R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Barrel vault ceilings  (Read 3014 times)

EP

Barrel vault ceilings
« on: November 05, 2006, 06:59:54 PM »

Hi all-

From what I have read, a barrel vault ceiling is a very undesireable configuration, acoustically.....

I am trying to understand a bit more on the subject, can anyone point me to a good discussion about it? I searched here and came up empty, sorry if its already been in play.

(I am doing a new room soon, and I have a challenge: the roof structure will slope 'shed style' across the room the short way, so in order to create a decent listening environment, the ceiling shape needs to be altered. I could just slope it from the middle so as to be equal, but then the thought of a barrel or other config. came into my mind......The low side is only 8' before treatment, and the high side is 10' so making it flat is not a great solution I think)

Thanks,

Erik

Ethan Winer

Re: Barrel vault ceilings
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 01:19:37 PM »

Erik,

> From what I have read, a barrel vault ceiling is a very undesireable configuration, acoustically <

Yes, concave shapes tend to focus the sound, which is bad. it's the opposite of diffusion which is good. But you can avoid the focusing by placing absorption under the peaked portion. The photo below shows how I treated under the peak in my home studio. Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

--Ethan

http://www.ethanwiner.com/ceiling_traps.jpg

Former Oceanway drone

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 06:59:02 PM »

Unless you're talking about a structure that was built during the middle ages, the chance of you having to deal with barrel vaults is pretty limited. N

EP

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 07:45:55 PM »

Former Oceanway drone wrote on Tue, 07 November 2006 23:59

Unless you're talking about a structure that was built during the middle ages, the chance of you having to deal with barrel vaults is pretty limited. N
Pages: [1]   Go Up