R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors That Calibrate Themselves to your Room?  (Read 6877 times)

wwittman

Re: Monitors That Calibrate Themselves to your Room?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 08:14:15 PM »

well, I'm not building a studio anytime soon!

but I'd love to hear them..

are they happy working in the 100-110 range?

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

franman

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 12:08:57 AM »

Our three way systems are happy in those ranges... I have a G1.5 (15") and a G1 system (18") in the office.... we can also head out to Barber Shop  for a morning sometime.. Let me know if you're serious... we can arrange something pretty easy...
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Consul

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 11:42:28 AM »

That looks like a pair of Seas Excel drivers in those Griffins. Wink

As for me, I can't hope to afford really hot monitoring, so I'm stuck either getting something used but decent, or trying to design my own system. I've been exploring the second option lately. If you want to know what I have in mind, I'll see if I can outline it.

Part of my problem is the small room size I'm stuck with.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

franman

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 08:24:41 PM »

Yep.. we love the Seas Excel driver. Great sounding component... as far as power handling, however, it is the weak link in all of our systems.... Woofers and tweeters will provide higher SPL than the two Excels but that the price for using the "best" drivers we can find sometimes...
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Consul

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 12:07:13 PM »

I'm taking a serious look at the 7" Excels in my own monitoring situation. I'm thinking MTM in a sealed box with a Qtc around .8 or so. At least, that's what I got out of Vance Dickason's book concerning what I want. I still need to investigate. It's going to be a big box. I haven't selected a tweeter yet.

I'm also seriously considering building a computer just to act as a DSP-based crossover system. It would make the system very flexible, and as an IT guy, it's within my comfort zone.  Wink  I have a small room, which I plan to treat quite liberally, so I intend to avoid all of that "digital room correction" stuff that comes along with computer-based crossovers.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.  Embarassed
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

franman

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 07:58:53 PM »

it's all good Darren.. start a new thread for us when you get your project underway.. okay?... using the PC for a crossover is a great idea... Lars does it with Sound Easy for a lot of our development and experiments in the office...
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Consul

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 08:34:35 PM »

Thanks! I might even start that thread in the next few days, depending on where I end up by then. I know I won't be able to start building until the spring, but I'm determined to have a plan drawn out by then.
Darren Landrum

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.