R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: small control room treatment (Bass Trap and Absorption)  (Read 5621 times)

tomcolliva

small control room treatment (Bass Trap and Absorption)
« on: October 29, 2006, 03:49:25 PM »

First of all: I'm quite new to this forum but I'm learning a lot reading all the previous posts and I'd like to thank everybody.

I'm going to enter my new control room (4mt x 5mt) next month. The room is part of an already working complex, and I'm sharing the live room with another control room. The control room already has a very good acoustic insulation with the live room and the lounge and a big (2mt x 1mt), thick, angled window facing the live area. Apart from a couch on the rear wall the room is completely empty and I'm thinking about treating the room properly. The room is a plasterboard "room in a room" design with floating floor. I thought that using a LEDE approach can be the first and easyest thing to do, putting absorbent panels on the front and side walls, bass traps on the corners and a diffuser (Schroeder, QRD or similar) on the rear wall. I'm going to build all the traps/panels by myself...

From this pic you can see the actual situation (see attached file)index.php/fa/3651/0/

see next topics for treatment ideas

... to be continued ...

TC

tomcolliva

Re: small control room treatment (Bass Trap and Absorption)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:53:39 PM »

Now here's a sketch of what I'm thinkin to do...index.php/fa/3652/0/
You can notice framed fibreglass panels for sidewalls and celeing (to cut the celeing angle too), diffuser on the back and bass traps on the four corners. I'm still not sure about what kind of bass trap to use: tube traps, rigid fibreglass panel to "cut the angle" or fibreglass chunks (see next post).

QUESTIONS:

- what's the best option for side walls panel: to attach them directly to the wall or to leave some airgap behind them (approx 2" not sealed airgap)?
- what's the best bass trap design: 12" diameter fibreglass tube trap (with 2" thick fibreglass pipe) or 2" fibreglass rigid panel to "cut the angle" or fibreglass chunks to fill the corner space?
- any other  cheap and simple idea to reduce the echo flutters coming from side walls apart from the absorbent panels?
- Any suggestion??? (GREATLY APPRECIATED)

I promise to keep this post updated as the treatment works proceed.
thanks a lot

TC

tomcolliva

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 03:56:17 PM »

finally here are the bass trap design options.

index.php/fa/3653/0/

thanks for your patience reading this long post,

BYe

TC

xAm

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 05:27:42 PM »

Quote:

- what's the best bass trap design: 12" diameter fibreglass tube trap (with 2" thick fibreglass pipe) or 2" fibreglass rigid panel to "cut the angle" or fibreglass chunks to fill the corner space?

I would go with the "Superchunk" style corner trap.

There seems to be a rather large consensus that the added mass/density of the filled cavity will dampen the low frequencies much more than than just a single 2" or 4" panel across the corner.

A 12" diameter tube is going to end up just being a tuned resonator, that may or may not be inclusive of "problem" frequencies.

Much of what I've been reading indicates that there is plenty of added benefit to be gained by adding corner trapping to all of the corners you can. e.g. the wall/ceiling corners.

HTH,
Max
WOW!

tomcolliva

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 07:03:02 PM »

Thanks a lot,

I was thinkin to fill the cavity of the rigid panel with fluffy fibreglass, would this works like the "chunks" design? (Chunks design is going to cost more than "rigid panel cutting angle" design)

Do you notice any evident failure in this treatment project?

thanks for the help TC

franman

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 07:04:25 PM »

TC,

Looks like you've got a very good handle on the basic approach to use. Regardless of what type of bass trap(s) you choose (I might try mixing up a few different styles), you should go in logical steps, and test (LISTEN!!) while you go. This way you can quantify the your progress at least aurally!!

I would tend to agree to xAm about the corner traps.. more insulation is generally good for broadband absorption. As far as other things you can do to break up flutter, don't discount the affect that furnishings and other normal "clutter" can have on breaking up flutter and the like... We almost typical count on a certain amount of stuff, to be 'installed' in smaller rooms... If you're trying to keep things super clean, than you have to deal with the sources of flutter that might bother you.

I really want to let you go for it, and keep us advised. The loyal readers won't let you do anything stupid!! Right guys?? Thanks for the post TC~~
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

tomcolliva

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 07:07:46 PM »

Thanks a lot Fran,

I'm going to build panel this week and install them the next one.
I'll let you know as far as the things proceed...

thanks

TC

tomcolliva

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 11:33:09 AM »

front corner / front / Side panels are in place...

I hope to be able to post some photos tomorrow.

I'm waiting for the ceiling / rear corners panel and rear wall diffuser for the moment

the room some definetly less muddy althought the bass / midbass range problems remain.

bye

TC

tomcolliva

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »

here we are....

left pic

index.php/fa/3702/0/

tomcolliva

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 04:42:49 PM »

...and right pic

index.php/fa/3703/0/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 16 queries.