R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using Soundblade?  (Read 22142 times)

Jerry Tubb

Re: Anyone using Soundblade?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 11:36:25 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 10:24

Had an unending load of problems trying to run it on M Audio Firewire 410 interface, so gave up on that and bought a Digi mBox 2 Pro. So far so good. The software interface is pretty slick too. Running nice on an iMac G5 PPC.

Sounds like CoreAudio issues with the M Audio box?

The Digi mBox 2 Pro, is that the new one with the Word Clock i/o?

Good to hear Sonic is moving right a long with sB stability.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Bob Boyd

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 12:44:42 PM »

I would recommend investigating Metric Halo or Sonic hardware options when considering hardware for soundBlade.  Sonic is basing their hardware on Metric Halo interfaces.  The MH hardware quality over run-of-the-mill Firewire/USB interface is evident from the time you get it out of the box. I currently only have the ULN-2 (without DSP) but I have the option to add the DSP and reflash the the ULN-2 to run as a Sonic 302 in the future should I choose to do so.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 11:31:50 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 09:36

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 10:24

Had an unending load of problems trying to run it on M Audio Firewire 410 interface, so gave up on that and bought a Digi mBox 2 Pro. So far so good. The software interface is pretty slick too. Running nice on an iMac G5 PPC.

Sounds like CoreAudio issues with the M Audio box?

The Digi mBox 2 Pro, is that the new one with the Word Clock i/o?

Good to hear Sonic is moving right a long with sB stability.

JT

Yes, I think the CoreAudio firmware for M-Audio and Sonic were not playing well together. Hours on the phone and internet finding the drivers. Oliver at SS was very helpfull. I think he may have called M-Audio and talked to them, because a firmware upgrade appeared the next day. Still wouldn't work though. Sonic would just not lock to it. I just had to give up because a few projects had deadlines.

The Digi mBox 2 Pro does have external WC I/O but I haven't had time to try it. I've been running it with the S/PDIF input as clock source. My friend, who's way more into clock claims it sounds better than Internal, but I haven't made any null tests or anything to prove it to myself.

SS is working well but occasionally will quit suddenly, never more than once or twice  a day and never during a take...yet. Anyone else having this?

Bob Boyd wrote on Wed, 24 January 2007 10:44

I would recommend investigating Metric Halo or Sonic hardware options when considering hardware for soundBlade.  Sonic is basing their hardware on Metric Halo interfaces.  The MH hardware quality over run-of-the-mill Firewire/USB interface is evident from the time you get it out of the box. I currently only have the ULN-2 (without DSP) but I have the option to add the DSP and reflash the the ULN-2 to run as a Sonic 302 in the future should I choose to do so.

What I don't like about the Digi mBox 2 Pro is that it doesn't have AES/EBU Dig. I/O. The one "pro" feature they left out of it. So running between devices gets a little tricky. Good that you can, for instance, go into an L2 with S/PDIF and out with AES/EBU. Thats the nice thing about the 302, AES/EBU I/O. Perhaps I will upgrade to that at some point, but I don't need to drop the extra dough on mic pre's and the AD/DA converters. And the new Dig I/O only interface is 8 Channel and $3000!

The Upgrade Wheel Of Infinity.

bab

Barry Hufker

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 12:12:44 PM »

I don't record with SoundBlade but it does quit from time to time without reason.  I use it, but am still getting used to it.

Barry

Bob Boyd

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 10:31

Thats the nice thing about the 302, AES/EBU I/O. Perhaps I will upgrade to that at some point, but I don't need to drop the extra dough on mic pre's and the AD/DA converters. And the new Dig I/O only interface is 8 Channel and $3000!

The Upgrade Wheel Of Infinity.

bab

No doubt.

The lack of AES on seemingly every other interface I looked into is what led me to the MH ULN-2 (Sonic 302 minus the additional DSP).  The addition of hardware inserts in sB will be a great thing.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

Reuben Ghose

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 02:23:40 PM »

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.sonicstudio.com/pdf/pr/8ChanPlus304Ships.pdf

The eight channel option is exactly what I was waiting for.  Can't really edit stems otherwise.  

However, with a combined price of $2390, it seems pretty expensive when Sequoia is $3000 with (virtually) unlimited tracks.  Also, I believe Pyramix native is cheaper.  

I'm a hardcore mac user though and would prefer to stay that way.  Do those of you who are currently using Soundblade believe it's worth the price?

Thanks!
Reuben

Dave Davis

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 03:00:14 PM »

I love soundBlade, but you're prolly gonna have to keep waiting.  Just because they have an 8 channel interface, doesn't mean the app is 8 channel yet (not over here anyway!).  So, almost...

