an advertiser... and even though Mercenary Audio and Apogee Electronics have been working on a "co-op" campaign of ads, they were not permitted on R/E/P for exactly the reason outlined, an intimation of impropriety.

To whit we have our next contestant on "As the Hard Drive Turns"

malice wrote on Tue, 21 November 2006 14:27

He was not hidding his aggenda, as Brad is not hidding his crusade against the "mastering mafia" as Fletcher is not hidding his bias toward the gear manufacturers he doesn't pimp, as Steve Albini doesn't hide his dislike of majors.

Fletcher works at Mercenary Audio.  As of January 1, 2006 he no longer held the "center office".  That office belongs to Jay Fitz.  Fletcher has a desk in the "Redrum" [the 'marketing' department].  That office is shared with Samara Krugman, M-A's director of marketing and public relations.

I spend the lion's share of my time in a little room in the back of the building just off the warehouse.  That room is called "The Methods and Applications Laboratory".  You will hear more about it as days go on as I spend my time in that room developing content for the website that will be going up sometime in the spring of '07.

The main thrust of that room is for me to work on product development with different manufacturers [can you say "Mercenary Edition"... I thought you could] as well as auditioning and devising application notes for new product to be carried by M-A.  Get it... "Methods and Applications Laboratory"... where I devise "application notes" for the stuff Mercenary sells.

If you think my "bias" towards manufacturer's that Mercenary doesn't sell isn't because their gear isn't up to my standards, or because their gear isn't something special [like I have 3 things in my rack that do 98.7% of what this new thing does which in my book makes the new thing irrelevant] then you need to do some serious fucking soul searching.

One of the reasons I got this gig was because I'm usually pretty good at separating church and state.  As I am the arbitor [for the most part] of what M-A does and does not carry from the sonic/technical perspective [Jay Fitz deals with the political aspects... I have no fucking patience for that shit anymore], I would say that it is a pretty safe bet that the reason that M-A doesn't pimp their shit is because it don't measure up... but its cool if you want to read some kind of evil conspiracy theory into the fold... we are in the entertainment business, if that entertains you all I can say is "Mazel Tov"
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

malice

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 09:19:55 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 22 November 2006 14:37

To whit we have our next contestant on "As the Hard Drive Turns"

malice wrote on Tue, 21 November 2006 14:27

He was not hidding his aggenda, as Brad is not hidding his crusade against the "mastering mafia" as Fletcher is not hidding his bias toward the gear manufacturers he doesn't pimp, as Steve Albini doesn't hide his dislike of majors.

Fletcher works at Mercenary Audio.  As of January 1, 2006 he no longer held the "center office".  That office belongs to Jay Fitz.  Fletcher has a desk in the "Redrum" [the 'marketing' department].  That office is shared with Samara Krugman, M-A's director of marketing and public relations.

I spend the lion's share of my time in a little room in the back of the building just off the warehouse.  That room is called "The Methods and Applications Laboratory".  You will hear more about it as days go on as I spend my time in that room developing content for the website that will be going up sometime in the spring of '07.

The main thrust of that room is for me to work on product development with different manufacturers [can you say "Mercenary Edition"... I thought you could] as well as auditioning and devising application notes for new product to be carried by M-A.  Get it... "Methods and Applications Laboratory"... where I devise "application notes" for the stuff Mercenary sells.

If you think my "bias" towards manufacturer's that Mercenary doesn't sell isn't because their gear isn't up to my standards, or because their gear isn't something special [like I have 3 things in my rack that do 98.7% of what this new thing does which in my book makes the new thing irrelevant] then you need to do some serious fucking soul searching.

One of the reasons I got this gig was because I'm usually pretty good at separating church and state.  As I am the arbitor [for the most part] of what M-A does and does not carry from the sonic/technical perspective [Jay Fitz deals with the political aspects... I have no fucking patience for that shit anymore], I would say that it is a pretty safe bet that the reason that M-A doesn't pimp their shit is because it don't measure up... but its cool if you want to read some kind of evil conspiracy theory into the fold... we are in the entertainment business, if that entertains you all I can say is "Mazel Tov"

Ok, Fletcher was not paid enough for his gig at PSW, that does not surprise me (I was not paid much either). Apparently, he has barely the time to read posts, not necessarely the time to comprehend them. I will simplify in order to save his precious time.

1) I didn't like the way Lucas poped up after Dan left: it's personal, my vision, you may like or may not like it, it is not open to a huge debate, merely an opinion.

