R/E/P > Dan Lavry

How Well Does the Alesis AI-4 Work?

(1/3) > >>

Haolemon:
I'm planning to connect a certain blue-faced AD/DA unit to a DAW interface with an ADAT connection.  The converter unit has AES XLR I/O, so I was considering using the Alesis to interface the converter with the DAW.

My question is-does the AI-4 operate as a single purpose computer, such that it does this conversion more or less perfectly, or will it somehow degrade the signal?

Also, are there units which do a better job of this?

Thanks

PookyNMR:
My understanding of the unit and of transferring digital signals from one format to another (AES <--> ADAT <-->SPDIF) is that once the signal is digital that no harm is done to it by such transfers provided that the proper connections with the appropriate cabling are made.

danickstr:
something just sounds wrong to me about running a lavry into an Alesis.

Tomas Danko:
danickstr wrote on Sun, 05 November 2006 18:38
something just sounds wrong to me about running a lavry into an Alesis.

Why, if it's digital and transparent should it matter? Other than having to stare at a "lesser logo".

danickstr:
Thomas I would honestly like to think it makes no difference but it seems that every time I assume something is transparent (like a cable) it turns out it is not.  I would not use a Hosa cable out of a 1073 into the board because I know it is not going to perform well.  How does this apply to digital?  I ahve yet to see a librarian that did not put something in the wrong place every now and then, and in this case I mean bits.  Theory = no problem.  Reality = some kind of problem in execution.  

Should a hard drive write data perfectly? Yes, but it does not always do it.  The throughput device has to move a lot of data quickly through its multiple ports and I guess my first question would be how well regulated is its power supply.  

Well these are just a few thoughts about the jitters of digital data crunching.  Could be I am completely wrong.  Dan would know better than I how much these factors are able to affect the sound.

I do hope Dan chimes in here since I think this is a valid issue - converting the AES digital from a box into lightpipe for a board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version