R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a market for a new 2" multitrack?  (Read 7510 times)

Mike O

Re: Is there a market for a new 2" multitrack?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 09:07:26 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Fri, 07 November 2008 17:19

No.

The younger generation is totally computer oriented.

There are plenty of used ones to fill the demand. Plenty of unsold new ones too.

That demand will drop over time as the tape based generation dies off. It really comes down to this question:

Got tape? That's the biggest obstacle besides demand. From what I've heard lately, that's a recurring problem.

I thought Studer sold the last new one about a year ago. One of those sold on ebay a few weeks ago. Are you saying there are still new unsold 2" machines now?

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »

The fact is that all of the used machines more than satisfy the current demand.  You can get a good/great mahine for 2k-5k  you really could buy 1 and 4 spares with spares cheaper than a new machine. plus a proven deck is a known quantity..  fwiw I still use them.

Brian Kehew

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Sun, 09 November 2008 13:16

The fact is that all of the used machines more than satisfy the current demand.  You can get a good/great mahine for 2k-5k  you really could buy 1 and 4 spares with spares cheaper than a new machine. plus a proven deck is a known quantity..  fwiw I still use them.

Exactly. I just bought a SPARE 1" 8-track - that's a machine nobody else ever uses. Except maybe ToeRag Studio...
Relax and float downstream...

sodderboy

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 09:18:24 PM »

Just keep pushing RECORD, brutha!  I am mother hen to some 16 odd machines around my world, and I do not keep them running for me, but for their owners.  Luckily I do not have to make brake bands out of tin cans yet. . .  
Can we say that for any "Sound Tools" owners?  Where are they with their bleeding edge 125 MB SCSI external drives and such!
I am still waiting for some szechuan tape!
Mike

Stephen Anderson

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 03:50:54 AM »

Actually, I have 2 clients, one really well know, one up-and-coming, who both regularly use 1" 8tk as a major part of their r4ecording.  The 1st has an A800 8 tk, the 2nd has a 440C 8 tk.

Stephen Anderson

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 03:54:37 AM »

Oddly, or sadly, I got connected with the guy who was importing the ACES stuff into L.A. in the mid-'80s, English fellow named Paul something, lived up in Laurel Cyn.

So I worked on several of those horrid, well-intentioned machines.

Last one I saw was '86, glad to see it go away.  The main design engineer in England was a nice guy, just built a machine that couldn't be kept running.  

RMoore

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »

Brian Kehew wrote on Tue, 11 November 2008 23:30

Exactly. I just bought a SPARE 1" 8-track - that's a machine nobody else ever uses. Except maybe ToeRag Studio...

I use a 1" 8 track - was the main workhorse for me for ages,,for the last few years have been running DAW stems & mixing from the 8 track..

I seem to recall there being a hype on 8 tracks a few years ago for archiving DAW stems & there was even a new 8 trk machine (?)..

Anyone know how much the NOS Studer went for?

A friend of mine in the UK who has been in the game since the 70's as studio owner/producer told me when he started out, a professional 24 track machine cost the same as an average house in London.. needless to say, he has amassed with evident satisfaction, quite the collection of fine 24 track machines at current low prices...  

Considering how much it'd cost to make a new machine vs what you can pick up a vintage machine for nowadays - representing the pinnacle of achievement of decades of analog recording technology - Studer, Ampex et al, it doesn't seem likely to me there'd be a market for a new 2" multitrack..

People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Hank Alrich

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »

Brian Kehew wrote on Tue, 11 November 2008 14:30

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Sun, 09 November 2008 13:16

Back in May I sold my A80-VUT 1" for $800 and the opportunity to use it for tranfers sans fee. That was the only firm offer I received over a period of months.

Mike O

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »

RMoore wrote on Sun, 16 November 2008 12:18

Anyone know how much the NOS Studer went for?

If you are talking about the A827 the listing expired with a bid of around 15K. The seller posted his sales receipt of about $20K. A set of new 16 track heads were listed by what appeared to be a different seller during the same week at 16K 'buy it now' if I recall. Both dissappeared and were not relisted. This was just before AES. I'm not sure where, but somewhere on the net I was reading that a presenter at AES was talking about buying a new Studer just before the show.

A couple of years ago there was talk in the old John Klett forum here of the last new A827s were going for $13.5K.  

zmix

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »

SO....

The question of the moment seems to be:

"Is there even a market for a - used -  2" multitrack?

thedoc

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »

That is a good and valid question.  For myself, I have been thinking of picking up an MM1200.  I just wish they didn't weigh 450lbs...
Doc
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 18 queries.