2) I illustrated my reponse to Lucas about people having aggendas. Fletcher might feel attacked, wich is somehow beyond me, but I was only making a point about everyone being biased (again, an opinion, nothing to write much about). I won't bust Fletcher's precious balls by quoting him endlessly about being "biased", but no one would contest reading from him quotes like "of course, I pimp them, so I'm biased".

Again, I don't feel there is a conflict of interest by moderating a forum and being related to manufacturers or being a manufacturer yourself. Geeeez !

3) I tried to respond in the archive, I couldn't. Lucas could and then the thread was locked. I don't give a fuck why. I don't give a rat's ass about this place being the last bastion of free speech. I couldn't care less about this.

And I wanna Fletcher  to read this slowly:

Don't aim at my throat before having a clue about what I'm talking about. I was not attacking you, so don't bust my balls.

comprende ?

malice (over and out about the subject)

Fletcher

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 10:38:09 AM »

I agree that having opinionated moderators isn't a problem... and the reason Lucas was allowed to post in that thread was so he could respond to Chris's query... call it equal time or whatever you like but that was the reason behind it.

Dan makes a fine product and has a passion for the science that is shared by few in our industry.  On a personal level I'm not so sure he understands the "music" aspect of the endeavor but he definitely understands the science as well as anyone involved with that level of digital audio.

I will reiterate that the sacking of Mr. Lavry was based purely on his inability, and the inability of the President of Lavry Engineering to work and play well with others.  Nothing more, and certainly nothing less.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

malice

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 10:43:39 AM »

Got your PM Fletcher,

Thanx for the explaination above as well. Makes more sense to me now.

Peace

malice

rankus

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 02:09:05 PM »

Move along folks there's nothing more to see here....
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

John Ivan

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 04:21:14 PM »

Thanks for being straight about this Fletcher. One thing I can take to the bank is that you don't bullshit people and I've always believed you care about quality and the usefulness of all this gear around us.This isn't ass kissing but if I were in a position to buy some shit, I'd buy it from you because I think your a straight shooter and I don't like Market-speech much. I've been reading you for a long long ass time.

My only bitch is how Max came walking in and what he ended up representing. That's a personal opinion and that's that. On the issue's relating to what goes on back stage, well, I can relate to that and you've made it clear. So, onward we go..

I really was asking, but it was littered with sarcasm.

I wont pretend your gig is always easy but, these manufacturers should know better than this one showed, this time around.

Peace,, Hope everyone has a great Holiday. Get outside if you can, it's about 50 D' here and the sun is out.

Ivan..................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Revolution

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006, 04:35:06 PM »

No matter why or how Mr Lavry was sacked (or weather it was justified)to an outsider with now knowing of what has gone on behind the scenes I would have to say again Apogee have come out looking very bad over this.

This has obviously been handled quite badly. That is I guess how conspiracy theory's start after all.

Just an outsiders view from the other side of the globe.

Ashermusic

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2006, 04:41:03 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 22 November 2006 15:38

I agree that having opinionated moderators isn't a problem... and the reason Lucas was allowed to post in that thread was so he could respond to Chris's query... call it equal time or whatever you like but that was the reason behind it.

Dan makes a fine product and has a passion for the science that is shared by few in our industry.  On a personal level I'm not so sure he understands the "music" aspect of the endeavor but he definitely understands the science as well as anyone involved with that level of digital audio.

I will reiterate that the sacking of Mr. Lavry was based purely on his inability, and the inability of the President of Lavry Engineering to work and play well with others.  Nothing more, and certainly nothing less.

Peace.

Render unto Caesar what is Casears.

How a mic-pre sounds is a "music" aspect. Whether a Big Ben reduces jitter of an single properly designed converter is science. And since the Big Ben is only a clock AFAIK it cannot positively affect the sound unless one prefers the sound of more jitter.

Apogee makes claims they simply cannot back up scientifically and people tend to accept them because they are Apogee. Dan had the guts to say that the Emperor had no clothes.

Too many folks here WAAAYYYY overrate their ears which as we all know can very from room to room, day to day, etc.
Composer, Logic Pro Certified Trainer, Level 2
Author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 8"

www.jayasher.com

danlavry

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2006, 05:36:14 PM »

“Lavry Removed as PSW Moderator because of Church Magazine Editor’s politics:”

1)Church Magazine editor and ProSound Web owner Mark Herman did not want to stand up for the truth. Muffling the truth is a compromise that many publishers try very hard not to do. He gave into pressure from some of his moderators at ProSound Web to edit Lavry’s highly technical truths. Herman could not take control of those who wanted to muffle and delete facts from Lavry’s postings.

