R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using Soundblade?  (Read 22127 times)

Jerry Tubb

Re: Anyone using Soundblade?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 11:33:15 AM »

Another Question - What was all the Hoopla a few years ago about the AudioCube DAW?

Does ~anyone~ actually use AudioCube these days (Bernie)?

Wasn't it suposed to be the big replacement for Sonic Solutions a few years back?

Did it die on the vine, another expensive closed architecture DAW.

Not interested in using it, just curious.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Dave Davis

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

The 'Cube was Wavelab on steroids, via dedicated outboard hardware for DSP and I/O.  This concept has become the norm, but proprietary outboard is a failing model (people don't have the need or bus bandwidth to support all the competing proprietary dsp boxes at the same time on the same system, so it's shaking out).

The 'Cube remains a solid contender, especially in plants where it's analysis tools are quite useful and far more powerful than those Plextor sells, and it's restoration suite is unique and powerful too.  So it has it's markets.

It never caught on in mastering, because those attracted to it's software (Wavelab) often prefer other plugs and dsp processors, even though the VPIs (their term for hardware powered plugs) are far more powerful and much better sounding than the typical DirectX or VST implementation - for one thing, the boundaries aren't chopped to 32 bit for hand-offs, for another the system was optimized for quality over track counts.  The benefits were apparently too small to justify the price tag, esp with all the plug-racks available from Waves, TC, UAD et al.  Folks just bought wavelab and rolled their own DSP.  I'm sure the resurgence of SS LLC and the availability of Sequioa didn't help matters either.  Sequioa is a much easier jump for "old" Sonic, and even Sadie users, than Wavelab is, so it became a very natural move for those demanding a true mastering DAW.

-d-

djwaudio

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 01:42:03 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Mon, 20 November 2006 08:33

Another Question -
Does ~anyone~ actually use AudioCube these days (Bernie)?
Wasn't it suposed to be the big replacement for Sonic Solutions a few years back?
Did it die on the vine, another expensive closed architecture DAW.

JT

We had the Cube in for evaluation recently. I wont write a full review here, but I did find that their DSP is excellent. For the first time, I could listen to plug-ins without wondering why the audio is getting so chewed up. You can chain several processors together with very little sonic penalty with the Cube. Their analog EQ plug sounded great to me, as did the multi-band comp (which I normally shun). The dithering program frightened me a bit, interface-wise, but seemed viable.

The reasons we haven't jumped on the system is just that. The interface is just not my bag. Fiddling with the computer to get sound is not where it's at for me, and especially our other engineer. The main problem is, there are so many controls packed into a small area. I suppose a giant monitor would help... but there are all those great EQs in the rack already...

In the end we are still using SADiEs (after10 years!) and analog outboard.

The cost of the Cube systems are reasonable and the service from the company is excellent. For engineers who are in the box already and want to step up to high-end  processing, the Cube is really worth serious consideration.

I hope the company is doing well with the Cube, as in my mind, they are a good high-end solution and setting an example as to how to manage plug-in fidelity.

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Barry Hufker

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »

As you may know, initially I was very unhappy with soundBlade.

The releases have gotten steadily better in quality and usefulness.

In the past two weeks I had a client contact me about improving the quality of a recording.  Knowing this wouldn't be the only time, I purchased ReNOVAtor from Sonic Studio.  The folks at Sonic could not have been more helpful.  They made sure I had a version of the sB that does support ReNOVAtor.  This was a special effort they made for me.

Learning I would also need DeNoise for this project, the folks at Sonic then went to extra trouble (on Thanksgiving) to make sure I have a version of sB that supports DeNoise when I need it for tomorrow's (Saturday's) session.

Having made an effort in the past to give just (fair) criticism, I must also make the same or better effort to give just praise.  I am nothing less than stunned by the level of service I have received from Sonic Studio -- and my dealer Spunky Brunone of Audio Dawg.  These folks have done more than they ever had to or needed to so I would have the tools I need and have them in time.

That to me is not only service, but excellent service.  I am grateful to them both.  If this is the kind of effort they'll make for their customers, then I am happy to be an sB owner.

Barry

mastermind

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 01:29:11 AM »

Dave Davis wrote on Mon, 20 November 2006 10:48

The 'Cube was Wavelab on steroids, via dedicated outboard hardware for DSP and I/O.  

Actually as I recall from the 'Cube I used at my former employ, the I/O was a standard RME card (although I know they went to something else in later versions).. the the only hardware the DSP used was the little secret dongle inside the box that the custom VPI's looked at when they launched... but for actual operation I think it was all host-based DSP.

