R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45   Go Down

Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth  (Read 186928 times)

maxdimario

Re: An Inconvenient Truth
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 05:23:42 PM »

I was reading a 1962 life international magazine, which is interesting because most of the ads were for whisky, airlines, industrial products, cigarettes, watches, cameras, cessnas... all of the gadgets and gizmos that made modern life what it is..

I was actually struck by the ads for motorcars boasting 5 or 6 l/100 Km, compared to my car's 10 or 13 l for 100 KM.

it seems that cars are consuming more and more gas even though we actually have less... why??

the problem is not us directly, it the fact that all of the industries are running at full speed and no one is stopping them or regulating them.

most of the world's economy is geared for short term profit and there is no sense of future... and the people at the top live in a bubble and simply don't give a shit if the world fries..

he who has all the money is always safe and sound.

organica

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2006, 05:24:22 PM »

index.php/fa/3715/0/

to see only one solution is far too much of an over generalization

but to anybody who gets their kicks doing that  ?
knock yourselves out  !!

Ozzy

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 05:26:32 PM »

Very true Max.

That's the problem, economic growth must suffer if we are to address this correctly

el duderino

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 05:27:40 PM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 16:53

Ozzy wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 22:19

Kyoto is a start, something is better than nothing.
It doesn't go far enough true but I'm afraid it already goes too far for the USA.

Kyoto is the biggest joke ever.

I think the comment on N. Korea is really at the core of the issue however.

The point being the control and responsibility aspect of the future of our planet.

There is really no point in solar panels if we are still chopping  each other up wholesale.  So I agree, yes if N. Korea has nukes than nothing else matters.

sure there's a point. If we're chopping each other up then those doing the chopping will have to pay more for energy due to less customers. Very Happy

kyoto is a big joke. while its nice in theory the credits thing pretty much ruins it. I mean if the USA did sign it and then caused as much pollution as normal but covered their asses by buying credits from say namibia or somewhere, how is that decreasing pollutants in the US? its a waste of time.

any of you guys ever see the film "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
another interesting one.

Ozzy

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 06:11:21 PM »

If they ratified they would be financial penalised by paying for credits, if they don't sign they can carry on without any penalty of targets to acheive.

That's why they don't, sign econonmic growth is affected by trying to meet targets and financial penalties are incurred if they are not met.

This is no joke.

I think in the US you're are sold a spin on Kyoto, it's just too glib to call it a joke.

You don't sign because you stand to lose on the deal.

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 07:41:49 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 14:05

I have not yet seen the film, so cannot comment directly on it, but I worry in advance that it is as much politics as fact.   Hopefully that's incorrect.

This is absolutely NOT the case
that is the beauty of this film
as politically charged an individual Al Gore is
He has been involved with the environment for most of his adult life
and
Global Warming is very real and not political
It is the job of the fearful politicians to try and spin the issue as political
that is the big problem
we are brainwashed into believing the trash fed us via the mainstream media because it is the Oil Industry that is afraid of change

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Ali Moniack

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 09:26:31 PM »

Grrrrrr! Rant time approacheth once more...

It's dissappointing to discover that some people would rather wait for a perfect arrangement before lifting a finger or at least agreeing in principle with the idea that everything has to change. This is a selfish hoax which is rooted in complacency.

Even more frustrating is the illogical and frankly twisted notion that we have to disarm (god knows how) certain powers before lifting a finger to save the entire planet. One could just as easily argue that we should disarm America first since it's the only country who has been murderous enough to actually drop nukes on innocent civilians (Hiroshima & Nagasaki). Don't forget Hanover & Dresden too. Better get rid of Britain's weapons before it happens all over again eh? Hooray, war is over, oops, too late, the planets f**ked. Nuclear disarmament is a whole other issue.

America is the worst polluter, China's second, & it's pollution is increasing the fastest. Next comes the whole of Europe and then Japan. All guilty. In all cases, energy production is worst, then cars, then aviation. Rail produces negligible waste.

