R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I went to Los Angeles to make a record.  (Read 47213 times)

John Ivan

Re: I went to Los Angeles to make a record.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 05:42:00 AM »

Oh Boy, now I'll be checking back for the rest of this story! can't wait.

Did you help move the Piane'? You could have just had him play that, instead of Guitar..

Ivan..............................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Barish

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 07:06:52 AM »

If I were you, I'd have taken that free meal offer.

Why is it that when we achieve something great it is "us" who made it but when something bad happens to us it is "God" must have caused it?

You don't believe that God exists in any other time, then why the hell are you wanting to look for Him when your father is dying?

You know you can't even help your father in that situation, you are so helpless, but you think you can beat God's ass for doing something you can't turn back. Don't you see that if God exists, He can do the same to you as well and there's bugger all you can do against it? And raging against it won't make things better for you either?

My late father went through the same. Stomach cancer. Every single cell in his body died one by one before my eyes through 7 months period. And eventually there was no other cell left to die, so he himself died.

But he was a believer, he never raged against the Creator he believed existed and created him until he lost his conscience a few hours before he surrendered his last breath, and he saw it a par for the course. So did we. And he (and we) thought it was better to pay for our mistakes in this world before the last exit than later, if that accounted for them at all.

Well there you go, another point of view for you that might help ease your pain. Take it on board or not. As valuable to one as good recording advice that you are giving to us. It makes life more liveable and meaningful, trust me. Puts what-good-and-bad-are concept into a more acceptable perspective.

Or at least it wouldn't hold you back from having a free meal.

Anyway, enough counterpreaching. I have sympathy for your dad for what he went through, but not for how you felt about it.

But your recording story is interesting, so I'd like to hear more of that.

So, you moved the piano...?

B.
M Ozturk

steve p

• Real Full Name: Steve Perkins
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 04:12:37 AM »

Quote:

So. We moved the piano...

And ...... Shocked  What did you find.....

???????

steve perkins

Steve Perkins

Creation Recording Studios

JOHN 3:16

neve1073

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 05:31:28 AM »

dear mr albini,
after you moved the piano, did you get to making the record?

best,

ps: condolences
=============================
Let's be discrete.

dave-G

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2006, 08:42:37 AM »

Barish wrote on Wed, 22 November 2006 07:06

I have sympathy for your dad for what he went through, but not for how you felt about it.

You know, Mahcem ...  

I don't know Steve, and I barely ever read this forum, but I respect anyone who's suffered a loss like his enough to not question or criticize the way they felt about it.

I'd say that given your beliefs, you now have one more thing to "pay for in this world"...

... you speciously righteous schmuck.

-dave
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

malice

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2006, 09:38:16 AM »

dave-G wrote on Fri, 24 November 2006 14:42

I'd say that given your beliefs, you now have one more thing to "pay for in this world"...

hmmm,

I'm back in five minutes, I'm at the store grabbing a six pack and some vinegar chips  Rolling Eyes

so, you move the piano Aaaaaaaaaand ...

malice

Barish

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2006, 10:45:45 AM »

dave-G wrote on Fri, 24 November 2006 13:42

You know, Mahcem ...  

I don't know Steve, and I barely ever read this forum, but I respect anyone who's suffered a loss like his enough to not question or criticize the way they felt about it.

-dave

You are absolutely right.

I'm sorry.

I should have kept playing "awww Steve... you know... my heart cried when I read how you felt about what happened... death is very bad, you know... my deepest condolences... so... you moved the piano?" game as many other choose to do.

But not going with the flow makes me right, but in the meantime a shmuck.

Fine. So be it. I'll stand up and take it in the chin.

If you can't say what is right, what good is a discussion?

And what good is a friendship if one can not stand up and tell what is right and what is wrong even during the hardest time?

Remember, I felt every single pain that Steve has felt throughout that journey. Every. Single. One of it. Not one more, not one less.

From cleaning my father's backside as he was lying in bed unable to move, to watching on the screen the tumours mushrooming in his lenf tissues by an inch every fortnight like cauliflowers while he couldn't lie down and he couldn't sit up, he couldn't stand up and he couldn't kneel down, because the pain he was going through was too much to take and no painkiller was strong enough to cut it.

