R/E/P > Dan Lavry

How Well Does the Alesis AI-4 Work?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tomas Danko:
There's someone around these webforum premises having a signature stating that there are no homeopathic properties in ones and zeroes.

If a harddrive wouldn't be able to read and write correctly you wouldn't even be able to boot your OS. This is not the same issue as a CD audio player. Checksum to the rescue.

If the unit can input and output the correct bit depth and sample rate, and it's not broken, it should be able to perform a bit transparent throughput.

ADC and DAC's aside, digital audio information already captured is not going to alter merely because of some S/P DIF or TOSlink connections. Assuming the hardware is not broken, of course.

1073 -> Hosa -> console is not even remotely close to the same scenario. But I know you're aware of that already.

danickstr:
the cable thing is a bad example, I agree.  Zeroes and ones seem unlikely candidates for getting messed up, and that was why they were invented in the first place.  I wonder if the Alesis takes the AES and drops it to SPDIF levels and then spits it out an led, sinc e there is always the possiblity of a 20 bit cutoff in that case.

Jon Hodgson:
danickstr wrote on Sat, 11 November 2006 01:39
the cable thing is a bad example, I agree.  Zeroes and ones seem unlikely candidates for getting messed up, and that was why they were invented in the first place.  I wonder if the Alesis takes the AES and drops it to SPDIF levels and then spits it out an led, sinc e there is always the possiblity of a 20 bit cutoff in that case.

The ADAT Lightpipe is a 24 bit connection.

danickstr:
Like I said, the cable analogy was not necessarily appropriate.  But let's look at this thing from a different perspective.  Dan has chosen not to put toslink connectors on his higher end units.  Is this because he cannot afford to charge his customers an extra 10 bucks for a toslink circuit?  Or is there another reason.  I admit that toslink or a toslink converter is all but necessary in this digital world, for the sake of convenience.  It just seems odd to me that the only solution at this stage for translation is to make one yourself or use a 400 dollar box from a company with a reputation for making low-cost basic gear as a gap-filling measure.

mdemeyer:
If you are using the unit for format conversion in a data transfer, then the only question is whether it transfers the data unchanged.  

If you are using it to feed a DAC for playback, then the box could introduce audible effects even if the data transfer is accurate since (I believe) the ADAT data stream contains an embedded clock, and your DAC might be of less than perfect design/performance and could be influenced by timing variations (commonly called jitter) on the clock embedded in the data stream.

Which way are you using it - data transfer or playback?

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version