R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: another one on mic cabling...  (Read 2281 times)

carlos del valle

another one on mic cabling...
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:47:04 AM »

Hi again.

I found this mic on a street market this weekend. It was part of an old reporter tape recorder, and the connector had two mini jacks, so i guess i have to change it. The wiring is black (cold), red (hot, i guess) and a white wire wich comes shielded. Now, i don't know if this white wire is grounding because is the first time i see a ground shielded like this (my experience is not what one would call huge, tho).

So, how do I do this. Pin 2 red, pin 3 black, and pin 1 the white shielded wire?

Thanks again.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/carlitosno/cables.jpg

carlos del valle

Re: another one on mic cabling...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 07:50:49 AM »

this is the actual mic.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/carlitosno/mic.jpg

Harland

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:15:42 PM »

I think one of those jacks is for remote control, so it's possible that it's not even a balanced connection. You might have to look inside the mic itself and take it from there.
Harland

mwurfl

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 09:03:22 PM »

That mic (a dynamic, I think?) is one that was supplied with the better quality model Sony mono portable cassette deck of about the mid '70s.  The small diameter plug of the connector is indeed for the "remote" function, which merely allowed you to use the switch on the mic to turn the cassette deck's motor on and off (when you were thinking what to say next, or waiting for someone else to speak, for example).  The mic's connector, the larger diameter one, is unbalanced.

I would just use an ohmmeter or continuity tester to figure out which pair of wires, on the cut-off connector, goes to the small diameter plug (and/or the larger one too, actually).  Then you can match the wire to the one(s) coming out of the mic and know which is which.

I remember using that mic with its cassette deck, and it was pretty good for what it was.  It would be interesting to hear what it was like into a real recording machine!

Cheers,

Mark W
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts."

-- Albert Einstein

carlos del valle

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 07:10:58 AM »

ok, I opened the mic and the red and black wires are connected to the switch, and the white screened to the mic itself. Now, to connect it to a XLR, it's the white to pin 2 and the screen to pin 1 and that's it?

mwurfl

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »

Yes that's right, except that depending on the input circuit configuration of your preamp, you might, or likely will, need to also tie pins 1 and 3 together on the XLR.  (You would definitly need to do this if the preamp has a true transformer input, for example.)

Mark
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts."

-- Albert Einstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 16 queries.