R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: great session this weekend  (Read 1491 times)

bryanarchy

great session this weekend
« on: November 06, 2006, 02:14:57 AM »

I tracked this band yesterday and today and i had so much fun! I wasn't sure that i was going to enjoy it; the drummer had helped me tape the drywall in my studio so i swapped time for time. Sometimes gigs like that feel like they suck the life out of you. This time was different!

The band played a style of music that i could really get into (dirty, synthy no wave). Best of all, the drummer, although unschooled could not only play with a click track, but could really groove with it. I am definitely not a get everything to a grid kind of guy, but when a drummer shows the ability to play to a click and it works, i like it.

What's even better is i'm getting used to my rooms and i got some awesome drum and bass tones. I hear a couple things that i need to fix in the drum room, but nothing that tweaking the acoustic treatment can't fix.

Anyways, the band was really open to ideas; they were more than happy to plug in a ton of different synths and sequencers to make better noises than their microkorg could do. There were no egos and everyone's opinion and ideas were considered.

Man, i don't know what the deal is... why can't a paying gig be this easy? I can hardly wait to work on the mixes for this project.

TheViking

Re: great session this weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:47:17 PM »

bryanarchy wrote on Mon, 06 November 2006 02:14

Man, i don't know what the deal is... why can't a paying gig be this easy? I can hardly wait to work on the mixes for this project.

Money tends to create added expectations.   It's a refreshing time when everything just works.   Enjoy those moments...   they're the ones that remind us why we do this stuff in the first place.
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 03:08:45 PM »

TheViking wrote on Mon, 06 November 2006 11:47

bryanarchy wrote on Mon, 06 November 2006 02:14

Money tends to create added expectations.   It's a refreshing time when everything just works.   Enjoy those moments...   they're the ones that remind us why we do this stuff in the first place.

i don't know.  i think the pay gigs easier as you gain experience in dealing with them.  right now, i'd much rather do a pay gig then have the freedom to work however i want on a free gig.

then again, i ALWAYS work however i want.

i think the pay gigs separate the men from the boys, and recently i've found that the better artist expect to pay and have little problem with it.

bryanarchy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 10:19:03 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 07 November 2006 13:08

i think the pay gigs separate the men from the boys, and recently i've found that the better artist expect to pay and have little problem with it.

This is definitely true in recording as it is in my alter ego profession. When people pay a premium rate they tend to respect the decisions you make and take things very seriously. When people low-ball, they expect over and above what they really deserve.

What sucks though is when you've been doing paying gigs for a while and you lose sight of the creative assets you bring to the table. This session helped remind me of that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.