R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Unsolicited Advice  (Read 6620 times)

j.hall

Re: Unsolicited Advice
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 10:44:07 AM »

Fibes wrote on Wed, 23 May 2007 09:32

I have one global rule:

Keep an open mind.

my thoughts exactly.

Quote:

minister wrote:

so, the fewer 'global rules' applied, the better the mix?

irony? or sarcasm?

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 07:00:34 AM »

archtop wrote on Tue, 22 May 2007 15:58

I think the guy just hates the E above middle C.

I did find this from : http://www.answers.com/topic/frequency

I didn't want to quote too much, just the juicy bits.

Less melodious, but still certainly tolerable, is an interval known as a third. Three steps up from middle C is E, with a frequency of 330 Hz, yielding a ratio involving higher numbers than that of a fifth?4:5. Again, the higher the numbers involved in the ratio, the less appealing the sound is to the human ear: the combination E-F, with a ratio of 15:16, sounds positively grating.

I heard theory about ratios should be prime numbers or should not have any common divider then it will give more pleasent sound. I think it is actually true. But anyway somebody who wrote this article have open mind:)
You don't want to use thease rules in Jazz dont you? I usually avoid playing third in lover octaves in Pop/Rock music. That will give more definition. I think everybody likes sus chords don't you?
Anyway you cannot analyze harmony by any theory like that.

Which frequency should i cut if song is in a key of E????Smile)))))))))))))))

grantis

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »

Quote:

Which frequency should i cut if song is in a key of E????Smile)))))))))))))))

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 12:34:04 AM »

Are you sure that EQ designed without oversampling could handle uper frequencies (above 20k) without artifacts?
i heard someone suggest passfilter after each stage of processing:))))
somebody EQ'd even at 30k:)
Smile))))))))))))))

Tomas Danko

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 11:28:10 AM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Tue, 29 May 2007 05:34

Are you sure that EQ designed without oversampling could handle uper frequencies (above 20k) without artifacts?

There are ways to compensate for this, instead of using lots of oversampling. See a recent discussion thread over at Bruno Putzey's forum, with some quotes from Mr. Paul Frindle himself as well.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »

Could you please point exact thread?
Currently i don't see how FIR/IIR based filter can solve this design problem. As corresponding FFT transform will have band limited at Fs/2 as i remember, and convolution is just like multiplication in Freq domain. Anyway what will happen with responce in time domain? unpredictable phase rotations, distortions. I will try this in matlab filter design toolbox. Some nastalgy from school times:) And will give plots for phase spectrum and amplitude i i will succeed, for different filter coeficients.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 03:40:02 PM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Tue, 29 May 2007 20:02

Currently i don't see how FIR/IIR based filter can solve this design problem. As corresponding FFT transform will have band limited at Fs/2 as i remember, and convolution is just like multiplication in Freq domain. Anyway what will happen with responce in time domain? unpredictable phase rotations, distortions. I will try this in matlab filter design toolbox. Some nastalgy from school times:) And will give plots for phase spectrum and amplitude i i will succeed, for different filter coeficients.

It's not about FIR/IIR, and it's not convolution. It's about practical implementation.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/16683/2699/

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 05:19:23 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Tue, 29 May 2007 14:40

It's not about FIR/IIR, and it's not convolution. It's about practical implementation.

Unfortunately on that theread are still not any "practical" implementation. And filters they are talking are "IIR" filters and they are using convolution by the way.
Anyway thnks for pointing out interesting subject.
I beleve if you don't have Ofxord filters you still don't want to lowpass after each stage of processing? Or maybe somebody have different oppinions? Anyway even idea of lowpassing after having  already alisased impact is quite "amateur" to me.(sorry for going there.) Lowpass is done in ADC converters and you should be happy with that.

Best regards, Vladislavs

Tomas Danko

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 05:46:56 AM »

Vladislavs Korehovs wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 10:19

Tomas Danko wrote on Tue, 29 May 2007 14:40

Unfortunately on that theread are still not any "practical" implementation. And filters they are talking are "IIR" filters and they are using convolution by the way.
Anyway thnks for pointing out interesting subject.
I beleve if you don't have Ofxord filters you still don't want to lowpass after each stage of processing? Or maybe somebody have different oppinions? Anyway even idea of lowpassing after having  already alisased impact is quite "amateur" to me.(sorry for going there.) Lowpass is done in ADC converters and you should be happy with that.

Best regards, Vladislavs

By implementation I didn't imply (heh) that it would provide you with a practical DIY walk-through. Still, it's about implementation in the sense that decramping as a method can be a more elegant solution than brute force oversampling which takes more resources.

Paul Frindle didn't talk about convolution, because afaik he doesn't do that.

I agree, of course it's a moot point to LPF anything above 20K to avoid aliasing if it's already in there.

Also, what are the penalty for using the same curve repeatedly across every channel, and then every next step that contains the same channels. I think the cure is worse than the problem, if one could even call it that. It's like HPF-ing everything @20 Hz instead of fixing grounding and getting a proper DC offset (ie none).

The way I see things, it's not a problem these days. There are bigger worries when trying to maintain some quality audio.

Vladislavs Korehovs

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »

hello, unfortunatelly every single filter in digital domain is based on convolution except comb filters and pure frequency domain filtering, which is funniest way of filtering ever created.

http://dspcan.homestead.com/files/Ztran/zcon1.htm

Berolzheimer

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 02:13:47 PM »

floodstage wrote on Tue, 22 May 2007 13:06

I wonder if  the advice giver mixes in a room with a peak at 330 hz.

That's exactly what I thought.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.