I will say though, the 'Cube VPI's are very nice.....

t
trevor sadler

zenmastering

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 06:43:54 AM »

As Trevor said, the earlier 'Cubes used a standard RME card and all processing was host-based (It was WaveLab, with mucho-fantastico plug-ins.)

Later versions used Merging Technologies'  Mykerinos card.

I agree about the quality of the plug-ins...the 'analogue' EQ in particular.

Graemme
Zen Mastering
Vancouver, Canada
+1.604.874.9096
info AT zenmastering DOT net

"Man is the only animal that blushes -- or needs to."
- Mark Twain

Barry Hufker

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 05:24:39 PM »

An update:

Today I received an email from Sonic Studio.  It gave the link to v.1.1 of the program.  Additionally there is a free download of Izotrope's Vive audio restoration program.

I must admit Sonic Studio is working hard to improve soundBlade.  I appreciate that effort. The program has gained solidity and features.

With this latest development and a clear conscience I can now recommend soundBlade.

Barry

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 05:34:46 PM »

Hi Barry,

Once a Mercedes, always a Mercedes. Once a Sonic, always a Sonic.

I am still using the old Sonic Studio 5.4.beta10. I think Soundblade is what I would choose today.

Erik Sikkema
Schallfeldwebel
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Barry Hufker

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 05:55:19 PM »

Hi Erik!

I agree, once a Mercedes always a Mercedes...

but I was convinced when soundBlade first came out it was a Yugo.

Obviously with the improvements I have since changed my mind.  It is probably now a Mercedes.

Barry

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 03:37:47 AM »

Just purchased SB, with manual de-click. For indie rock mastering, bread and butter for me, manual dc is pretty usefull. Helps to fix a funky edit or whatever little snix and snax clients dont hear at 5 am when doing final bounces. Haven't exactly done a project on it as the iMac it was on suddenly choked and is in the shop. Soon though.

Barry, have you used the No-Noise yet? Is it as good as Classic?  Was talking to a Pyramix user the other day who claimed he still prefers the SS NN in Classic.

I also got excellent support and live phone hand holding. I'm optimistic I didn't waste $2K.  

bab

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »

Barry, now you are using SB, can you advice me a bit, since the Sonic website is not that clear, if I choose for a native SB system, and not use an expensive Sonic breakoutbox, are there any cards from Mac that I can come in 4 channels AES-SPDif of Tos-link into the Mac?

Or would you advice using the Sonic interface?

Erik Sikkema
Schallfeldwebel

Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

David Glasser

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »

You can use any soundcard or firewire device that is Core Audio compliant - you can even use ProTools hardware if you want. I plan on using a Lynx AES-16 card until the Sonic AES-only box becomes available. Will be making the ugrade to sB sometime early in the new year.
David Glasser
Airshow Mastering
Boulder, CO

dave@airshowmastering.com
www.airshowmastering.com

Barry Hufker

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 02:11:06 AM »

Erik,

I don't transfer audio via SP/DIF or AES.  I transfer it as a file from RADAR to Mac using Transmit, an FTP client.  The transfer is much faster via ethernet and the files are exactly as I recorded them.

I think you could use any card meeting the requirements David describes.  The only hitch I've noticed is that Sonic doesn't seem to control the software for the RME soundcard I have. This means I sometimes have to change the sampling rate using another program.  Once that is done, there is no problem with sB.  But even this may have improved.  I haven't had a chance to check that lately.

BTW, I just use the SP/DIF output of the RME into another D/A.

BAB, I think you waited until the right moment to buy.  I am convinced now you will be happy with sB.  I don't know "Classic" as I am new to sB.  I will say that No Noise and ReNOVAtor have worked well with sB.  I used No Noise to clean up a few tracks.  I was quite pleased by the result.  15 dB of noise removal (hiss) and the track sounds great.

While I hope soon to have access to the free version of Vive, I am quite pleased with what I have as restoration plug-ins, although I still have yet to really get the hang of ReNOVAtor.  I'm sure I'll get there.  But in playing around, I was impressed.

Barry

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 05:26:42 AM »

Thanks David and Barry.

BTW is there any chance when using a Genex with AIFF to insert the drives from the Genex into the Sonic system, and edit the music on the Genex drives without transferring any data?

/E

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »

Have been successfully using SB for the last week or so. Had an unending load of problems trying to run it on M Audio Firewire 410 interface, so gave up on that and bought a Digi mBox 2 Pro. So far so good. The software interface is pretty slick too. Running nice on an iMac G5 PPC.

It has similar commands to the Classic and so has not been too hard to get to know. Support has been especially good too.

bab
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.