R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nearfields in a non environment room?  (Read 2023 times)

Toby M

Nearfields in a non environment room?
« on: November 07, 2006, 04:39:29 AM »

In a Non environment Hidley room the main design parameters are hard front wall and everything else but floor heavily damped with basshangers etc.

Any thoughts on using nearfields in such a room. I.E. a few meters from a hard front wall? I have to admit being a bit confused when it comes to this!

Best regards /Toby
www.cascatoma.com
Smiles can be heard !

franman

Re: Nearfields in a non environment room?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:55:43 PM »

There's always a comprimise using near fields in a room designed around main in-wall monitor. The early reflections off the side wall MAY be covered well.. We always try to cover the early reflections from not only the main monitors but near fields on meter bridges, etc., as well. Sometimes, side windows that are out of the reflection zone for the mains, will become large significant reflections for near field monitors.

Other than that, the diffraction around the near field monitors will "come back" off the front wall. There's not much to do about this. It's part of the comprimise. If the front window is angled down, some of this will bounce back down into the back of the console, but there's no doubt you will hear a difference if you hang a heavy packing blanket over the center front wall while listening to your near fields in most properly designed front wall systems.... oh well... we live in a world full of comprimise. Sometimes I think my job description is making "throughful and educated comprimises".. and that's how I advise our clients.
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

rankus

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 02:49:11 PM »

In boat design (one of my former hats)  we have a saying "a boat is only as good as the sum of it's compromises" ... looks like it applies here as well... feel free to borrow.

Cheers

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

franman

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:40:42 PM »

I think "a studio is only as good as the sum of it's comprimises" might work very well... thanks!
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

rankus

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 09:04:41 PM »

Cool
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.