Renewable energy is a MUST eventually (nothing lasts forever), vehicular transport needs to be MUCH more efficient AND used a whole lot less (excess usage WILL have to be restricted unless we "cull" some people), and forget cheapo flights - whoops, the world got bigger again, get used to it. And let's leave some fossil fuel down there in case we need it later...

The truth is, you can't have it all, but people are greedy so they think of excuses and reasons why someone else should change before they do. Followers, not leaders. Greedy consumers, not responsible thinkers. Individual attitudes and actions are what matters MOST, politicians need PEOPLE to vote for them after all.

Bearing in mind the hypocrisy and ignorance of most, for the sake of all life as well as future generations, I would suggest that people will have to change almost everything about their daily lives or there will have to be a huge drop in the human population (large war, meteor strike etc.). We've already driven so many other spieces to extinction after all...

Ozzy

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 09:48:44 PM »

Good points Ali.

organica

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2006, 10:52:00 PM »

ever heard of STEORN ?
http://www.steorn.net/frontpage/default.aspx

cutting edge on renewable energy technology

Cool

arconaut

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2006, 11:25:39 PM »

I'll post this link again:

http://www.greendisk.com/

This is a great company - they recycle small electronics, wire, printer cartridges, rechargeable batteries and media (DAT, videotape, CD's, DVD's). I know I go through a great deal of CD-R's which end up being garbage a week later, but I dump them all into my "techno-trashcan" and when it's full you just seal it up and it's already postage-paid back to Green Disk.

Noah
You Are Number Six

Die BREMSSPUR

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 02:42:04 AM »

Ali Moniack wrote on Thu, 16 November 2006 03:26

Grrrrrr! Rant time approacheth once more...

It's dissappointing to discover that some people would rather wait for a perfect arrangement before lifting a finger or at least agreeing in principle with the idea that everything has to change. This is a selfish hoax which is rooted in complacency.

Even more frustrating is the illogical and frankly twisted notion that we have to disarm (god knows how) certain powers before lifting a finger to save the entire planet. One could just as easily argue that we should disarm America first since it's the only country who has been murderous enough to actually drop nukes on innocent civilians (Hiroshima & Nagasaki). Don't forget Hanover & Dresden too. Better get rid of Britain's weapons before it happens all over again eh? Hooray, war is over, oops, too late, the planets f**ked. Nuclear disarmament is a whole other issue.

America is the worst polluter, China's second, & it's pollution is increasing the fastest. Next comes the whole of Europe and then Japan. All guilty. In all cases, energy production is worst, then cars, then aviation. Rail produces negligible waste.

Renewable energy is a MUST eventually (nothing lasts forever), vehicular transport needs to be MUCH more efficient AND used a whole lot less (excess usage WILL have to be restricted unless we "cull" some people), and forget cheapo flights - whoops, the world got bigger again, get used to it. And let's leave some fossil fuel down there in case we need it later...

The truth is, you can't have it all, but people are greedy so they think of excuses and reasons why someone else should change before they do. Followers, not leaders. Greedy consumers, not responsible thinkers. Individual attitudes and actions are what matters MOST, politicians need PEOPLE to vote for them after all.

Bearing in mind the hypocrisy and ignorance of most, for the sake of all life as well as future generations, I would suggest that people will have to change almost everything about their daily lives or there will have to be a huge drop in the human population (large war, meteor strike etc.). We've already driven so many other spieces to extinction after all...

Hypocrisy...

Interesting point.

U.S.  worst polluter...

BULLLLLLLSSHITTT!!!!

Says who?

We need to get green.  Global Warming, Clean water, Clean Air.  Something needs to be done....now.  Obviously.

OK real quick on the political angle...US..China worst...LMAO!

They're the worst because someone told you they were the worst.  Just like everything else you're told.  You believe it.

Think land mass.  If I live in Germany I don't want to claim my neighbor's pollution statistically that provide the services and goods that I need for my Western life style.  Then I couldn't point fingers at China.  Are you considering this or just reading it?

Globalization brough....

Think...

