R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos of panels I'm making....  (Read 3335 times)

Skullsessions

Photos of panels I'm making....
« on: November 09, 2006, 03:45:37 PM »

Hey guys!  First time in this particular forum.

I'm lucky enough to have a router at my day-job and we can cut 3D stuff with it, so I've been begging the guy back there to do some tests for me.  These are some photos of the things we've been playing with.

Prototype Matl:  1 inch (25 mm) MDF board
The CD is there just as a size reference.
Max size of the "dunes" or "waves" is just less than 1 inch (25 mm).  We could go as deep as 3 inches if we had the right material.

I'd love to have feedback from you guys.  I'm thinking of making 2 ft. X 2 ft. panels of this and using temporary mountings (ceiling and/or walls) so that they can be moved around the room or completely removed as needed.  Any merit to this?

Thanks!
index.php/fa/3696/0/
James Hook
Houston, TX

Skullsessions

Re: Photos of panels I'm making....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 03:47:21 PM »

index.php/fa/3697/0/
James Hook
Houston, TX

Skullsessions

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:48:34 PM »

index.php/fa/3698/0/
James Hook
Houston, TX

Skullsessions

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 03:49:47 PM »

index.php/fa/3699/0/
James Hook
Houston, TX

franman

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 12:28:01 AM »

Your waves panels look like they will provide some diffusion but only at high frequencies... Once again, we are dealing with 1/4 wavelength limitations... So, 3" deep panels will really only be effective so only effective at 10-15K.... If this is what you are looking for, you are on a valid path.. If you want to effect frequencies in the midrange you have to deal with some deeper convolutions.

These devices would be good as "flutter killers" but not for much more in my opinion...
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

thestudio

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 12:20:17 PM »

Why do you suggest Omni Diffusors for the back wall of a smaller control room if the depth is only 4"?

franman

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 11:24:23 PM »

.. because in small rooms, where you can't get far enough away from the rear wall to get beyond the Haas Effect with the diffuse return, then I opt for the 2 Dimensional diffusors like the Omnifussors... They have a little more "attentuation" because the sound is distributed into a hemisphere instead of an arc (like they are with a 1D diffusor) so the diffuse affect is slightly less pronounced.. it's worked for us (empirically) in smaller rooms. make sense???
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

thestudio

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 08:26:27 AM »

I'm having problem at 150Hz - 350Hz, room is 18w x 13.5d x 8h, going to be installing large bass trap in the two rear corners but debating between Omni or one dimensional diffusor focus in that range in the rear center  Very Happy  Also, since there's 2' off the back wall because of the bass traps which are 24"deep x 84" high x 58 wide the rear center of the room can either utilize the depth by a one dimensional diffusor or a Omni which is 4"deep making the remaining space behind a bass trap. Can the second option work with an Omni design or a one dimensional diffusor  centered around 200Hz work?  Shocked

franman

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 11:29:01 AM »

I would suggest the 2D diffusions with the distances you list... Look, you can try your dune panels... it's just that there is more to diffusion than random peaks and valleys... of course your panel is more diffuse than a flat panel, but there is some math involved in the design of these devices. The QRD formulas are in the public domain and anybody is free use these to design diffusors... we often design LARGE diffusors that are easier for a contractor to build than to buy from RPG.... having said all this, some level of 2D diffusion is probably a good idea...
1. Try your panels
2. If you can't hear the difference, but 6-8 RFRG Omnifussors (least expensive)...
3. If you can't hear the difference with these, than return em and "who cares"!!

(sorry, it's been a tuff week.. I'm a little extra cynical today!)
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 17 queries.