R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My New Summing Box  (Read 6424 times)

iCombs

My New Summing Box
« on: October 31, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »

My 2 favorite words in the English language?  "Quad" and "Eight."

http://www.lightspeedgroup.biz/Lightspeed%20Group%20file%20transfer/Cicero%20Demo/Me%20Pops%20and%20the%20Prize.jpg
http://www.lightspeedgroup.biz/Lightspeed%20Group%20file%20transfer/Cicero%20Demo/First%208%20Channels.jpg
http://www.lightspeedgroup.biz/Lightspeed%20Group%20file%20transfer/Cicero%20Demo/Master%20Section%20Oscillator%20and%20Meters.jpg
http://www.lightspeedgroup.biz/Lightspeed%20Group%20file%20transfer/Cicero%20Demo/Gain%20Brain%20Kepex%20and%20Echo%20Returns.jpg

Y'all will probably shit when I tell you what I paid for it...
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

archtop

Re: My New Summing Box
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 11:39:41 AM »

Well you can't leave us hangin'

I've got the toilet paper ready.
Richard Williams

NelsonL

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:24:22 PM »

Very cool-- check out Orphan Audio, I've heard he may be able to supply replacement AM4 opamps if you need them.

I have a pair of QE Pacifica type pres that I love.

Congrats--

Liam

PS, what's missing besides the patchbay?

iCombs

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 12:47:04 PM »

have the patchbay.  was supposed to have a pair of 712 EQ's, a compressor, and a pair of mic pre's that aren't there.  But, as you can see there's a Gain-Brain and Kepex there...so I don't feel SO bad about not having the compressor.  

This will be an ongoing project, but suffice it to say that we DEFINITELY got our money's worth.

All zero dollars.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

rankus

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 05:49:23 PM »

I hate you Ian!

Naw... just really f%$@ing jealous!
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

jimmyjazz

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 11:31:50 AM »

How did you score a free console?

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:12:37 PM »

nice!!!!

i've heard a lot of good things about those consoles.  i have some sphere EQ modules that i've been told are similar, if so......you'll be loving that thing.

iCombs

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 03:23:09 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Wed, 01 November 2006 10:31

How did you score a free console?

*THE STORY*

A pretty high buck film and audio post house (CineSound 2) in town closed when the owner died unexpectedly in August. They had a bunch of AMS/Neve Audio File systems that they were going to either give away or throw away, so we figured we'd better go down and look. We were searching for manuals and such in a storage room and on a shelf I noticed a green three-ring binder that said "Quad 8 Console" on the side. I said, "oh, he had a Quad 8? That's cool." "Oh, we still have that!"

"WHAT?!? WHERE?"

"It's in storage in another office in this complex...I don't have the key, but I'll get it on friday...I was just going to get rid of it..."

I damn near shit my pants saying "NO DON'T WE'LL TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS!!!"

We chatted for a bit and set things up to pick it up on Friday. Well...the guy with the keys didn't show on Friday, so we had to wait over the weekend...I was tense, to say the least. I didn't want this thing walking away from me...it was WAY too rare a score to see go away...so we sat on our hands over the weekend. I headed down to Minneapolis for class Monday morning only to get stuck in traffic because of 3 accidents. What is a 20-25 minute drive in clear conditions (and a half hour to 40 during rush) took an hour and ten minutes. Needless to say I skipped out and went home...I ditched my second class of the afternoon as well. I got home right about 9 a.m. and called our gal at the studio.."Yep...it's out of storage...come on down and pick it up!!" So my buddy Andrew grabbed his dad's F-350 and we trucked it down there (pun completely intended) and spent a good hour wrestling that SOB into the back of the truck. YAHOOO!!!

This is a Quad Eight film dubbing console. All the MM310 Mix Channels are line level only. No mic preamps. I forgot to grab the docs when I came downstairs, and frankly, I'm about to fall asleep in the keyboard, so I'll post the model # info tomorrow.

Another most excellent thing is that this console's former owner was a complete gearhead. He has original blueprints for the console, and schematics for every component in the damn thing, not to mention the Q8 sales brochure from that year, cut sheets on 3 different consoles...schematics of those consoles...price lists, notes of wiring modifications...basically enough documentation to build this thing from scratch. No joke. It was built in 76 and decommissioned in 1990, when it seems as though it was cannibalized a little bit. It was SUPPOSED to have 2 712 graphic EQ's (think API 560) and 2 227 Mic preamps, as well as a CA2 compressor, all of which are notably missing. HOWEVER, the Kepex and the Gain-Brain don't appear anywhere in his docs, and are pretty frickin' cool things to find on the board.