I am sitting in Glasgow.  Where were the products in my studio manufactured?  Scotland is greener than China but the people buying behringer live in Scotland.  Plastic, Printer Cartridges, Computer Monitors.....YOU ARE JUST AS GUILTY!  You just don't have manufacturing worth a squirt of piss so you rely on statistics from professors or goofy politicos to make yourself feel better.

Why is Belgium greener than America.  If you go to that country you will see very nice cars rolling down the road.  Tires are manufactured where?  Electrical Power?  Construction materials?

Can you explain where this logic is flawed or do you just want to keep the argument that America is evil and the lads in Scotland are as pure as the driven snow?

In the meantime we have people that are super fukked up.  They want to build nuclear weapons and threaten Tokyo and Israel with total destruction.  Not to mention they could miss and hit Greece (for you anti-semitic types).

As in World War Two, the Cold War and the Global War on Terror humanity and the environment must now wait while we idiots (us) that lack imagination and primitive evil assholes deal with each other's sicknesses.

It's not one or the other, but our advancement as one earth living in peace is directly connected to international trade, freedom and being green.

As long as you struggle against eve-ill you have to struggle on all fronts.  Having a huge navy, economic superiority, rockets, bombs, lot's of audio gear etc....

Hopefully something will change on the order of the fall of the Berlin wall....until then here's hoping.

lemme nough

tik

I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

Die BREMSSPUR

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 02:43:38 AM »

arconaut wrote on Thu, 16 November 2006 05:25

I'll post this link again:

http://www.greendisk.com/

This is a great company - they recycle small electronics, wire, printer cartridges, rechargeable batteries and media (DAT, videotape, CD's, DVD's). I know I go through a great deal of CD-R's which end up being garbage a week later, but I dump them all into my "techno-trashcan" and when it's full you just seal it up and it's already postage-paid back to Green Disk.

Noah

That's awesome, will begin finding a place in Europe...

Thanx!
I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

forgetmeknots

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 03:12:44 AM »

You know, I have to agree that it starts with us as individuals, HOWEVER...we can't change a thing until we get the oil mongers out of the lobbyists pockets.  
That is the reality, I fear....

now sure alot of you have seen alot more than I, but speaking from experience in my darker days in the oilfiled, and witnessing more fuel being burned off into the atmosphere while the well flows, than there is in your local esso, I can say quite confidently that until it stops, we're gonna keep on declining.  

Even when reserves were stocked five years ago, production kept on keeping on....

And member back in the days of the carburator??  Wasn't there that guy, that suddenly dissapeared after he discovered a way to make vehicles ten times more fuel efficient?  

Wanna save the planet??  
Topple the oil barons...

Best,
Justin
Feed Your Head - Listen

John Ivan

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 04:24:57 AM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 16:53

Ozzy wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 22:19

Kyoto is a start, something is better than nothing.
It doesn't go far enough true but I'm afraid it already goes too far for the USA.

Er...

I think Global Warming, China's emission standard, Kyoto, Al Gore is all a huge sham.

It runs counter to common sense, at least IMO.

lemme nough....

tik

Then your not paying attention..

Hi Tik,, :-}
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

sui-city

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2006, 09:40:15 AM »

PookyNMR wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 22:06

Ozzy wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 12:28

7. Sign to Kyoto(well force your goverment too!)

Kyoto is critically flawed.  The idea of trading credits is ridiculous.  We need something better.

My personal view is to lobby governement and industry to invest in researching alternative energy sources (solar, wind, hydro, bio, even nuclear).

Alternative energy sources are not an option at this point. If you have seen another brilliant film called "The End of Suburbia", you would know that the only thing we can do that will have an effect is reduce the amount of energy we consume.

WE CANNOT CONTINUE TO LIVE THE WAY WE HAVE BEEN LIVING.

There is no alternative energy source that will not take 50-100 years to achieve a maturity that can match that of our consumption of oil.

Kyoto is the only idea there is right now that has gathered enough steam. What a lot of countries hate about it is its effect on their respective economies. But if you truly way everything up, economies are going to be the least of our worries.

I am personally looking into powering my studio with solar panels. Not sure if it is feasible. (Anyone?)

Plus i am moving closer to my studio.

Anybody read the latest "Biological Footprint" info?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.