On the other hand, the hardware is absolutely amazing.  The best interface I've ever used, period.  Mine's custom from MH with a few goodies, but the same guts as Sonics.  The DACs are jaw droppers: its as if a whole new octave has been discovered on the bottom.  I've never heard bass so accurate, rich and clear in my life, and the top is effortlessly smooth.  

I no longer use my PT interfeces for anything but getting in/out of PT, and we'll be replacing the HDIO ADs and DAs in our A room with a couple of these things as soon as possible, because they just smoke the Digi interfaces (which don't suck at all).  It's like having all the benefits of DSD with none of the bs.  I highly recommend you try them out... they're miles ahead of old Sonic Solutions hardware (which was well built, but over-priced and under-performing) sonically and functionally.

-d-

Bob Boyd

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 03:27:06 PM »

I keep hearing the new 8 channel box conversion sounds great.  Hope to hear them at some point.  Are these different from the Metric Halo 2882?
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

Dave Davis

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 03:55:39 PM »

Completely different.  New chipsets for converters, dsp and analog.  I have a 2882, and the difference in quality was akin to the leap from the old 888/24 to the new HDIO3s in the PT world (keep in mind the 2882 sounds waaaaay better than the 888 ever did!).  More than one letter-grade better.

-d-

Reuben Ghose

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2007, 04:12:54 PM »

hmmm . . . are you sure?  The last paragraph of the press release talks about "the eight channel option" that can be used with any core audio interface.  It says it's a native 8 channel, 16 track engine.

Unless I'm reading something wrong here . . .

Great to hear that the hardware is top notch!  Can't afford it at the moment but it's definitely in the plans.

Reuben

Dave Davis wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 13:00

I love soundBlade, but you're prolly gonna have to keep waiting.  Just because they have an 8 channel interface, doesn't mean the app is 8 channel yet (not over here anyway!).  So, almost...

On the other hand, the hardware is absolutely amazing.  The best interface I've ever used, period.  Mine's custom from MH with a few goodies, but the same guts as Sonics.  The DACs are jaw droppers: its as if a whole new octave has been discovered on the bottom.  I've never heard bass so accurate, rich and clear in my life, and the top is effortlessly smooth.  

I no longer use my PT interfeces for anything but getting in/out of PT, and we'll be replacing the HDIO ADs and DAs in our A room with a couple of these things as soon as possible, because they just smoke the Digi interfaces (which don't suck at all).  It's like having all the benefits of DSD with none of the bs.  I highly recommend you try them out... they're miles ahead of old Sonic Solutions hardware (which was well built, but over-priced and under-performing) sonically and functionally.

-d-

Dave Davis

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2007, 09:41:41 AM »

I'm not certain, but I read that as well, but I've seen no such functionality yet.  Then again I haven't asked for it, so maybe I'm out of the loop.  Maybe Omas can make an appearance here and set us straight?

Or another sB/304 user who has an 8 channel rev? Wink

-d-

Sonovo

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »

I recently tried a 304.

First impressions? WOW!  Cool

I'm currently looking into the routing, DSP and I/O, and will have it running against the Mytek 8x192 and CraneSong HEDD-192 shortly for sonic evaluation (AD/DA). Still, it's already making me smile and I've hardly unpacked it...

Can't help you with the 8 channel version of soundBlade though...

Cheers,
Thor
--
Sonovo mastering
www.sonovo.no

Reuben Ghose wrote on Thu, 25 January 2007 16:23

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.sonicstudio.com/pdf/pr/8ChanPlus304Ships.pdf

The eight channel option is exactly what I was waiting for.  Can't really edit stems otherwise.  

However, with a combined price of $2390, it seems pretty expensive when Sequoia is $3000 with (virtually) unlimited tracks.  Also, I believe Pyramix native is cheaper.  

I'm a hardcore mac user though and would prefer to stay that way.  Do those of you who are currently using Soundblade believe it's worth the price?

Thanks!
Reuben

feedback

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2007, 11:47:56 PM »

it's 8 channel . . . 16 track

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2007, 01:07:43 PM »

SB doesn't seem to work with external WC and my mBox 2 Pro. Anyone got any quick ideas? I haven't done much research on it as I just went to work with S/PDIF I/O.

As its Sunday, the folks at Sonic Studio are probably not taking support calls. I'll have a little more time to rattle their cage on Monday.

bab

Matt_G

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Fri, 26 January 2007 05:20

The addition of hardware inserts in sB will be a great thing.

Bob where did you hear about this? Do you mean hardware inserts through the hardware & software mixer like in Pro Tools?

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 16 queries.