I don't know if you have lost any of your parents yet, but I can tell you, no amount of condolence eases any of the feeling the survivor goes through during that time... let alone what the dead-to-be goes through.

In fact, none of the stuff  they tell you, all those taps on the shoulders, cards, flowers... none of them means anything when you are going through that phase as the survivor.

You are alone, on your own. Feeling totally helpless. That is the moment when reality hits you.

There is more lesson to learn in life and death than recording an album in a famous Hollywood studio.

...as far as I'm concerned. If we are going to touch that subject in any part of the discussion.

And if we are going to credit God for all the bad things that are happening to us, let's credit Him for the good things that happen to us as well once in a while, eh?

May be death is not as bad as we think after all.

But I guess, not to stick to what is right at all times is another lesson to learn for me out of this.

Being pretentiously caring and nice guy, or being righteously caring and a schmuck.

Everyone else's mileage may vary.

If what I owe Steve for telling him what he needs to hear than what he's accustomed to hear (or even to tell others in similar instances) if that helps him have a better life, then I'd be more than happy to pay it and make my contribution.

But I tell you, this life is nothing, hereafter is better. For those who can see that far, of course.

Or whatever... may be there's no such thing as God. We all mushroom like plants and animals, and get eaten by some microorganisms like animals, and die. Shit happens. What are we getting so sad about? Think about the good times we rolled and move on. Every breath we take is a bonus after all.

But then again, may be I'm in the wrong forum. It's all about preferences, isn't it?

Sorry again.

"Aww Steve, I was brokenhearted when I heard how you felt about what happened to your father. I hope you get hold of that God who did all that to him one day...

So, anyway... You moved the piano and then?"

M.
M Ozturk

MB

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2006, 03:16:30 PM »

Barish, before you make yourself look like any more of an asshole:

1. Steve Albini is an atheist
2. He quite clearly said "If God existed"
3. Look up the terms allegory and metaphor
4. Before you pile on it's probably a good policy to make sure that you have clearly understood the intending meaning rather that a supposed literal reading that actually wasn't there either. Doubly so when someone's talking about their father's horrible death to a bunch of strangers on the interweb for fuck's sake. I.e. pick your moments man.

Barish

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2006, 05:29:36 PM »

I'm aware of all your notes from the beginning, Matt, but I can see your point.

Though I still think that he is wrong in his metaphoric expressions which don't actually do his late father's memory any favours from any point of view -hence the following condolences that inevitably fall short in sincerity- I apologise to Mr Albini for my oversensitivity that outburst in an offensive manner.

You are right, it's his father so why do I care. May be I got carried away with allegory and metaphor while thinking of my own father too.

Sorry again.

M.
M Ozturk

danickstr

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »

Steve get back to the reminiscences about screwing your girlfriends with candles burning Twisted Evil
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

maxim

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2006, 11:12:25 PM »

mahcem wrote:

" ...And he (and we) thought it was better to pay for our mistakes in this world before the last exit than later"

i think your father was wiser that you

if you choose to believe, don't take it upon yourself to throw stones at those who don't

i, too, went through this experience with my father who died from prostate cancer, which had spread to the bones

(i had the unfortunate responsibility of pain control at the end of his life, and god was nowhere in sight)

my father was an atheist (or a realist, as i like to think of it), and he also thought that it was better to pay for our mistakes in this world

see

we are not so different after all

we all end up in the same place

keith

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2006, 06:22:06 AM »

He said enough has been said about it.

Barish

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2006, 01:43:06 PM »

Although I started it, I got the point, apologised and let it go.

I can't do anymore than that.

B.
M Ozturk

maxim

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2006, 07:55:34 PM »

fair enough

i just want to take this opportunity to remind all the over-40 males out there (and you know who you are!) to go out and have a blood test for prostate cancer, if you haven't had one this year

check your sugar and cholesterol while you're there

end of public announcement

danickstr

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2006, 07:57:44 PM »

if you go to get your prostate checked and there are lots of candles in the doctor's office, find another doctor, or sit back and enjoy the ride if you are so inclined Shocked  Laughing
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.