R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control room vs. tracking room  (Read 4215 times)

Bill_Urick

Control room vs. tracking room
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:34:40 AM »

Any opinions on how acoustical objectives would differ in treating a control room as opposed to a recording space?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

franman

Re: Control room vs. tracking room
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 03:25:15 PM »

Bill,

That's a pretty wide open question. I think you need to qaulify that a little bit... Of course there are differences in the approach to treating CR vs. Recording room. BUT... there are si many different objectives for difference clients and their recording rooms... pretty much everyone we work for wants their control room to be "accurate and comfortable".. admirable goals and if they follow our advice we can usually achieve it...

These same objectives do work quite well for small to mid/small sized recording rooms (say up to 300SF)... After that, people usually want to start to talk about a "Live Room" and some Iso booths.. A popular approach we use for mid sized Iso Booths is what I call a "Neutral and Natural" sounding room. It is treated very similarly to a control room with a combination of corner bass trapping, Helmholtz slat treatments and a Hard floor and mid sized window (typically)...

so yes, the same approach can work in both purposes.....
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Bill_Urick

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 06:39:53 PM »

I should have specified that I was referring to smaller recording spaces. Would it be correct to assume that symmetry is less of an issue in a recording room? Also, you mentioned a "hard floor". Is that always preferable to a carpeted floor?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

franman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 07:39:20 PM »

Yes, symmetry would be less a consideration... really not a consideration unless you were doing something non-typical...

No, it doesn't have to have hard floors... We typically trap almost all of our ceilings, so in a mid-sized room we would opt for a hard floor... smaller rooms would have carpet typically.
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Bill_Urick

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 11:06:32 PM »

Where would you draw the line between mid-sized and small rooms?

franman

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:17:35 PM »

If your booth is much less than 200SF, I'd probably be leaning towards the deader side... Less than 150SF definitely... You can still get away with some Helmholtz slats... but deaden up as much as possible, especially if the ceiling is low and Add some corner BASS TRAP!! (so it's not muddy sounding)..

Now... there's another option... how about the totally diffuse room!! This is a different solution BUT it will cost you some cash to put together a lot of true mathematical diffusors.. Yes you can build them yourselves, but you have to get reasonable diffusion over a broad range which requires some work...

Lars, has built smaller rooms like this.. it's a totally different way to go...
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Bill_Urick

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 11:28:24 PM »

Franman,

Thanks for all the input and patience with my questions. It's all after the fact as the room is already built, but I think I lucked out on this one. Everything seems in line with your suggestions. Thanks again!

franman

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 11:23:02 AM »

ok...glad that our (after the fact) advice was useful???
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Bill_Urick

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 11:23:23 PM »

It actually was very useful. The treatment of the room was determined by some idiosyncrasies of the room, and assortment of sources of info and gut feel. (All in process before your forum started here.) I was worried about a couple of things before and I'm not now. So I have extra time and energy for worrying about some other things.  Smile That is very useful indeed! Again-thanks!

Sin x/x

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 06:22:10 AM »

franman wrote on Mon, 20 November 2006 22:17

Now... there's another option... how about the totally diffuse room!! This is a different solution BUT it will cost you some cash to put together a lot of true mathematical diffusors.. Yes you can build them yourselves, but you have to get reasonable diffusion over a broad range which requires some work...

Lars, has built smaller rooms like this.. it's a totally different way to go...

I have never heard of this, can you explain this?
- What the pro's and con's are of diffuse rooms compared to dead rooms.
- When you can apply them and when not.
- All the things I forgot.

Thanks.

P.S. maybe this should be in a new separate thread?

franman

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 09:56:29 PM »

We will start a thread on small diffuse rooms shortly.. Keep your eyes peeled and we'll get on it!!
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Sin x/x

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 01:39:51 PM »

Can't wait.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.