I'm really excited to dig into this project, as it also looks like we'll have a facility outside the house by next summer or fall. Hopefully I can figure out how to make this thing functional...as there are some definite challenges. Namely that as far as I can tell, this board has a mono master section. anyone else notice the alarming lack of pan knobs? Took me 3 hours to figure that out. Plus the console frame straight up sucks. So...it basically needs a new summing/master section and pan pots on all the channels. That may mean a new buss assignment section (which I'm okay with, so long as I get to keep the echo sends). I'd also like to dig up 4 more mm310 strips so I could have a legit 16x2 summing mixer (with 16 channels of passive, inductor-based EQ), and 2 aux busses (that I'd really like to put a spring reverb and tape delay in). The frame will be rebuilt, with a few minor ergonomic changes and a space for a keyboard, mouse, and display. I'd like to add some stuff to that upper channel that houses the master secion and the Gain-Brain and Kepex (like a couple 3 more gain-brains and a couple Kepexes)...maybe convert a small section of it to 500-series size and put a few 500 size modules up there. there's an 11-U 19" rack to the left of the channels, and there's ample room for another on the right. If I can lose the logic section, I can make room for another 19" rack on the right, and have all my preamps and outboard 19" stuff (or at least most of it) on the desktop, which would be pretty frickin' cool.

I had a chat with Dan Kennedy yesterday, and he said he'd be willing to come up and help out with some stuff.  It's looking like I'm going to start a "Re-Building The Console" thread at StudioForums.  I'll be sure to post a link and let y'all know what's going on once I get the ball rolling!
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

NelsonL

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 03:35:19 PM »

Is it +/- 24v?

That's what my mic pres are, but they're AM10 based and I think you're looking at an AM4 design? Not sure.

Great story by the way!

jimmyjazz

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 03:38:55 PM »

You know, it's never me that scores these deals, so I guess I'll have to live vocariously through guys like you!  Good job . . .

iCombs

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 07:49:35 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Wed, 01 November 2006 14:35

Is it +/- 24v?

That's what my mic pres are, but they're AM10 based and I think you're looking at an AM4 design? Not sure.

Great story by the way!

According to my docs, it is +/- 28v...the board is a QE-1241 which means that it came out of the factory with:

-12 MM 310 BL Strips

-4 Busses

-2 Echo Send/Recieve Channels

-2 712 Graphic EQ's

-4 2B Compressors

-2 Mic Pres

-2 RV-10 Reberbs

I'm short all the fun stuff that isn't a channel strip...no 712's, 2b's, or Mic Pre's...but still...I can't bitch too loud.  I also have enough Quad Eight documentation to open up my own shop and start building the damn things...I've got a 2" three-ring binder that's FULL of documents...schenatics, wiring schedule for the console...quad eight brochure...it's pretty wild.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

Andy Peters

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 11:56:24 PM »

iCombs wrote on Wed, 01 November 2006 17:49

Is it +/- 24v?

According to my docs, it is +/- 28v...

A friend has a bunch of Quad-Eight modules and you're right, they're all +/- 28V.

Quote:

schenatics, wiring schedule for the console...quad eight brochure...it's pretty wild.

Any chance you could duplicate the preamp schematics for me?

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

iCombs

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 10:18:14 AM »

Andy Peters wrote on Wed, 01 November 2006 22:56

iCombs wrote on Wed, 01 November 2006 17:49

Is it +/- 24v?

According to my docs, it is +/- 28v...

A friend has a bunch of Quad-Eight modules and you're right, they're all +/- 28V.

Quote:

schenatics, wiring schedule for the console...quad eight brochure...it's pretty wild.

Any chance you could duplicate the preamp schematics for me?

-a

I don't have access to a scanner that big...most of the schematics are 4-panel foldout deals...I might be able to take a hi-res picture of one, if that'll do (depemds, also, on which amp card you are looking at...I only have the CA-27 amp cards).
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

NelsonL

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 01:11:25 PM »

Ah, my mistake. We're racking some Spectra Sonics that are +/- 24V, I guess I just had 24 on the brain.

Turns out the CA-27 is AM3 based-- but they're not potted which bodes well for repair. There's a JPEG over at Orphan Audio.

MI

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 02:18:05 PM »

Isn't it a Mono console?

You might be able to assign a post echo send as a L/R output, and use pairs of tracks for L/R, but the summing might not be same spec on the echo sends as main output...

Mario

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.