2)Behind the scenes “Junk Yard Dog” Fletcher from Mercenary Audio lobbied the moderators and convinced them with false statements. Fletcher had been standing on the fence trying to balance both Lavry and Apogee until Lavry fired Mercenary Audio for not complying with Lavry company policy. Mercenary Audio is no longer allowed to sell Lavry products.

3) Lavry was removed unceremoniously and disrespectfully by Herman . Lavry had fought for a year and a half to have a particular thread entitled “Proper Wordclock Implementation” reinstated. Some of Lavry’s technical statements ruffled feathers of Apogee Electronics and their Chief Salesman Max “Putznik “who could not respond technically to Apogee’s unjustified marketing claims  

4)As if PSWs loss of credibility was not already called into question Herman and Fletcher further discredited themselves by allowing the Apogee engineer to post an answer onto my  "locked thread" Proper Wordclock Implementation thread . I had asked for months for a response from Lucas but the timing of his post was cowardly. I equate it to hitting a man with his hands tied. The fact that I had not ever edited Lucas is well documented. Unless Fletcher deleted his acknowledment of this fact, one can find it in the thread.

5)For Fletcher ( I assume he also speaks for Herman who is hiding out) to dismiss and justify his actions by saying that  Lavry did not play nice with others a very low class dodge and should be an insult to thinking people.

6)One last punch was for Herman and Fletcher to change the total number of hits for that thread to 195 views and 220 replies . The total was number of views was 18072+ last time I noticed.

7)Dan Lavry will be answering questions from his company forum http://www.lavryenginering.com from now on.

Dan Lavry
http://www.lavryenginering.com

malice

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2006, 08:57:01 PM »

Though now we have both sides

malice

Fletcher

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2006, 09:12:04 PM »

1) Lavry calls Fletcher & Herman shanda fur die goyim... to which Fletcher laughs... Lavry is ongepotchehket.  

2) Lavry says that Mercenary was fired when the TRUTH was that Lavry said "we only take Mastercard and Visa" to which Mercenary said "fershtinkiner, tsutcheppenish took our checks before? Vus mach da?"  

3) Shmendrick was removed uncermoniously because ceremony was unbefitting the occurance.  Who's the shtunk?  Who knows?  Who cares?

4) Lavry the svantz continues to make a tsimmes out of it continuing to call Fletcher a shanda to which Fletcher gets ver clempt [sarcasm].

5) It's a zetz to thinking people that you allow the messugina yenta to front your company.

6 & 7) [because I'm getting bored of this] Lavry can go fuck himself.

Mr. Lavry, please go mind your shop.  I agree with Mr. Herman [who FYI isn't the owner here, but he's still my boss as I used to be your boss until my boss sent you and your mishegos packing]... you need to be gone.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Logichead

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2006, 09:20:37 PM »

Well, well, well.

Name calling now?

Sorry to say it, but this kind of thing clarifies why Dan was removed as moderator.

Fletcher's comment about the "music" aspect of gear was right on - I agree that Dan is able to argue the technical details in very fine detail, but I have seen him time and time again ignore the "music", getting caught up in the technical reason something is better, when in application it doesn't sound better, or as good.

I got into one of these kerfuffals with Dan awhile back - my point was that I heard a sonic improvement when I added a Big Ben to my rig. Do I know or care what the jitter measurements were? It sounded better! (I was impressed at how much material Dan could put out in a short amount of time - I saw no evidence of cutting and pasting from previous postings.)

Dan will be better off posting at a forum he controls.

Hopefully PSW will survive the loss.

Best...H

CCC

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2006, 10:28:26 PM »

Wow.

malice

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2006, 10:36:31 PM »

Logichead wrote on Thu, 23 November 2006 03:20

Fletcher's comment about the "music" aspect of gear was right on - I agree that Dan is able to argue the technical details in very fine detail, but I have seen him time and time again ignore the "music", getting caught up in the technical reason something is better, when in application it doesn't sound better, or as good.

otoh, he makes killer converters. And clocking lesser ones with them results in significant improvement.

malice

Fibes

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2006, 10:47:18 PM »

<delivered in a hip hop style flow>

I like internal clocks and I cannot lie...

Go eat some turkey and be thankful this world contains people who spit in the face of convention and not sea otters riding ostriches into battle.

On second thought, not.

Fuck you Fibes.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.